The Student Room Group

Applying for chemistry degree without A level maths?

I have finally realised that after taking a levels I would like to take chemistry degree. However, I have heard that a level maths would be important to take chemistry (at degree level).

Obviously, when I chose my a levels (which were biology, chemistry and business studies) I didn't know what I wanted to do after a levels (hence not taking maths before hand). But now I know that I would like to take a chemistry degree.

I am wondering if I should take another a level (after finishing) either during the degree (if that is possible) or before taking a degree and when i finally have a level maths, take chemistry as a degree.

If there is any other ideas or advice you can give, I would very much appreciate it.
Thanks for reading! :biggrin:
Original post by Tyronze42
I have finally realised that after taking a levels I would like to take chemistry degree. However, I have heard that a level maths would be important to take chemistry (at degree level).

Obviously, when I chose my a levels (which were biology, chemistry and business studies) I didn't know what I wanted to do after a levels (hence not taking maths before hand). But now I know that I would like to take a chemistry degree.

I am wondering if I should take another a level (after finishing) either during the degree (if that is possible) or before taking a degree and when i finally have a level maths, take chemistry as a degree.

If there is any other ideas or advice you can give, I would very much appreciate it.

The first thing you should do is go onto the chemistry pages of the universities you’re interested in and look up the A level requirements for studying a chemistry degree. Many universities require chemistry plus another science, and you fulfil this requirement as you’re taking biology.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it! :biggrin:

You should be OK to apply to a number of unis to study chemistry. Lincoln university (which, by all accounts seems to be a good option for chemistry) doesn’t require A level maths to get into, for example.

A lot of the A level maths content isn’t really all that useful to chemistry, so you’ll definitely be taught all the relevant mathematics you haven’t done at GCSE whilst at uni.

As for careers after a chemistry degree, there are a heck of a lot of options available. Because of how many transferrable skills you pick up, you could get pretty much anywhere. The finance sector and research are especially common destinations for chemistry graduates.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for clearing things! Thank you for your response, as it will definitely be helpful! :biggrin:
my a levels ....... biology, chemistry and business studies

Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2023/chemistry/ - AAA in Chem and one other scienc/maths subjects
Sheffield - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/chemistry/undergraduate/courses - AAB including Chemistry
Liverpool - https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/chemistry/undergraduate/our-degree-programmes/ - ABB two science A Levels including Chemistry
Sussex -https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/subjects/chemistry/undergraduate - BBB including Chemistry

Etc.
I studied chemistry without A-level maths. I was required to do a maths module in the first year to compensate for my lack of maths knowledge. Honestly, the physical chemistry modules were still very hard.
Thanks for clearing things! Thank you for your response, as it will definitely be helpful! :biggrin:

Even UCL doesn't require maths: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/chemistry-msci
Hi @Tyronze42,

I'm currently a second-year Chemistry student at Lancaster Uni. Personally, I don't have an A-level in maths and throughout the first semester here on a chemistry degree, there is a module that basically covers all of A-level maths in 10 weeks. I would say that it is a useful A-level to have for a chemistry degree but definitely not essential.

The entry requirements vary from university to university so I would suggest that you check the uni websites of places that you are interested in to see if it is necessary. I'll link Lancaster's requirements here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/chemistry-bsc-hons-f100/

In short, yes you can take a chemistry degree without maths. I did!

-Beth :smile:
(Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest