The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston University Experience

Hi, I received an unconditional offer from Kingston for BA Fashion Promotion and Communication which I'm thinking about accepting - does anyone know what Kingston School of Art is like for fashion? It has a good ranking, so I'm quite interested in it.

Also, if anyone knows if the refurbishment for Seething Wells accomodation is any good, do let me know, as that's the one I'm looking into for halls :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by momo.ko
Hi, I received an unconditional offer from Kingston for BA Fashion Promotion and Communication which I'm thinking about accepting - does anyone know what Kingston School of Art is like for fashion? It has a good ranking, so I'm quite interested in it.

Also, if anyone knows if the refurbishment for Seething Wells accomodation is any good, do let me know, as that's the one I'm looking into for halls :smile:

I also received an unconditional for this course a few days ago!
I’m thinking the same, because it’s higher than CSM for fashion design but not sure where it ranks in terms of communications. Where else have you applied? x
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Hi @momo.ko!

First of all, big congratulations on your offer! It’s great to hear you’re considering Kingston as one of your options.

I’m not a fashion student, but thought I still might be of some help as I’m friends with a good few on campus and know the KSA facilities! 😊 One thing I can say is that KSA recently invested a lot of money into their workshops, which have an open access policy (which means anyone from any course can use them). This has led to some really innovative designs by students through the incorporation of these different workshops into their own pieces I heard of one student last year who made a full outfit out of chainmail in the metal workshop! However, fashion students also have their own knit, sewing and print workshops, with both domestic and industrial-level machinery and a technician on hand to help with anything students might not be able to do themselves. The photography studios are also easy to access and have industry level equipment - I have to admit I’ve stumbled into one or two fashion shoots by accident when I went to take some pictures of my art!

Whilst I don’t personally stay in Seething Wells, a lot of my KSA friends do and they seem to really like it especially since they have their own en-suites (admittedly, I’m a bit jealous). I’ve been over to the halls a few times to hang out with some friends and I’ve always enjoyed it, it looks quite modern after the refurbishment and everyone I’ve encountered there seems really friendly.

If you’ve any questions, or anything I can help you with further, just let me know! :biggrin:

Eve (First-year BA Hons Fine Art and Art History).
Reply 3
Original post by averymay
I also received an unconditional for this course a few days ago!
I’m thinking the same, because it’s higher than CSM for fashion design but not sure where it ranks in terms of communications. Where else have you applied? x

Hi, I also applied to De Montfort, Bucks New Uni, Hertfordshire and Middlesex Uni; I was mostly between Kingston and Bucks though as their courses seem to be well ranked and have good links to industry! I was confused about the fashion comms course too - no-one really speaks about it as the BA Fashion course is quite popular at Kingston which is why I was a little worried - I wanted to apply to CSM/UAL but the accomodation was quite costly lol. How about you?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @momo.ko!

First of all, big congratulations on your offer! It’s great to hear you’re considering Kingston as one of your options.

I’m not a fashion student, but thought I still might be of some help as I’m friends with a good few on campus and know the KSA facilities! 😊 One thing I can say is that KSA recently invested a lot of money into their workshops, which have an open access policy (which means anyone from any course can use them). This has led to some really innovative designs by students through the incorporation of these different workshops into their own pieces I heard of one student last year who made a full outfit out of chainmail in the metal workshop! However, fashion students also have their own knit, sewing and print workshops, with both domestic and industrial-level machinery and a technician on hand to help with anything students might not be able to do themselves. The photography studios are also easy to access and have industry level equipment - I have to admit I’ve stumbled into one or two fashion shoots by accident when I went to take some pictures of my art!

Whilst I don’t personally stay in Seething Wells, a lot of my KSA friends do and they seem to really like it especially since they have their own en-suites (admittedly, I’m a bit jealous). I’ve been over to the halls a few times to hang out with some friends and I’ve always enjoyed it, it looks quite modern after the refurbishment and everyone I’ve encountered there seems really friendly.

If you’ve any questions, or anything I can help you with further, just let me know! :biggrin:

Eve (First-year BA Hons Fine Art and Art History).

Thank you for your reply! This makes me feel a little better now - I have the applicant day in March so I guess when I see it in person I'll have a better chance to think about it!
Original post by momo.ko
Hi, I also applied to De Montfort, Bucks New Uni, Hertfordshire and Middlesex Uni; I was mostly between Kingston and Bucks though as their courses seem to be well ranked and have good links to industry! I was confused about the fashion comms course too - no-one really speaks about it as the BA Fashion course is quite popular at Kingston which is why I was a little worried - I wanted to apply to CSM/UAL but the accomodation was quite costly lol. How about you?

Hey, I’ve applied to LCF, Ravensbourne, Brighton for Fashion Comms and then CSM for Fashion Journalism because I’ve had my heart set on London since I was little! Honestly not sure how I’ll be able to afford to even eat lol.
I spoke to my Textiles teacher and she said Kingston is like the equivalent of Oxbridge for Fashion, so if the design course is highly acclaimed then hopefully communications would still be good.
Hope all goes well for you!
Reply 6
Hey, I’ve applied to LCF, Ravensbourne, Brighton for Fashion Comms and then CSM for Fashion Journalism because I’ve had my heart set on London since I was little! Honestly not sure how I’ll be able to afford to even eat lol.
I spoke to my Textiles teacher and she said Kingston is like the equivalent of Oxbridge for Fashion, so if the design course is highly acclaimed then hopefully communications would still be good.
Hope all goes well for you!

Yeah, London is a good place to be for fashion courses - good luck with yours too!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi @averymay!

I was the exact same when I was applying - I think I'd already decided I wanted to study in London when I was 11! And whilst I was worried about the costs (especially considering my loan wasn't great), I have to admit one of the best things about Kingston is that it is significantly cheaper than studying in central London. Whilst you still qualify for the 'living in London' maintenance loan from Student Finance, accommodation tends to be less expensive and there's generally less transport costs. There's also a decent job market if you're interested in picking up some part-time work to supplement your income, and Kingston University offers a range of easily accessible support services for any students struggling with the cost of living.

No matter where you end up, with a well-planned budget you'll be absolutely fine. :smile:

Eve.
It would be nice and helpful to tell people pros and cons of Kingston University. Information from representatives can and maybe biased.
Original post by momo.ko
Yeah, London is a good place to be for fashion courses - good luck with yours too!

Hi, just wondering, how long after your offer did you get an invitation for an applicant experience day? I got mine last Tuesday and still nothing so I’m stressing a bit. Just so I can book time of work etc. :smile:
Reply 10
Hi, just wondering, how long after your offer did you get an invitation for an applicant experience day? I got mine last Tuesday and still nothing so I’m stressing a bit. Just so I can book time of work etc. :smile:

Hi, I received a conditional in late December, but was then switched to an unconditional in early January. I only just got the email about the applicant day about two weeks after, around the end of January, and they told me the day I could book for was for Saturday 11th March? Apparently they hold them in Feb as well but I could only book for the March one - I'm not sure if different departments/faculties have different days, but yours might be that day too; if two weeks is a bit of wait for you, you could try emailing the admissions team about it! :smile:
Original post by momo.ko
Hi, I received a conditional in late December, but was then switched to an unconditional in early January. I only just got the email about the applicant day about two weeks after, around the end of January, and they told me the day I could book for was for Saturday 11th March? Apparently they hold them in Feb as well but I could only book for the March one - I'm not sure if different departments/faculties have different days, but yours might be that day too; if two weeks is a bit of wait for you, you could try emailing the admissions team about it! :smile:

Ah, thanks so much for replying! Luckily I’m not working that Saturday so hopefully I’ll be invited to attend on that day.
My insta is @tillymessham by the way if you want to keep in touch, considering we might be on the same course together later this year! :smile: (no pressure though lol!)
Reply 12
Ah, thanks so much for replying! Luckily I’m not working that Saturday so hopefully I’ll be invited to attend on that day.
My insta is @tillymessham by the way if you want to keep in touch, considering we might be on the same course together later this year! :smile: (no pressure though lol!)

No worries! Yeah, it'd be nice to know someone beforehand in case we both go - I've sent you a request on insta. Let me know when you find out about your applicant day :smile:
Original post by momo.ko

Hello. I applied to Kingston University back in January for Interior Design and was then asked to submit a digital portfolio, which I uploaded back in February. However, I still haven't received an invitation to an interview or a acceptance/rejection. What does this mean? Is it normal for it to take this long? How long should I wait to hear back from them?
Hello, you need to contact admissions. Did they confirm that they received your portfolio? I would give them a call.

Original post by mahroush112
Hello. I applied to Kingston University back in January for Interior Design and was then asked to submit a digital portfolio, which I uploaded back in February. However, I still haven't received an invitation to an interview or a acceptance/rejection. What does this mean? Is it normal for it to take this long? How long should I wait to hear back from them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending