The Student Room Group

Crash higher physics?

Is it possible to crash higher physics and do well in it?
For a bit of context I haven’t taken a science class for the last two years and therefore have never done a science exam in my life before. All my subjects (nat5s and highers which I’m doing now) are more humanities based with the exception of doing Nat 5 maths and getting an A. I plan to do higher maths in s6 and for unspecified reasons really want to take higher physics in s6. But I have no idea if that’s even possible or if my school would let me so any advice or opinions would be highly appreciated
Original post by laura.mcn
For a bit of context I haven’t taken a science class for the last two years and therefore have never done a science exam in my life before. All my subjects (nat5s and highers which I’m doing now) are more humanities based with the exception of doing Nat 5 maths and getting an A. I plan to do higher maths in s6 and for unspecified reasons really want to take higher physics in s6. But I have no idea if that’s even possible or if my school would let me so any advice or opinions would be highly appreciated

Hello @laura.mcn! I'd encourage you to talk to the guidance staff/Physics department in your school to find out what their advice is :smile: Crashing highers isn't uncommon, however with a subject like a Science sometimes schools like to see evidence of other similar qualifications or Nat 5 quals before you can take it.

It could be an idea to look for any online courses you could get in to that are Physics related to give you some good insight in to the subject area if it's been a while since you've done a science. If you decide you really want to pursue this in your S6 you could use that as evidence to show you understand the course and can cope with the content involved. I can't say for definite if the answer will be a yes or a no but chat to your teachers and they'll be able to help!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2

Just my experience this year is do not do it unless you are committed, and your teachers are too. For me I did that this year in S6, identical to you with A at N5 Maths in S5 and no science in years. I crashed and burned because I did not put in the effort, and my teacher was not interested in helping either.

If you need it, and you have the willpower to catch up - go for it! But Higher Maths is hard, as is Higher Physics and sometimes you just need to pick one challenge.

Similarly, I crashed Higher Physics last year (S5) after not taking an science into S4 and managed to get an A!
I would say having a pretty strong maths background made it easier for me. However, you really need to be committed to learning and practicing it!!

Quick Reply

Latest