The Student Room Group

University ranking

I need help shortlisting my 5 universities as an international student
Rank these universities for a law degree in terms of:
job prospects, student satisfaction, location, nature, student life, community, reputation and prestige, cost of living, dorms
Nottingham, Manchester, Surrey, Leeds, Warwick, York, Cardiff
Reply 1
Manchester - Warwick - Nottingham - Leeds - York - Cardiff - Surrey
Original post by lubnaaa
I need help shortlisting my 5 universities as an international student
Rank these universities for a law degree in terms of:
job prospects, student satisfaction, location, nature, student life, community, reputation and prestige, cost of living, dorms
Nottingham, Manchester, Surrey, Leeds, Warwick, York, Cardiff

What do you want location wise.City,campus based,green?
Reply 3
Campus based, very green, classical architecture, small town feel, low cost of living
Original post by lubnaaa
Campus based, very green, classical architecture, small town feel, low cost of living

I don’t think any on your list meet those criteria. They’re either in cities or on modern (60s-70s buildings) campuses
Original post by PQ
I don’t think any on your list meet those criteria. They’re either in cities or on modern (60s-70s buildings) campuses

Any ideas?
Original post by lubnaaa

My response is based purely on my knowledge of the following unis/cities, not on how they are regarded for law.

Nottingham's University Park campus is very green and has a mix of buildings - some dating back to the early 1920s. Nottingham doesn't have a small town feel.

York's campus is green and on the edge of the city with buildings dating from the 60s to more recent additions. York is a small historic city and a great place for student life.

Manchester is a city-based campus with main roads running through it. Definitely not green or small-town feel.

Leeds has a defined campus but again it is not green and it is in the middle of a large, busy city.

I'm not familiar with Surrey, Cardiff or Warwick unis.

Lancaster Uni has a large green campus, low cost of living and the city itself is the size of a small town. The architecture is a mix of 60/70s buildings and more recent developments. Bailrigg House (part of the architecture department) is the oldest building dating from early 1900s.

You can 'walk' through a lot of the uni campuses by using the street view function on google maps.
Hi there!

Surrey student here and happy to provide some insight into life in Guildford:smile:

Job prospects: Surrey is brilliant at making their students highly employable by providing brilliant placement year opportunities, which I have had the pleasure of undertaking. I was able to work in Paris last year and it was an amazing experience. Every degree at Surrey has the opportunity to do a placement year, as well as study or work abroad. The University of Surrey ranked first in the UK and 12th in the world for work placements and research partnerships with employers, according to the globally respected QS World Employability Rankings 2020. The University of Surrey also won the national award for best university careers and employability service at the 2022 National Employability Awards! In addition, the University ranked 11th in the UK in the Guardian 2023 league tables for students in employment 15 months after graduation.

Student Satisfaction: What better way to gauge whether the university of Surrey satisfies its students than hearing from a current student?! I have absolutely loved my time at Surrey. The course and teaching is exactly what I wanted and really couldn't have asked for more. Even during the pandemic, they were brilliant with transferring to online classes while maintaining the quality of the classes. The Guardian 2023 league tables also ranked Surrey 20th for student satisfaction, beating the most prestigious universities in the UK!

Location and nature: The University of Surrey is located in Guildford, a beautiful, quintessential English town in the heart of Surrey. The campus is modern, easy to navigate, and full of spots to enjoy nature. We regularly have deer roaming campus, as well as lots of birds, geese and ducks who enjoy our lake. I've even seen a Kingfisher there during the summer! This is one of the reasons for why I chose Surrey; I loved its connection to nature! During Welcome Week, we host a number of events by the lake like the outdoor cinema, food trucks, pottery painting, and there are BBQ pits to enjoy. The train station is only a 10 minute walk from the centre of campus, with regular connections to London (35 minutes), Gatwick Airport (40 minutes) and various other cities across the UK.

Student life: The university has great student life! We have over 140 clubs and societies to choose from, including football, netball, rugby, cricket, volleyball, baking, art, manga, pets, Christian, hispanic, languages, politics, feminist, etc, so there really is something for everyone! The sports societies hold regular pay to play sessions and competitions at the Surrey Sports Park (the sports park built for the 2012 London Olympics!!) and students have brilliant discounts to join as a member! The campus also has its own club, Rubix, which has great security, is students only, cheap drinks, and has fun themed nights! Surrey students absolutely love Rubix!! Guildford also has clubbing opportunities, lots of shopping, a cinema, ice-skating, places to eat and drink.

Cost of living: The cost of living, as we are all experiencing, is rising in the UK. When you come to find housing in your 2nd and 3rd year, rent will vary but usually sits around £450 to £600 per month. I would recommend shopping around a bit before committing to the first house you see as I made that mistake in first year and ended up paying towards the higher end. This year, I have a much nicer house and pay towards the lower end. In terms of bills, they haven't changed too much (luckily!!) and they have always been around £35 per month per person in the house. Public transport is regular and cheap but the town is just small enough that you can walk everywhere and all the essentials are close to the university like food shops. The food shops that are closely (Tesco, Lidl) have great student ranges and are probably the cheapest supermarkets in the UK.

Dorms: Surrey are in the process of refurbishing all of their dorm rooms! We have a range of different rooms including shared bathroom, en-suite, studio flat, family flat etc. You can find more about the rooms and approximate prices here, although the pictures might be out-of-date: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation

I loved my experience living in dorms at Surrey. I lived in Manor Park in an ensuite room and shared a kitchen with 5 others. We became such great friends and regularly had flat dinners, went for drinks/clubbing together. I was so glad to have stayed in a shared flat as you make friends as soon as you move to university!

I hope this helps you to make a better informed choice! Obviously there is so much more information at your disposal on the website so do check that out. If you have any more questions about life in Surrey, the campus, university life etc, please do get in touch!

Best wishes,
Alice
Final Year Modern Languages Student
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!

Surrey student here and happy to provide some insight into life in Guildford:smile:

Job prospects: Surrey is brilliant at making their students highly employable by providing brilliant placement year opportunities, which I have had the pleasure of undertaking. I was able to work in Paris last year and it was an amazing experience. Every degree at Surrey has the opportunity to do a placement year, as well as study or work abroad. The University of Surrey ranked first in the UK and 12th in the world for work placements and research partnerships with employers, according to the globally respected QS World Employability Rankings 2020. The University of Surrey also won the national award for best university careers and employability service at the 2022 National Employability Awards! In addition, the University ranked 11th in the UK in the Guardian 2023 league tables for students in employment 15 months after graduation.

Student Satisfaction: What better way to gauge whether the university of Surrey satisfies its students than hearing from a current student?! I have absolutely loved my time at Surrey. The course and teaching is exactly what I wanted and really couldn't have asked for more. Even during the pandemic, they were brilliant with transferring to online classes while maintaining the quality of the classes. The Guardian 2023 league tables also ranked Surrey 20th for student satisfaction, beating the most prestigious universities in the UK!

Location and nature: The University of Surrey is located in Guildford, a beautiful, quintessential English town in the heart of Surrey. The campus is modern, easy to navigate, and full of spots to enjoy nature. We regularly have deer roaming campus, as well as lots of birds, geese and ducks who enjoy our lake. I've even seen a Kingfisher there during the summer! This is one of the reasons for why I chose Surrey; I loved its connection to nature! During Welcome Week, we host a number of events by the lake like the outdoor cinema, food trucks, pottery painting, and there are BBQ pits to enjoy. The train station is only a 10 minute walk from the centre of campus, with regular connections to London (35 minutes), Gatwick Airport (40 minutes) and various other cities across the UK.

Student life: The university has great student life! We have over 140 clubs and societies to choose from, including football, netball, rugby, cricket, volleyball, baking, art, manga, pets, Christian, hispanic, languages, politics, feminist, etc, so there really is something for everyone! The sports societies hold regular pay to play sessions and competitions at the Surrey Sports Park (the sports park built for the 2012 London Olympics!!) and students have brilliant discounts to join as a member! The campus also has its own club, Rubix, which has great security, is students only, cheap drinks, and has fun themed nights! Surrey students absolutely love Rubix!! Guildford also has clubbing opportunities, lots of shopping, a cinema, ice-skating, places to eat and drink.

Cost of living: The cost of living, as we are all experiencing, is rising in the UK. When you come to find housing in your 2nd and 3rd year, rent will vary but usually sits around £450 to £600 per month. I would recommend shopping around a bit before committing to the first house you see as I made that mistake in first year and ended up paying towards the higher end. This year, I have a much nicer house and pay towards the lower end. In terms of bills, they haven't changed too much (luckily!!) and they have always been around £35 per month per person in the house. Public transport is regular and cheap but the town is just small enough that you can walk everywhere and all the essentials are close to the university like food shops. The food shops that are closely (Tesco, Lidl) have great student ranges and are probably the cheapest supermarkets in the UK.

Dorms: Surrey are in the process of refurbishing all of their dorm rooms! We have a range of different rooms including shared bathroom, en-suite, studio flat, family flat etc. You can find more about the rooms and approximate prices here, although the pictures might be out-of-date: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation

I loved my experience living in dorms at Surrey. I lived in Manor Park in an ensuite room and shared a kitchen with 5 others. We became such great friends and regularly had flat dinners, went for drinks/clubbing together. I was so glad to have stayed in a shared flat as you make friends as soon as you move to university!

I hope this helps you to make a better informed choice! Obviously there is so much more information at your disposal on the website so do check that out. If you have any more questions about life in Surrey, the campus, university life etc, please do get in touch!

Best wishes,
Alice
Final Year Modern Languages Student

Great post Sophie.You have sold it to me anyway.It is nice to get an inside picture from someone who actually goes to the uni
job prospects where? i'm assuming you need advice for after graduation since you don't have the automatic right to work in the UK as an international student post grad and you'll need a visa if you want to stay in the UK. or you worried about job prospects in your home country?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Genesiss
job prospects where? i'm assuming you need advice for after graduation since you don't have the automatic right to work in the UK as an international student post grad and you'll need a visa if you want to stay in the UK. or you worried about job prospects in your home country?

In the UK, it would be difficult for me to pursue law in my home country, I need to choose a university with good employability so that I’m able to find a job in sufficient time.

This isn’t true. International graduates are now eligible to apply for a 2 year visa to stay and work in the uk. And if they get skilled work then they can convert into a longer term visa.
Reply 12
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/law

But you are going to need to do a lot of your own spade work here,

You obviously arrived at that shortlist somehow? If you are international i would say fees and accommodation are going to play as major factors in this decision. If you are not living on campus you have the commute to consider and travel costs. So i would probably put a spreadsheet together and add international fees to it and average accommodation costs.

https://www.studentcrowd.com/page/cheapest-uk-cities-for-student-accommodation

Of course your accommodation costs will vary depending on quality you want but you but it would cost you materially more to say live in Manchester than it would to live in Nottingham. If you were already in the UK you would be going on a visit to get a feel for the University

Good Luck
Original post by PQ
This isn’t true. International graduates are now eligible to apply for a 2 year visa to stay and work in the uk. And if they get skilled work then they can convert into a longer term visa.

yes they are eligible to apply for the 2 year post grad visa. what is this 'longer term visa' they convert to after that?

edit: work visa? who sponsors that? 'skilled work' doesn't qualify for a visa. apologies for my edits, chrome crashes for me when using tsr
(edited 1 year ago)
yes they are eligible to apply for the 2 year post grad visa. what is this 'longer term visa' they convert to after that?

edit: work visa? who sponsors that? 'skilled work' doesn't qualify for a visa. apologies for my edits, chrome crashes for me when using tsr

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/skilled-worker-visa-eligible-occupations/skilled-worker-visa-eligible-occupations-and-codes

yes i know what the skilled work visa is and i encourage you to read the link because if proves that your advice is not accurate. you cannot get 'skilled work' and then 'convert' it to this visa. skilled work is just the name of the visa.
Original post by lubnaaa
In the UK, it would be difficult for me to pursue law in my home country, I need to choose a university with good employability so that I’m able to find a job in sufficient time.

just thought i'd check and apologies as chrome keeps crashing on me. as this is a UK based website i'm afraid you're likely to get advice from home students' perspective who won't be able to address the unique hurdles and needs you have as an international student who doesn't automatically have the right to work in the UK. just for clarity, yes you can apply for a 2 year post grad visa which buys you time to find a job; however if you wish to stay longer than that you cannot 'convert' your visa. you need a brand new one which can only be sponsored by certain employers - ie big firms that can spend money. 99% of employers in the UK do not qualify and cannot sponsor you. do you wish to work in corporate or commercial law? because that's the firms you'll be looking at. also, you can't just be sponsored for any job; it's gotta be on the list of approved ones.

for an employer to choose to spend money on you, rather than spend no money on a UK resident, it's not enough to just be an average grad. rankings of unis change all the time and all the ones listed in the op are generally the same, so i wouldn't have that as your number one priority. what matters more are your grades and your work experience. check out the websites of the employers listed in the link provided in comment #15; you can often see the bios of the employees at those firms. that will give you a starting point of what they look for.
yes i know what the skilled work visa is and i encourage you to read the link because if proves that your advice is not accurate. you cannot get 'skilled work' and then 'convert' it to this visa. skilled work is just the name of the visa.

https://www.gov.uk/graduate-visa
gov.uk
A Graduate visa lasts for 2 years. If you have a PHD or other doctoral qualification, it will last for 3 years. Your visa will start from the day your application is approved.
If you want to stay longer in the UK
You cannot extend your Graduate visa. However, you may be able to switch to a different visa, for example a Skilled Worker visa.

:indiff:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest