The Student Room Group

university choices

Im an international student applying for a law course in the UK,
I haven't been able to do my LNATS and my GCSE grades are mediocre so many of the top universities have been ruled out.
However, my AS levels and predicted A levels are top grades.
After examining, affordability, area, safety, nature, student life and job prospects I landed on these university options:
Manchester, York, Leeds, Warwick, Nottingham, Cardiff
I'm not sure which one to get rid of, can someone help either by ranking them in terms of prestige/employability or pointing me towards which areas in the UK are nicer, I do prioritize greenery and nature.
Original post by lubnaaa
Im an international student applying for a law course in the UK,
I haven't been able to do my LNATS and my GCSE grades are mediocre so many of the top universities have been ruled out.
However, my AS levels and predicted A levels are top grades.
After examining, affordability, area, safety, nature, student life and job prospects I landed on these university options:
I'm not sure which one to get rid of, can someone help either by ranking them in terms of prestige/employability or pointing me towards which areas in the UK are nicer, I do prioritize greenery and nature.

Cardiff probably, rains all the time in Wales.
Original post by random_matt
Cardiff probably, rains all the time in Wales.

Surely not as much as Manchester!
Reply 3
As a native manc (totally not bias) I'd say Manchester is probably the better if not best option in that list, It's close to pretty much anything you need. Beach day in the summer? Doesn't take more than 45 minutes. Want to spend some time in nature? The Peak District is also about 45 minutes. Want to go to some random mountain and zipline down it? 90 minutes travel max. We're a well connected city with relatively cheap travel (i get tickets to places like Liverpool for about £4). Our airport is the best in the country imo, you don't have to sell a kidney to fly *cough* heathrow *cough* :colonhash: .The city life is amazing, there's so many cool places (not as much as leeds) and there's a huge culinary culture, you *will* find every single type of cuisine here. There's a huge international community here so you'll almost feel at home and there's no pressure to act a certain way. it's also really affordable, Warwick is probably the most expensive place to live from your list, though I could be wrong. York and Nottingham are pretty small and don't have as many "selling points", though I'm sure there are positives. As it's a major city there are so many well known companies here you could do internships with if you decide to stay over the summer. Manchester is a list toppper for sought after graduates so there's no worry there.

If there's one you could get rid of, I'd say York just because it's not as diverse as Leeds or Manchester and there are things that are not as accessible. It's pretty green though (it's in the middle of no-where).

At the end of the day you have to remember there's no such thing as a nice English city -Master Oogeway
Original post by PQ
Surely not as much as Manchester!

Probably best to avoid Manchester as well then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending