The Student Room Group

Does receiving an invitation to an interview, mean that I'm going to be accepted?

Hello,

I was wondering if being invited means that your chances of getting accepted are high. Obviously, the interview matters too, but if I answer decently and make an Ok impression should I get in?
Or am I underestimating the importance of the interview?

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by brohe7
Hello,

I was wondering if being invited means that your chances of getting accepted are high. Obviously, the interview matters too, but if I answer decently and make an Ok impression should I get in?

Thank you

All depends on how many people they have invited to interview and whether they think you’ll make e good fit for the course or job.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by brohe7
Hello,

Thank you

No, just because you're invited doesn't mean you'd be accepted.

If you do well, you'd have a better chance, but you may get rejected.
It just means that you have passed the first check of your application.
For nursing a lot of applicants are rejected after an interview.
As above, it is dependent on how many people they invite to interview. 9 years ago, I went to a university interview where they had over 50 interviewees for only 8 available places. I was lucky enough to get one of them.
If they knew they were going to accept you why would they bother with the interview?
Reply 6
Fair enough, but couldn't it be a formality?
It's basically required for all Nursing courses to do an interview,
Maybe the school could already be planning to accept you but just wants to see what your like and how quick thinking you are?
Instead of a make or break situation?
Reply 7
Original post by yellowleaf23
If they knew they were going to accept you why would they bother with the interview?

Fair enough, but couldn't it be a formality?
It's basically required for all Nursing courses to do an interview,
Maybe the school could already be planning to accept you but just wants to see what your like and how quick thinking you are?
Instead of a make or break situation?
Reply 8
Original post by 1582
As above, it is dependent on how many people they invite to interview. 9 years ago, I went to a university interview where they had over 50 interviewees for only 8 available places. I was lucky enough to get one of them.

Oh wow, what course were you applying to that had only 8 spaces?
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
It just means that you have passed the first check of your application.
For nursing a lot of applicants are rejected after an interview.

Thank you. Why is it that a lot of applicants are rejected after an interview?
So after the interview is usually when courses make a decision, rather than the interview invitation meaning they are already planning to accept you?

Thank you
Reply 10
Original post by justlearning1469
No, just because you're invited doesn't mean you'd be accepted.

If you do well, you'd have a better chance, but you may get rejected.

Why would they offer an invitation to a person they may reject, even if they have a good interview?
Original post by brohe7
Thank you. Why is it that a lot of applicants are rejected after an interview?
So after the interview is usually when courses make a decision, rather than the interview invitation meaning they are already planning to accept you?

Thank you

Do you think employers should make a job offer to everyone they interview for a job?

the interview is part of the selection process for health professions courses like nursing.
if you don’t meet the criteria from the interview and aren’t as good as other interviewees then you won’t get an offer.

there’s lots of information in the nursing and midwifery subforum
Original post by brohe7
Hello,

Thank you

Interview is only part of the process after your application is sent in.

Obviously you have made it to this point and now the interviewers have to cut the amount of interview candidates down to the amount of potential students being able to start there student nurse degree course as they are only allocated XXX places each year.

You'll have to put in a very good interview to make sure you impress the interviewers so that you are in with a chance of being offered a place.

If you happen to be nervous throughout the interview then this may decrease your chances but the interviewers tend try to assure you throughout the interview that you'll be okay.....

If successful in getting a place on the nursing course be prepared for some hard work ahead especially the long hours for placements.

A NHS registered midwife.
Reply 13
Original post by Tracey_W
Interview is only part of the process after your application is sent in.

Obviously you have made it to this point and now the interviewers have to cut the amount of interview candidates down to the amount of potential students being able to start there student nurse degree course as they are only allocated XXX places each year.

You'll have to put in a very good interview to make sure you impress the interviewers so that you are in with a chance of being offered a place.

If you happen to be nervous throughout the interview then this may decrease your chances but the interviewers tend try to assure you throughout the interview that you'll be okay.....

If successful in getting a place on the nursing course be prepared for some hard work ahead especially the long hours for placements.

A NHS registered midwife.

Thank you so much!
Original post by brohe7
Thank you so much!

You welcome 🤗🤗

Do plenty of research prior to your interview to give yourself a chance okay.

And don't give up on becoming a nurse if you are unsuccessful this year as just keep applying each year as you'll learn from this year.

Quick Reply