The Student Room Group

Lord of the Flies

Hi,
I am unsure on how to revise for Lord of the Flies, I have some good ideas on the text and know a few quotes ...
Should I write flashcards of the quotes and then do practise questions, read exemplar questions and ask my teacher to mark some extra questions ?
I'm not sure if this is the best way to revise or not
I usually read everyday before school, and I have read Lord of the Flies twice, but I think reading other books as well is helping to improve my writing
I am in the second term of year 10 and I have made flashcards for all my other subjects ( not maths ) but I'm not sure if flashcards are the best way to revise for English or not.

Thank you so much for any advice 💗
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hi! Flashcards for English are super useful for learning quotes, but you need to be sure what you could say about those quotes in an essay. I would recommend making your flashcards, but also make a mindmap per theme in the novel! On this mindmap you could put quotes, and annotate what you would write about them, link points together, and see how you would form an argument. Remember- you get credit for your writing, not the amount of quotes you use, so it's important to focus on analysis!
Original post by libbbyy
Hi,
I am unsure on how to revise for Lord of the Flies, I have some good ideas on the text and know a few quotes ...
Should I write flashcards of the quotes and then do practise questions, read exemplar questions and ask my teacher to mark some extra questions ?
I'm not sure if this is the best way to revise or not
I usually read everyday before school, and I have read Lord of the Flies twice, but I think reading other books as well is helping to improve my writing
I am in the second term of year 10 and I have made flashcards for all my other subjects ( not maths ) but I'm not sure if flashcards are the best way to revise for English or not.

Thank you so much for any advice 💗

Hi! I got full marks on my Lord of the Flies paper and I personally did not use flashcards, but the way in which you study is completely up to you. I mostly read and made notes from the CGP Lord of the Flies booklet, and made as much research as I could on context, themes, and characters. Memorising a few quotes to link to characters and themes would be helpful, and read as many high scoring past papers as you can to help with structure and writing style (basically how I went from a 5 to a 9). Hope it works out!
Reply 3
Original post by waffelton
Hi! I got full marks on my Lord of the Flies paper and I personally did not use flashcards, but the way in which you study is completely up to you. I mostly read and made notes from the CGP Lord of the Flies booklet, and made as much research as I could on context, themes, and characters. Memorising a few quotes to link to characters and themes would be helpful, and read as many high scoring past papers as you can to help with structure and writing style (basically how I went from a 5 to a 9). Hope it works out!

Thank you so much !! I will definitely try and do this and I’ve been practising writing some 40 mark questions in the time. I am considering using Seneca for key quotes and then just refreshing my knowledge of context and themes as you recommended :smile:

Do you think downloading a language app to expand my vocabulary would be a good idea? I’m thinking of making a mindmap of synonyms to describe the characters and the themes. Eg other ways to emphasise points such as benevolence, , intrinsically, inextricable etc

Did you use a wide range of vocabulary in your grade 9 essay ?
I would love to know if you have any recommendations for that.

Thank you so much for your tips though
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by _agnesk
Hi! Flashcards for English are super useful for learning quotes, but you need to be sure what you could say about those quotes in an essay. I would recommend making your flashcards, but also make a mindmap per theme in the novel! On this mindmap you could put quotes, and annotate what you would write about them, link points together, and see how you would form an argument. Remember- you get credit for your writing, not the amount of quotes you use, so it's important to focus on analysis!

Thank you so much, I am definitely going to try the mindmap idea, but I’m not sure how many quotes I need for it to be considered enough evidence for my points. I try to use 5-10 throughout the whole 40 mark essay but I’m not sure whether that is enough or too little.

I might ask my teacher to mark some of my essays, but I don’t want to give her more things to mark if she is already busy with year 11 tests and other things.

Thank you so much for your tip :smile:
Original post by libbbyy
Thank you so much !! I will definitely try and do this and I’ve been practising writing some 40 mark questions in the time. I am considering using Seneca for key quotes and then just refreshing my knowledge of context and themes as you recommended :smile:

Do you think downloading a language app to expand my vocabulary would be a good idea? I’m thinking of making a mindmap of synonyms to describe the characters and the themes. Eg other ways to emphasise points such as benevolence, , intrinsically, inextricable etc

Did you use a wide range of vocabulary in your grade 9 essay ?
I would love to know if you have any recommendations for that.

Thank you so much for your tips though

In my experience, fancy words didn’t have much effect on my grade, as long as I used a variety of sentence starters and wrote using an academic style :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by waffelton
In my experience, fancy words didn’t have much effect on my grade, as long as I used a variety of sentence starters and wrote using an academic style :smile:

Ok thank you :smile:

Quick Reply