The Student Room Group

What GCSE subjects to choose to become a physicist?

Hey guys! :smile: I'm new to the UK and I've joined in-year in Year 10 so I haven't really had the option to choose my subjects; rather I just told them what I like doing and what subjects I'd like to take so I had no idea about some of the subjects my school offered.
Anyways, apart from the core Maths, Science, English, PE and Religious Studies I'm taking Extended Science (basically Separate/Triple Science), History and French. I've recently got to know that my school also offers Engineering so I've been in a dilemma. I want to pursue a career in Physics and become a physicist or an astrophysicist. I'm fairly good in studies (I'm from India) so I would be able to handle Engineering if I choose it.
Should I change French to Engineering or should I be alright without it? Please help! Thank you in advance :smile:
If you are interested in physics and have a strong desire to pursue a career in that field, then taking engineering courses could be beneficial as they would likely provide you with a deeper understanding of the concepts and applications of physics. However, if you have a passion for French and enjoy learning the language, then it may be worth continuing to study it. Additionally, having a good understanding in French could be beneficial in the future if you decide to study or work in a French-speaking country or in an international field related to French.
This is the first I've heard of Engineering GCSE, haha. It looks pretty cool but I cannot stress enough that it is not necessary to progress to Physics A-level or a physics degree. The option that will help you most is seperate science which you already have, so only swap out French for Engineering if you really want to.

Edit: Something extra I would encourage you to look into is the British Physics Olympiad competitions. They're a good way to get a deeper knowledge of the things you're doing in lesson.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CompSciJP
However, if you have a passion for French and enjoy learning the language, then it may be worth continuing to study it.

Yes actually I do quite enjoy studying French so I think I'm gonna stick with it! I don't really think I'm gonna go to a French-speaking country but it's not harmful to know another language haha. Thanks for your answer! :smile:

Original post by vapordave
This is the first I've heard of Engineering GCSE, haha. It looks pretty cool but I cannot stress enough that it is not necessary to progress to Physics A-level or a physics degree.

Yea I figured that not all schools might offer Engineering as a subject haha. I'm just gonna stick to my subjects and do extra studies. Definitely gonna look into and most probably participate in the British Physics Olympiad so thank you so so much for recommending it! :smile: I'm just another kid aiming for doing Physics/NatSci at Oxbridge and anyways I love taking olympiads so I'll go for it.
Original post by TheSaGaYT
Hey guys! :smile: I'm new to the UK and I've joined in-year in Year 10 so I haven't really had the option to choose my subjects; rather I just told them what I like doing and what subjects I'd like to take so I had no idea about some of the subjects my school offered.
Anyways, apart from the core Maths, Science, English, PE and Religious Studies I'm taking Extended Science (basically Separate/Triple Science), History and French. I've recently got to know that my school also offers Engineering so I've been in a dilemma. I want to pursue a career in Physics and become a physicist or an astrophysicist. I'm fairly good in studies (I'm from India) so I would be able to handle Engineering if I choose it.
Should I change French to Engineering or should I be alright without it? Please help! Thank you in advance :smile:

Heya!
As a start, I would recommend checking out unicompare and looking up the course and the entry requirements. UK Unis usually just require maths and english GCSEs at grade 5 or 6 so don't worry too much about the choice, pick what you think you would enjoy more :h: If you really set on doing physics in the future perhaps engineering GCSE would be an interesting start! If you want to study in the french speaking country, knowing french would be useful so stick to it!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest