The Student Room Group

A Level Geography or Physics

I need to apply for alevels by the end of this week. I currently have two confirmed choices (Computer science and maths) and need to decide on a third one. Im tied between Physics and Geography. I want to go on to go to Uni and either do a computer science course or a 'computer science with electrical enginerring' course. Any tips on what subject I should take?

Geography:
Pros:
I feel it is easier to get a high grade in this subject
Not terribly hard, relies on common sense
Currently getting high grade
Is a 'throw' in a different direction - widens scope into other areas but i'm not necessarily interested in them
Cons:
Subtracts from computer science application at Uni - Cs, Maths and Physics provides an edge
Blocks off many 'computer science with electrical engineering courses' as they require physics
I don't really like / find this subject interesting

Physics:
Pros:
slightly more interesting than geography (but not much)
Opens access to computer science with engineering course
Provides an edge in applications for CS
Consistently high grades
Is seen as the 'traditional route' for CS
Cons:
Hard ALevel
Struggle to understand even some GCSE bits
Not really interested in
Possibly less likely to get a high grade in
Makes all subject quite logical and mathematical
didn't do triple science at GCSE - will be harder to catch up
I don't think i'll manage this, maths and cs
Original post by Cupboard Orange
I need to apply for alevels by the end of this week. I currently have two confirmed choices (Computer science and maths) and need to decide on a third one. Im tied between Physics and Geography. I want to go on to go to Uni and either do a computer science course or a 'computer science with electrical enginerring' course. Any tips on what subject I should take?

Geography:
Pros:
Is a 'throw' in a different direction - widens scope into other areas but i'm not necessarily interested in them
Cons:
Subtracts from computer science application at Uni - Cs, Maths and Physics provides an edge
Blocks off many 'computer science with electrical engineering courses' as they require physics

Physics:
Pros:
Consistently high grades
Cons:
Hard ALevel
Not really interested in

I don't think there's much room for dicussion if you are doing an joint engineering degree with CS. You need physics.
Personally, I consider it a better complement with maths and CS than geography i.e. you don't have to think differently in ordet to perform due to the synergy

If you are going for just straight computer science, geography is fine.

If it's not a required subject, go for the subject that you're confident getting the higher grade in. If you don't have any idea of what you want to do but it includes opportunities in STEM, I would load up on science A Levels since they are usually required subjects for a lot of STEM degrees and the practical assessment is a pain to do after college.
Original post by Cupboard Orange

Geography:
Pros:
Cons:

Physics:
Pros:
Consistently high grades
Cons:
Hard ALevel
Not really interested in

It sounds like Physics will be a lot more useful for you in the long run, especially if you're considering doing something along the lines of Electrical Engineering. I did Physics at A-Level and now study Computer Science. While it was a hard subject, I found it more interesting in A-Level than I did in GCSE. Maybe talk to your Physics teacher or pick one of the two A-Levels and if you don't like the current one, switch to the other if possible. As for whether or not you'll be able to manage Physics, Maths, and CS, the first two subjects have a few topics in common so it could help with your understanding (I didn't take CS at A-Level so I'm not sure if there are similarities in the curriculum). That said, Physics isn't necessary to study just Computer Science at university. A CS and Maths A-Level combination would already be pretty good to have.

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest