The Student Room Group

Disability and Mental Health

Do I think mental health is real? 100% but I believe that word can be overused, sometimes. I also think that disability can be a word that is overused, I have been diagnosed with an actual disability, which is mild cerebral palsy, this affects the way I walk, my arm muscles and the way I speak on a daily basis and makes me complete daily tasks more slowly than regular people. However, people also call depression a disability, (even the government), although I believe depression is a mental illness more than disability. Am I being ignorant?

Scroll to see replies

Disability arises from any condition that causes substantial day to day impairment. That condition could be something seemingly really trivial like a hypermobile thumb. I think you should be thankful that you haven’t experienced a disabling depression
Original post by BoomBoxBeitch
Disability arises from any condition that causes substantial day to day impairment. That condition could be something seemingly really trivial like a hypermobile thumb. I think you should be thankful that you haven’t experienced a disabling depression

Yeah, but is depression a mental illness or a disability, or both?

I believe depression is a mental illness, not a disability. Lots of people claim they have depression, some diagnosed, some not. People with depression, can get extra time in their exams, that doesn't seem fair, in my eyes.

Are you saying my cerebral palsy is trivial? That's rude, it's not trivial, it literally affects my muscle movement, I have slow and awkward leg, hand and arm movements, which in turn affects my walking and my handwriting. My speech is greatly impacted by my cerebral palsy, as well.

A hypermobile thumb is not comparable to cerebral palsy, sorry, so please don't say that it is.
I have schizophrenia, let's see:
- this affects the way I walk
- my arm muscles shake
- the way I speak on a daily basis (drooling and slurring words)
- makes me complete daily tasks more slowly than regular people

There are more but I think that's enough for now.
Original post by Anonymous
Are you saying my cerebral palsy is trivial? That's rude, it's not trivial, it literally affects my muscle movement, I have slow and awkward leg, hand and arm movements, which in turn affects my walking and my handwriting. My speech is greatly impacted by my cerebral palsy, as well.

A hypermobile thumb is not comparable to cerebral palsy, sorry, so please don't say that it is.

Don’t put words into my mouth :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Yeah, but is depression a mental illness or a disability, or both?

I believe depression is a mental illness, not a disability. Lots of people claim they have depression, some diagnosed, some not. People with depression, can get extra time in their exams, that doesn't seem fair, in my eyes.

Under the Equality Act 2010, the definition of disability is a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on someone’s ability to do normal daily activities. So yes, depression can be considered a disability.

I think it is very fair that students who have depression get extra time in their exams. Depression have a significant impact on someone’s concentration which is needed most during exam times. Also, depression not only have psychological symptoms but also physical symptoms.
Original post by Kschu
Under the Equality Act 2010, the definition of disability is a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on someone’s ability to do normal daily activities. So yes, depression can be considered a disability.

I think it is very fair that students who have depression get extra time in their exams. Depression have a significant impact on someone’s concentration which is needed most during exam times. Also, depression not only have psychological symptoms but also physical symptoms.

Fair enough.
Original post by GulpinThorazines
I have schizophrenia, let's see:
- this affects the way I walk
- my arm muscles shake
- the way I speak on a daily basis (drooling and slurring words)
- makes me complete daily tasks more slowly than regular people

There are more but I think that's enough for now.

Originally, I thought you were parodying what I said about cerebral palsy, but if you do actually have schizophrenia, then I hope you have good ways to manage your condition, I do believe schizophrenia is a disability and mental condition.
Don’t put words into my mouth :rolleyes:

Sorry, your wording was a bit hard to understand, but the examples you gave were terrible, no offence, I just didn't get it.
Originally, I thought you were parodying what I said about cerebral palsy, but if you do actually have schizophrenia, then I hope you have good ways to manage your condition, I do believe schizophrenia is a disability and mental condition.

So schizophrenia is real, but depression isn't?

Indulge me, what about schizoaffective disorder?
So schizophrenia is real, but depression isn't?

Indulge me, what about schizoaffective disorder?

Are you crazy? I didn't say depression wasn't real, I said it was real. Can you read? Indulge me.
I don’t think this thread is in good faith
Are you crazy? I didn't say depression wasn't real, I said it was real. Can you read? Indulge me.

Ok so is schizoaffective disorder a "disability"?
I don’t think this thread is in good faith

It is, if you really don't like, just ignore it.
Ok so is schizoaffective disorder a "disability"?

I have already answered this, I'm not answering it again, look at my past posts, on this thread and you'll see my answer.
I have already answered this, I'm not answering it again, look at my past posts, on this thread and you'll see my answer.

You said depression isn't a "disability", but schizophrenia is a "disability". So what I'm wondering is what's the mixture of the two? Disability/not disability? I guess I'm just wondering where the line is.
You said depression isn't a "disability", but schizophrenia is a "disability". So what I'm wondering is what's the mixture of the two? Disability/not disability? I guess I'm just wondering where the line is.

Well, depression doesn't affect people intelligence or their movement.

That it is.

K bye.
Reply 18
You clearly haven’t experienced/seen what severe depression looks like. I have seen someone who doesn’t want to get up/move out from their bed due to their depression. If you knew someone with depression, you wouldn’t be saying this.

That it is.

K bye.

That it is.

K bye.

So you're not going to answer whether schizoaffective disorder (a mix of schizophrenia and depression/mania) is a "disability"?

Also clearly had no experience with severe depression.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest