Turn on thread page Beta

Working part time while at university. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to attend sheffield uni next september. I'd like to ask students who are already at university if they are finding part time work managable alongside a fulltime academic course or not?

ReputationRep:
    I do biochemistry (2nd year) and work saturday and mon afternoon in topshop which is fine. It just cuts down on the amount of time I get to slob around!

ReputationRep:
    And to be honest hardly anything happens at the weekends at uni so a saturday job won't have you missing out on anything

ReputationRep:
    How do you find jobs ? How much do you get monthly if you work 20hrs/week ?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think 15 hours a week would be managable?

ReputationRep:
    What course are you doing and which uni?

ReputationRep:
    I do a full-time job alongside full-time studies. I hadn't assumed that was possible, but with careful time management it is (8am-4pm university work, 4pm-midnight paid work). Part-time work is definitely manageable if you keep control of your time; if you get a job in the day, be willing to do uni work in the late evenings, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassie89)
    What course are you doing and which uni?
    I'm applying for urban design and planning, and Sheffield uni is my 1st choice.

ReputationRep:
    My friend did 40 hours a week at work and Full time english at uni as well, she got a 2.1 for that year, but with more work should could of got a first. But it affected her work, and she has cut her hours down. It was her second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I do a full-time job alongside full-time studies. I hadn't assumed that was possible, but with careful time management it is (8am-4pm university work, 4pm-midnight paid work). Part-time work is definitely manageable if you keep control of your time; if you get a job in the day, be willing to do uni work in the late evenings, for example.
    Up until a week ago I'd been working fulltime alongside a full time course. The only problem I had was finding sociable hours to practice so the neighbours didn't complain as I'm studying music. It's just about organising your time, but part time work is definitely possible. Although it all depends on how full your time table is.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the course you do, with a lot of courses if you work 12-16 hours a week you won't be missing out on study time, you'll be missing out on lying in bed/watching tv/on the internet time

ReputationRep:
    How many hours in the week are taken up with lectures on an average academic course at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty10)
    How many hours in the week are taken up with lectures on an average academic course at university?
    How long is a peice of string? We do 21 hours a week - My friend does 8.

ReputationRep:
    Me no work, me no eat. So me work.

ReputationRep:
    i think its a great idea, i should of done it whilst studying A levels. Afterall theres no guarantee your going to get a job after degree and if your getting a job and saving for a future investment that will pay dividends and not just having more money for a piss up? then why not money = life choices = success.

ReputationRep:
    It completely depends on what you're studying. I'm doing English and Philosophy, and I have 3 hours of lectures a week and 3 hours of tutorials/seminars a week.
    My housemates are doing science subjects...one has 23 hours a week for Physics, and another has about 15 hours a week for Biological and Medicinal Chemistry.

I have a part-time job and find it perfectly manageable. I don't have many contact hours in my subject, but this is because I'm expected to do alot of private study. I'd say anything between 5 and 12 hours a week part-time work is absolutely fine. As others have said, it just means you have to cut down on lazy time. Whatever you do, don't work a part-time job and let it affect your uni work instead of your slobbing time. Last year I got frustrated with flatmates who said they didn't have time to get a job because they had too much Uni work to do.....when infact they spent 80% of their time doing generally nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I do around 12-15 hours a week on my course, but then on top of that you have the 50 or so hours of study in your own time. You can't just assume if you don't have many contact hours that you'll have plenty of free time.

ReputationRep:
    I have 2-6 hours of lectures this year (3rd year) but on top of that I have to write my dissertation, organise concerts, practice my instruments and do assignments. So although it sounds very little I do have a lot of work to do. But very few courses have as few lectures as I do.

ReputationRep:
    I managed 12 hours on a weekend right through 1st and 2nd year and truth be told I could've probably managed it this year as well. Done a bit of saving though so who the hell works when they don't need to?

But yeah, definitely manageable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying dance (16hrs a week), with extra dance classes, cheerleading practice, musical rehearsals, go out every now and again, and I work between 8-16 hours a week. I like being busy though.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.