The Student Room Group

A-level pick

Hi, I'm planning to take maths, politics and law as my A-levels but I'm unsure that I'll be able to get LAW as my alevel. As I want to become a lawyer. So I'll be still able to do law at uni if I don't get law as my alevel? And is this a strong pick?
that's perfectly fine, you don't need to worry about not taking law a-level, no law degree requires it. in fact, you may be better off taking a different a-level such as english lit, since law and politics together aren't considered a strong set of subjects (maths is fine, though).
Original post by Nav17.
Hi, I'm planning to take maths, politics and law as my A-levels but I'm unsure that I'll be able to get LAW as my alevel. As I want to become a lawyer. So I'll be still able to do law at uni if I don't get law as my alevel? And is this a strong pick?

Don't do law as most unis don't like it. History is a better option or maybe English lit.
Original post by Nav17.

You don't need specific A levels subjects to study law at degree level so choose three A levels that you will enjoy and do well in. Other options you could consider for you third subject: english, geography, history, psychology, a language, etc.
Original post by Nav17.

Hello there

As mentioned above most Unis don't require you to study Law at A-level to study the degree. I would recommend a reading/essay heavy subject, for example english lit, as a law degree requires a lot of reading and essay writing. Picking a subject like English Lit will show that you can read, understand and analyse text to a high level, which is perfect for a Law degree.

Your other two subjects look good, as politics is another essay subject and well related to Law. Whereas maths is always a good pick as having a solid understanding of maths and statistics can help out in many areas.

Hope this helps
Adam - Uni of Kent Rep
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hello there

As mentioned above most Unis don't require you to study Law at A-level to study the degree. I would recommend a reading/essay heavy subject, for example english lit, as a law degree requires a lot of reading and essay writing. Picking a subject like English Lit will show that you can read, understand and analyse text to a high level, which is perfect for a Law degree.

Your other two subjects look good, as politics is another essay subject and well related to Law. Whereas maths is always a good pick as having a solid understanding of maths and statistics can help out in many areas.

Hope this helps
Adam - Uni of Kent Rep

Hi,
Thanks it really helped, thanks for the suggestions
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
You don't need specific A levels subjects to study law at degree level so choose three A levels that you will enjoy and do well in. Other options you could consider for you third subject: english, geography, history, psychology, a language, etc.

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by oceanblue99
that's perfectly fine, you don't need to worry about not taking law a-level, no law degree requires it. in fact, you may be better off taking a different a-level such as english lit, since law and politics together aren't considered a strong set of subjects (maths is fine, though).

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Hawraa.A
Don't do law as most unis don't like it. History is a better option or maybe English lit.

Thanks
Original post by Nav17.
Thanks

no problem!

Quick Reply

Latest