The Student Room Group

Where to apply

The UCAS deadline is on wednesday, and I still dont know where to apply. Im looking to study basically anything in economics or business or finance.

Basically, I ****ed my yr12 exams so my teachers have given me **** predictions, but I'm still trying to see if I can apply to a half decent uni. My predictions are DDE, so really im just scraping the barrel and seeing what I can find.

There are a few good courses but theyre all with a foundation year. Anyone know any unis with a decent reputation that have courses without a foundation year? Or, if the uni offers a course with and without a foundation year, should I apply for the one with or without it? If i apply for the course without the foundation year, and they dont offer me a spot, could they offer me a place on the course with the foundation year? or is that unlikely
there definitely are good unis but it depends what course you are looking at doing. narrow down the grade requirements and universities you are interested in.
If I was you I would apply to the places with 'decent reputation' for foundation years.
Or if you don't want to do a foundation year but think you'll do well in exams then just take a gap year and work or do work experience so you can strengthen your application for the next year.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by milkchoco1ate
The UCAS deadline is on wednesday, and I still dont know where to apply. Im looking to study basically anything in economics or business or finance.

Basically, I ****ed my yr12 exams so my teachers have given me **** predictions, but I'm still trying to see if I can apply to a half decent uni. My predictions are DDE, so really im just scraping the barrel and seeing what I can find.

There are a few good courses but theyre all with a foundation year. Anyone know any unis with a decent reputation that have courses without a foundation year? Or, if the uni offers a course with and without a foundation year, should I apply for the one with or without it? If i apply for the course without the foundation year, and they dont offer me a spot, could they offer me a place on the course with the foundation year? or is that unlikely

Hi,
With these predicted grades you can still apply to Unis which have a good reputation but I would advise looking at placing with a foundation course on your application, although you can have one of the five options as an 'aspirational' course. You can find Uni's that do those courses and whether they fit your grades here https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/courses
University of Kent for example require DDC for economics with a foundation year whilst considering applicants on an individual basis. https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/5799/economics-foundation-year
Foundation years are not a bad thing to consider as they help you to grasp an understanding of your subject before you commit to the whole three-year course. If you do end up achieving higher grades on results day and you have applied to universities with foundation courses, you can reach out to apply for the courses without the foundation year in clearing. https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/clearing-what-you-need-know
Hope this helps!
-Malek
University of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending