The Student Room Group

GCSE RS?

Good or boring?
In my school we had to do it and i actually found it interesting! I think it depends on what religions your school picks though, my school did Christianity and Buddhism.
I did RS in year 9 as a one year couse and i thought it was an easy gcse to get a good grade in (got a 7).
If you like learning about religion and are ok with learning a bunch of quotes then go for it!
But personally my favourite gcse was psychology lol
Reply 2
Ngl I find rs really boring. It probably depends on the religions your school is doing. I do Islam and Christianity. It is a lot of content but if you revise right you can get easy marks. If your school has another interesting subject, go for that. Rs has a lot of quotes, beliefs and also some philosophy so if you’re okay with that, then choose rs.
Original post by kobunnies
In my school we had to do it and i actually found it interesting! I think it depends on what religions your school picks though, my school did Christianity and Buddhism.
I did RS in year 9 as a one year couse and i thought it was an easy gcse to get a good grade in (got a 7).
If you like learning about religion and are ok with learning a bunch of quotes then go for it!
But personally my favourite gcse was psychology lol

Hey, thanks for the reply! Is there a lot of writing in the exams? Is there a lot of time pressure?
Original post by NormalBrit
Hey, thanks for the reply! Is there a lot of writing in the exams? Is there a lot of time pressure?

Yes there is a lot of writing but it isn’t like English- the bulk of there questions are recall.
The last question is an evaluation 12 marker which is a bit different tho because you’ll need to come to your own conclusion.

As for time pressure- from what I remember I felt some time pressure, but as long as you plan out your timings I think you’ll be alright.
I’ve linked a paper (Christianity) so you can judge the questions yourself :smile:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2021/november/AQA-806213-QP-NOV21.PDF

For AQA you need to do:
1 marker- Keyword
2 marker- Normally listing 2 things
4 marker- Point, Explain X2
5 marker- Point, Evidence, Explain + Point, Evidence
12 marker- Agree 1, Disagree 1, Agree 2, Disagree 2, Conclusion

You have to do all of that in 25 minutes. For me i find this a good amount of time but i know people who find it quite hard to get everything done!
I am doing Paper 1: Catholic Christianity (creation, incarnation, the Triune God, redemption, church and eschatology) and Paper 2: Perspectives on Faith (Relationships and families, Peace and conflict and Judaism)
Personally I enjoyed it, and I got a 9 (my school made us do RS/RE).
It isn't exactly a difficult subject as long as you can write a good argument and keep an open mind when learning about different religions.
My school did Christianity and Islam.
Original post by Sophstudent25
Personally I enjoyed it, and I got a 9 (my school made us do RS/RE).
It isn't exactly a difficult subject as long as you can write a good argument and keep an open mind when learning about different religions.
My school did Christianity and Islam.

Thanks! I think I'll take it now. What were your other options?
I find it boring but that could just be because i’m a very maths/science kind of person, so it’s not what i’m interested in!
Thanks! I think I'll take it now. What were your other options?

It’s kind of hard to say because my school didn’t give us a choice for a lot of subjects.
Maths, English, Triple science (didn’t get to pick)
Spanish (didn’t get to pick)
History and geography
And then PE.
Good or boring?

boring but easy grade. my school did Christianity and Islam, with the other 4 themes being crime and punishment, religion and life, existence of god and relationship and families. i was predicted a 7 but ended up with a 9, just by memorising quotes and linking them with the question well and having a set structure.
Good or boring?

we had to do it in my school but it was super easy, a bit boring but i got a 9 easily with no revision at all so wouldnt say its bad but kinda boring

Quick Reply