The Student Room Group

University choices advice

So my brother's teachers have predicted him pass in all his subjects because of which he can't do paramedic or occupational therapy.

Any advice on which subject to apply for in uni then ? He is interested in health and social care side or engineering 🤔
Original post by future-doctor <3
So my brother's teachers have predicted him pass in all his subjects because of which he can't do paramedic or occupational therapy.

Any advice on which subject to apply for in uni then ? He is interested in health and social care side or engineering 🤔

In which qualifications is be predicted a pass? BTECs? CTECs? T levels? A combination of these? Something else?

If BTEC (which seems most likely) then which BTECs is he doing? Three Extended Certificates (each of which is equivalent to one A level), or something like a single Extended Diploma (which is equivalent to three A levels itself). Or perhaps BTEC Certificate, BTEC Foundation Diploma, BTEC Diploma? (They like to make BTECs very complicated for some reason!)

How about the subjects he's studying? Do you know what they are?
Original post by DataVenia
In which qualifications is be predicted a pass? BTECs? CTECs? T levels? A combination of these? Something else?

If BTEC (which seems most likely) then which BTECs is he doing? Three Extended Certificates (each of which is equivalent to one A level), or something like a single Extended Diploma (which is equivalent to three A levels itself). Or perhaps BTEC Certificate, BTEC Foundation Diploma, BTEC Diploma? (They like to make BTECs very complicated for some reason!)

How about the subjects he's studying? Do you know what they are?

Sorry i didn't add that. So, he is studying a level single business, IT not sure if it's single or btec and A level health and social care. according him the teachers have predicted him on pass when he has being getting merits so not sure what happened there. And apparently he will only have 48 ucas points.
Sorry i didn't add that. So, he is studying a level single business, IT not sure if it's single or btec and A level health and social care. according him the teachers have predicted him on pass when he has being getting merits so not sure what happened there. And apparently he will only have 48 ucas points.

Check to see if any of the courses he's interested in offer a foundation year. Foundation-year entry lowers the entry requirements and brings students up to the standard required to continue with the undergraduate degree course.
Original post by normaw
Check to see if any of the courses he's interested in offer a foundation year. Foundation-year entry lowers the entry requirements and brings students up to the standard required to continue with the undergraduate degree course.

The thing is he the subjects that he want to apply for even with the foundation degree, i just checked have higher tariff points and even if he falls into the bands the universities are down london/wales. where is not ready to travel to. He wants to stay home and attend uni close by.

OK. So there's no A level involved, as they're not grades as pass/merit/etc. (they's A*/A/B/C/etc.). Let's assume he doing BTECs, as that's most likely. If he were taking three Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates, and got a Pass in each, then he'd have 48 UCAS Tariff points in total (16 points each) - so that's what we'll assume.

How has he reached the conclusion that "he can't do paramedic or occupational therapy"?

He meets the entry requirements for Paramedic Science with Foundation Year, BSc (Hons) Full-time 4 years, at University of Wolverhampton. They say in their entry requirements, here, "BTEC: Grade profile of PPP".

He could also do Occupational Therapy with Foundation Year, BSc (Hons) Full-time 4 years, at the same university. They say here that their entry requirements include "BTEC: Grade profile of PPP".

The thing is he the subjects that he want to apply for even with the foundation degree, i just checked have higher tariff points and even if he falls into the bands the universities are down london/wales. where is not ready to travel to. He wants to stay home and attend uni close by.

Where is "close by"? Is Wolverhampton any good?
OK. So there's no A level involved, as they're not grades as pass/merit/etc. (they's A*/A/B/C/etc.). Let's assume he doing BTECs, as that's most likely. If he were taking three Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificates, and got a Pass in each, then he'd have 48 UCAS Tariff points in total (16 points each) - so that's what we'll assume.

How has he reached the conclusion that "he can't do paramedic or occupational therapy"?

He meets the entry requirements for Paramedic Science with Foundation Year, BSc (Hons) Full-time 4 years, at University of Wolverhampton. They say in their entry requirements, here, "BTEC: Grade profile of PPP".

He could also do Occupational Therapy with Foundation Year, BSc (Hons) Full-time 4 years, at the same university. They say here that their entry requirements include "BTEC: Grade profile of PPP".

so close by Leeds- Manchester.

he got that from the teachers saying with this tariff points he can't do the subjects in which he wants to do and they have been putting him off and he is really stressed and i want to help him. He even thought of doing foundation degree in engineering but teachers said with 48points he is not qualified for that either.
he got that from the teachers saying with this tariff points he can't do the subjects in which he wants to do and they have been putting him off and he is really stressed and i want to help him. He even thought of doing foundation degree in engineering but teachers said with 48points he is not qualified for that either.

The most important piece of advice here is for him to ignore his teachers. They don't know every entry requirement of every course in every university. For a start, I've quoted details of two separate degrees above which the entry requirements are exactly 48 points, one in Paramedic Science and one in Occupational Therapy. OK. they're both at University of Wolverhampton, but that was before I knew about your location restriction.

Finding the ideal course won't be easy with only 48 points, especially with the location restriction. I think your best bet is for you (or him) to put together a list of universities which are within scope, distance-wise, and they see what relevant courses they offer with what entry requirements.

This map of UK universities on UCAS should make sure you don't miss any. (It goes without saying, by the way, that places like University of Manchester and University of Leeds will be out, due to the 48 points issue.)

Good luck to the both of you!
The most important piece of advice here is for him to ignore his teachers. They don't know every entry requirement of every course in every university. For a start, I've quoted details of two separate degrees above which the entry requirements are exactly 48 points, one in Paramedic Science and one in Occupational Therapy. OK. they're both at University of Wolverhampton, but that was before I knew about your location restriction.

Finding the ideal course won't be easy with only 48 points, especially with the location restriction. I think your best bet is for you (or him) to put together a list of universities which are within scope, distance-wise, and they see what relevant courses they offer with what entry requirements.

This map of UK universities on UCAS should make sure you don't miss any. (It goes without saying, by the way, that places like University of Manchester and University of Leeds will be out, due to the 48 points issue.)

Good luck to the both of you!

Thank you had a big drama with the teacher. He ended up choosing health and social care with foundation year.
Thank you had a big drama with the teacher. He ended up choosing health and social care with foundation year.

Thanks for letting us know how things worked out - a bit of drama is always good for the soul! :smile:

Is he happy with that course choice, and with his choice of universities?
Thanks for letting us know how things worked out - a bit of drama is always good for the soul! :smile:

Is he happy with that course choice, and with his choice of universities?

Lol yeah. The teacher called mum and complained that he has not even started his ucas application yet blah blah but he had completed his application i helped him fill in th choice section after your message and found health and social care but not had paid yet so i paid for him. But still he had to go into school and apologie because the teacher said he was aggressive and very rude the day before . He was so annoyed, he was like i was not even loud nor rude yet i have to apologise. Anyway, he chose bradford uni, leeds trinity and University center leeds. Which are close by so he gets to stay home. I said to him you can always do maybe graduate paramedic if that is what you want. He was so happy to receive the acknowledgement email. I was like relax they will not tell you about offers so early read the email this is just an acknowledgement. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
(edited 1 year ago)
Lol yeah. The teacher called mum and complained that he has not even started his ucas application yet blah blah but he had completed his application i helped him fill in th choice section after your message and found health and social care but not had paid yet so i paid for him. But still he had to go into school and apologie because the teacher said he was aggressive and very rude the day before . He was so annoyed, he was like i was not even loud nor rude yet i have to apologise. Anyway, he chose bradford uni, leeds trinity and University center leeds. Which are close by so he gets to stay home. I said to him you can always do maybe graduate paramedic if that is what you want. He was so happy to receive the acknowledgement email. I was like relax they will not tell you about offers so early read the email this is just an acknowledgement. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's great news. I hope the offers roll in now. :smile:
That's great news. I hope the offers roll in now. :smile:

I hope so too 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending