This discussion is closed.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
i think you might have to come to a boatie formal event i'm +1-ing at in order to have a chance of finding that out by way of scounce! :p: :angel:
And if you're a plus one, how on earth would I get in? :rolleyes:

I take it you've done well then :p:
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
The Bravery is quite a coup, and I'd quite like to see the Raveonettes too, but I've rarely heard of bands like Idlewild, Placebo, The White Stripes, etc. playing.
I'm pretty sure all these bands have played the Zodiac (White Stripes certainly have), but you've made your point, the CornEx has more huge bands. To put it into another light though, I've never been to London from Oxford for a gig, though I used to do it from Cambridge all the time...

The important thing about the CornEx is it's not a live music venue, it's just a venue that occasionally plays host to bands.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
And if you're a plus one, how on earth would I get in? :rolleyes:

I take it you've done well then :p:
meh..details, details..sister college's daughter once removed, hence your boatie bithright to attend? or should i fix you up with a nice..potentially *crosses fingers* head of the river man?

& i couldn't possibly comment :eek: . other than to highlight the seasonal contraints & general logistical timing issues such a feat would entail.

& incidentally that i'm perhaps a quarter of the way through my time here. MCR & SCR membership & access has yet to beckon.. :p:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
meh..details, details..sister college's daughter once removed, hence your boatie bithright to attend? or should i fix you up with a nice..potentially *crosses fingers* head of the river man?

& i couldn't possibly comment :eek: . other than to highlight the seasonal contraints & general logistical timing issues such a feat would entail.

& incidentally that i'm perhaps a quarter of the way through my time here. MCR & SCR memebership has yet to beckon..
:
Hehe, you can try, depending on how tonight goes! Oooh, Oxford head of the river man with (potentially, though I don't want to be moved up ) Cambridge head of the river girl - well, it might happen! Fun Though somewhat traitorous

You are BAD Elles! And Shiny was telling me I should be more like you! :eek:
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
both oxford and cambridge are absolutely rubbish if you want to see big name tours.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by RxB)
I'm pretty sure all these bands have played the Zodiac (White Stripes certainly have)
Wow, didn't know that. Must have missed it

(Original post by RxB)
but you've made your point, the CornEx has more huge bands. To put it into another light though, I've never been to London from Oxford for a gig, though I used to do it from Cambridge all the time...
Really? I did last week. I suppose with them both so close to London, it makes little odds.

(Original post by RxB)
The important thing about the CornEx is it's not a live music venue, it's just a venue that occasionally plays host to bands.
I have to say, I really wouldn't mind. I've seen Idlewild there, in an arena and at a festival, and my favourite was at the CornEx. Even places like the Hammersmith Apollo are originally theatres, but I don't think it makes them worse as music venues. Though of course acoustics matter, but I've never had issue with CornEx acoustics - I'm used to playing in worse so it doesn't appear too bad!
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
*very smug about her 3rd year, stunning room.. *

so, they still have Hall Steps, JCR, MCR & SCR to go in order to complete "the challenge".. :p:
No need to boast about it! :rolleyes:

I've never heard of "the challenge" - hall steps would be rather risky being in the middle of college :eek:
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
No need to boast about it! :rolleyes:
i'm not boasting about anything, t'was merely an observation on the status of your peers! wasn't sure if the 1st years would know about it.. evidently not but Tower, Deer Park, Hall Steps, JCR, MCR & SCR are the locations to be completed in your time here AFAIK.

hall steps would be rather risky being in the middle of college :eek:
*whistles innocuously* :angel:
& SCR would be rather impossible, as i think it's BOD card protected?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Elles! That's sooooo rude! :eek:

Am scared now
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
You haven't?! Surely not!! :eek:

I wouldn't know about the SCR - haven't tried to break in there yet!

I think you should add high table/the president's chair to "the challenge" list - would give you something to smile about at formal hall!
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
so, they still have Hall Steps, JCR, MCR & SCR to go in order to complete "the challenge".. :p:
Oh man... good job I'm not at Magdalen, I love a challenge..
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles

so, they still have [B
)

Hall Steps, JCR, MCR & SCR [/B] to go in order to complete "the challenge".. :p:
:eek: who who who? i've heard deer park rumours, but never the tower...

scr? has this challenge ever been completed?! :eek:
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
id be suprised considering they sound like they just made it up!
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
id be suprised considering they sound like they just made it up!
oh no, the 6 specific locations definitely came from somewhere other than my twisted mind..ahem. a conversation with some dubious elders when i was a young & innocent fresher? :idea: can't entirely remember..

F. Poste - well, it would be more of a challenge if you didn't know your way round college! :p:

grey faerie - doubt it! though aimed scounces can reveal limited success i suppose..

Bezza - it's all your fault for triggering this dubious conversation! & i am merely sharing comments i have heard. *concerns now bogsheet is again in full flow..*
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
oh no, the 6 specific locations definitely came from somewhere other than my twisted mind..ahem. a conversation with some dubious elders when i was a young & innocent fresher? :idea: can't entirely remember..
wonder if there's a university wide version...
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There is. New College Mound, Tom Quad fountain, Magdalen deer park and tower, the Bod, Trinity back field... that's all I can remember, but there's more to it.
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
There is. New College Mound, Tom Quad fountain, Magdalen deer park and tower, the Bod, Trinity back field... that's all I can remember, but there's more to it.
I'm pretty sure Hertford Bridge is on it as well.
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I take it none of you studs has taken part in the challenge then
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
pah.....emmanuel's "north court challenge" is far more feasible than this silly challenge you describe. It's guarenteed that at least 1 person will try it each week...the furthest anyone has managed is about a third of the way i believe. But it's always a great laugh when everyones drunk!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
clare needs a challenge. the only challengy thing i've ever heard of is climbing through the underground tunnel network and letting yourself into the library.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads