The Student Room Group

degree apprenticeship or uni?

Few questions :smile:

Is it late to be thinking about applying for a degree apprenticeship as a Y13 student - ucas sent already?

Is work experience necessary for solicitor apprenticeships if you know? Or for data analytics/science apprenticeships?

And would you advise someone to go for an apprenticeship in a field they're mostly interested in over uni to avoid student debt? Trying to decide if it's wise because it would mean I'd be limited career-wise, right? That's the main thing pushing me away because I'm quite indecisive.

Any general info would be very appreciated? :wink:
Reply 1
Hello!
I'm in exactly the same situation as you.
I sent my ucas off in october to study maths and have got offers back. However, it is only recently that I've started to look at degree apprenticeships just as another option because the student debt puts me off as well (even if some people say I'm over thinking it!).
Some degree apprenticeships out there do look pretty good, you get lots of work experience along the way which I think would be quite valued by employers but then I'm not sure if a degree apprenticeship is as valued as a classic degree at uni?
I'd be interested in data analytics as well, and I've seen a few that I'll apply for some this weekend. For example, one of them had a salary of £27k which is higher than the average starting salary for a maths graduate, so it is interesting financially and gives you a lot to think about!
Although, it is quite late on, there are still plenty out there. Many have deadlines for end of jan/feb but even some for march as well.
Its always worth applying I guess because its better to have too many options.
Have you found any youd be interested in?
Original post by Avr1l43
Hello!
I'm in exactly the same situation as you.
I sent my ucas off in october to study maths and have got offers back. However, it is only recently that I've started to look at degree apprenticeships just as another option because the student debt puts me off as well (even if some people say I'm over thinking it!).
Some degree apprenticeships out there do look pretty good, you get lots of work experience along the way which I think would be quite valued by employers but then I'm not sure if a degree apprenticeship is as valued as a classic degree at uni?
I'd be interested in data analytics as well, and I've seen a few that I'll apply for some this weekend. For example, one of them had a salary of £27k which is higher than the average starting salary for a maths graduate, so it is interesting financially and gives you a lot to think about!
Although, it is quite late on, there are still plenty out there. Many have deadlines for end of jan/feb but even some for march as well.
Its always worth applying I guess because its better to have too many options.
Have you found any youd be interested in?

ahh literally same i applied in october and have an offer for PPE. I'm really interested in studying this at uni but its just the debt puts me off. I started looking at solicitor apprenticeships with Allen and overy, linklaters and not much others yet bc I'm not sure if I really want to do law but it does appeal to me. Their starting salary is similar to yours too - like 25k which increases each year. But tbh I don't know much about it but I figured I should just apply and find out more and see how it goes? But also, I'm indecisive especially as everyone makes law out to be very dull and boring and not worthwhile and I'm worried I'd lose interest. I feel like with degree apprenticeships,your options are much more limited than say a PPE degree which can allow you to start a career in a number of fields.

Data analytics always seemed interesting to me but I haven't been able to find much about it. Have you done any work exp and if so, how did you find it? Or if not, what about data analytics do you find the most attractive?

careers i was considering after uni : consulting, law and data analytics
If you do a degree apprenticeship, your graduate role options are the same as full time students who study the same degree. The only difference is that you’ll have proven workplace competence.

If you stayed in the same industry, you likely wouldn’t need to do a graduate scheme.

Starting salaries are not priority or reflective of what you’d earn 2-5 years later. Prioritise employers with good work-life balance and development opportunities.

Overall, don’t underestimate the consequence of doing a job you hate or working somewhere you’re not valued.
(edited 1 year ago)
Guys, check out the forage- their a website that do work experience in alot of things, incl. Law for free

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending