The Student Room Group

a level subject choices

im planning to take psychology biology math and business for my a levels. im shifting from another curriculum and i dont have a gcse math qualification which most uni courses ask for. im bad at math and will probably drop it at an as level. in which case i will have to do a business a level which i feel isnt as competitive and will not stand out on my applications. i want to know how limiting it would be in terms of future courses to not have any proper math subjects from school
(edited 1 year ago)
GSCE maths is important for universities, in most universities you need maths GSCE grade 4 or above to get accepted with either unconditional or conditional. I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago, for my first year in sixthform I had random subjects. In my second year, I decided to retake an extra year and finally try, went from doing business, IT and science to IT, psychology and sociology. I failed math almost 5 times, I think I passed it in my second year, but ultimately without maths its hard to get into any job you are looking to do in the future or being accepted into any university.

In my opinion, I'd say drop a-level math, if you failed it in GSCE there's no point doing it in alevels as the difficulty standard is much harder and possibly do a language course or a course you find enjoying. You are very limited in terms of opportunities without GSCE maths, as most jobs require both English and Maths as a must have.

(btw I'm in my final year of Uni currently doing comp sci).
Original post by tank_
im planning to take psychology biology math and business for my a levels. im shifting from another curriculum and i dont have a gcse math qualification which most uni courses ask for. im bad at math and will probably drop it at an as level. in which case i will have to do a business a level which i feel isnt as competitive and will not stand out on my applications. i want to know how limiting it would be in terms of future courses to not have any proper math subjects from school

Heya!
You will need GCSE maths as a minimum entry requirement for a lot of unis, do you have something else that is equal to GCSE maths? What are you thinking of doing in the future? I would recommend using unicompare and exploring some courses and looking up their entry requirements. Business alvl is fine as long as you don't take economics at the same time (unis don't like that) :h: I believe a lot of economics and some business courses do need maths alvl but its best to explore some courses and look at their entry requirements to make sure.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL FPE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
You will need GCSE maths as a minimum entry requirement for a lot of unis, do you have something else that is equal to GCSE maths? What are you thinking of doing in the future? I would recommend using unicompare and exploring some courses and looking up their entry requirements. Business alvl is fine as long as you don't take economics at the same time (unis don't like that) :h: I believe a lot of economics and some business courses do need maths alvl but its best to explore some courses and look at their entry requirements to make sure.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL FPE
Study Mind

I did my boards in a cbse curriculum but i am unable to find a comparison between that and gcse anywhere so im uncertain if that will qualify as an equivalent to the gcses.
Original post by tank_
I did my boards in a cbse curriculum but i am unable to find a comparison between that and gcse anywhere so im uncertain if that will qualify as an equivalent to the gcses.

Heya!
Hmm I'm not sure either :frown: The best way is to contact the admissions team at potential unis directly and ask them about it, they'll be able to help you out with that and tell you what options you have. Would it be possible for you to take GCSE maths and english?

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest