The Student Room Group

I just ordered food and the delivery man asked me if I’m going to give a tip.

Is this now a thing in the UK that I’m unaware of?
I normally tip mine because I'm up 3 flights of stairs, but very cheeky and unprofessional to ask and I'd be almost tempted to inform the restaurant that I was being pressured for money.
Reply 2
huh? I didn't know people gave tips here
Delivery apps often give you the option, but I’ve never been asked by the person delivering.
There's a tip option on uber, deliveroo, etc. I do tip but I find it difficult as they never come to my door. they just park on a nearby street and I have to go and find them, which can be tricky to do as the directions aren't clear.
I’ve never been asked but I know one uncle who does Uber eats delivery and I always give him a 20% tip which is almost never more than like
Original post by Obolinda
There's a tip option on uber, deliveroo, etc. I do tip but I find it difficult as they never come to my door. they just park on a nearby street and I have to go and find them, which can be tricky to do as the directions aren't clear.

Yh I literally never tip on those, surprised I got asked.
Was the food hot and the delivery guy's service outstanding enough to deserve a tip?
If not- don't give a single penny.
Nobody is entitled to a tip and asking is pesky, rude & unprofessional.
Original post by Little pecker
Is this now a thing in the UK that I’m unaware of?

Yeah oil money scheme :rolleyes: sometimes on apps like Uber you have the choice of tipping the Uber driver delivering your food in your case you don’t need to if you don’t want to.
(edited 1 year ago)
Moved to food and drink and I have no idea.

Really hope that we don't adopt this North American tipping culture (I've got nothing against tipping btw, it's the idea that you must or be expected to give a tip is what a strongly object).
I'd have just flat out said no.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'd have just flat out said no.

Same, just gimme the food and I'll say thank you for your service (without tipping).
Is it normal to tip in uk? like in america everyone is highly encouraged to tip
Original post by vaidika

Nope, it's no normal in Europe at all (things like service charges can exist though) I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) or Asia (I think).

Mandatory tipping/tipping culture seems to be a USA/Canadian thing.
Original post by vaidika

Not really, perhaps a couple of services it might be less uncommon (bars/pubs and maybe hairdressers/barbers perhaps?), but on the whole it's generally uncommon and considered purely "optional" and you usually tip a lot less than in the US - often just rounding up to the nearest pound or throwing in a couple quid extra. However it's generally considered polite to tip if you are part of a large party (like 8-10 or more people) being served at a restaurant or similar here though (at least where I've been).

However unlike in the US, everyone makes at least minimum wage here - whereas in the US in tip-based industries (most food service industries and bars etc) they can pay staff less than minimum wage as it's legally expected the difference will be made up in tips.

I don't live somewhere that has deliveroo or ubereats or anything anymore, but when I did I'd usually try and tip on the app, particularly as I lived on the second floor, and if it was somewhat poor weather out (or during COVID lockdowns) - plus they have slightly worse contracts than most people I gather so a little closer to the weirdness of the US.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest