The Student Room Group

GCSE grades effect my chances?

This is going to be a quick post.

At GCSEs I got a D in English Lang and C in English Lit, At the moment I'm applying to unis to do Pharmacy.

All unis expect at least a min grade of C in English Lang which I got a D.
But my predicted grades for A levels are AAA in Maths, chemistry and Biology, also my personal statement is quite strong and my teacher ref is really good..

So is there a chance they can overlook this?

I really want to get into either Manchester Uni or Aston.

Thanks in advance

EDIT
Wow sorry guys... I'm stupid..

I just read my GCSE certificate and it says I got a D in English Lit and a C in English Lang..

Do you think Manchester Uni would overlook that I didnt get a B as I got a C in GCSE english lang and predicted AAA at Level
Umm, more then likely you'll have to retake...

Most University's expect a C in english as you have said and I guess that is for both language and literature!

Maybe ring up the University to ask however!
Reply 2
siQ
OP
What do I say to the Unis?
Reply 3
You need to talk to the unis that you applying to seperately, and see what they say. Just explain your situation, if you have sent off your UCAS they will already know who you are. Do you have any mignating circumstances?

No, they want you to have a C in English Language, but there is that very small chance that they might overlook D because of the C in the Eng. Lit. But I have never heard of anyone having that happen to them.

What did you do as your AS? Also what did you get in your science GCSE? They are v. influential....
Reply 4
siQ
OP
petzneo
You need to talk to the unis that you applying to seperately, and see what they say. Just explain your situation, if you have sent off your UCAS they will already know who you are. Do you have any mignating circumstances?

No, they want you to have a C in English Language, but there is that very small chance that they might overlook D because of the C in the Eng. Lit. But I have never heard of anyone having that happen to them.

What did you do as your AS? Also what did you get in your science GCSE? They are v. influential....

I got 2 As and a B at AS level, but arent predicted grades more important than your AS level grades??

I got BB in the double award for science GCSE and a B in maths.

Where in my ucas can I add that I'm gonna retake English Lang?
Reply 5
OP, find a local college or somewhere you can take the national adult literacy test.

Its level 2 so equivalent to a grade C at GCSE. All you have to do is sit a computer based test where you answer 40 multiple choice questions - its pretty easy.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/readwriteplus/learning
Reply 6
siQ
OP
Concept
OP, find a local college or somewhere you can take the national adult literacy test.

Its level 2 so equivalent to a grade C at GCSE. All you have to do is sit a computer based test where you answer 40 multiple choice questions - its pretty easy.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/readwriteplus/learning

Sounds good, but Manchester Uni require a grade B at English Lang or Lit :frown:
Reply 7
The title is slightly ironic considering the grade you got in GCSE English :wink:
Reply 8
siQ
I got 2 As and a B at AS level, but arent predicted grades more important than your AS level grades??

I got BB in the double award for science GCSE and a B in maths.

Where in my ucas can I add that I'm gonna retake English Lang?

Some of the unis like to go with the actual previous academic achievements if possible, i.e. AS results as they normally give an indication of your ability to achieve the predicted grades.

Your other GCSE grades are fine, have you asked them yet if they will accpet you with a C, before saying that you are retaking?
Reply 9
siQ
OP
petzneo
Some of the unis like to go with the actual previous academic achievements if possible, i.e. AS results as they normally give an indication of your ability to achieve the predicted grades.

Your other GCSE grades are fine, have you asked them yet if they will accpet you with a C, before saying that you are retaking?

But I got a D in english Lang and I'm going to ring them up today
Reply 10
siQ
Sounds good, but Manchester Uni require a grade B at English Lang or Lit :frown:

Well I'm not sure what else you could do. Good luck anyway.
Reply 11
siQ
OP
Wow sorry guys... I'm stupid..

I just read my GCSE certificate and it says I got a D in English Lit and a C in English Lang..

Do you think Manchester Uni would overlook that I didnt get a B as I got a C in GCSE english lang and predicted AAA at Level
Reply 12
loool, you are v. lucky! Maybe, but i still insist that you phone them or send an email to the admission tutors. The sooner you know the better.

What other universities did you apply to?
Reply 13
siQ
OP
petzneo
loool, you are v. lucky! Maybe, but i still insist that you phone them or send an email to the admission tutors. The sooner you know the better.

What other universities did you apply to?

I'll phone up tomorrow and ask

I'm applying to Nottingham, Aston, Portsmouth and De montfort University (and manchester uni).
Reply 14
oh wow good unis, what made you choose de montfort tho?
Reply 15
siQ
OP
petzneo
oh wow good unis, what made you choose de montfort tho?

My brother told me too :frown: .. I had put down cardiff but he said that I was applying to too many good unis.

Oh well I just sent off my UCAS app today.. now to wait :woo: :woo:

Thanks for all the advice :smile:
Reply 16
the problem with demontfort is with its accreditation problems...why don't you pick something like brighton or reading instead? They are much better choices, and with brighton you don't need to go to an interview, straight offer. You still have time to change you know...
Reply 17
siQ
OP
petzneo
the problem with demontfort is with its accreditation problems...why don't you pick something like brighton or reading instead? They are much better choices, and with brighton you don't need to go to an interview, straight offer. You still have time to change you know...

Argg I hate my brother now.. his a sly piece of ****.. Thanks for the advice I'm gonna change on monday if it isn't too late.
Reply 18
Ok, but go research brighton and reading before you change it, I should also remind you that the course at reading is new so no accreditation. See I would have recommend portsmouth except that unless you put them as your firm, you have to get at least ABB to get in...

Brighton is absolutely great as an insurance choice, there are a lot of clever people in my course

Latest

Trending

Trending