The Student Room Group

Private law commissions

Hi,

Are private law commissions a thing? Like are there alternatives to the Law commission and the Independent Commission which can scrutinise government policy and recommend reform.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by burberry_butter
Hi,

Are private law commissions a thing? Like are there alternatives to the Law commission and the Independent Commission which can scrutinise government policy and recommend reform.

HI there, in theory, any charity/organisation can scrutinise government policy and recommend reform. Whether the Government chooses to take any notice though is a different matter altogether lol.

Certainly NGOs have done a lot of campaigning on various issues. Take Shelter, for example, they have done so much work on tenancy reform and some of their campaigns (e.g. advocating for the abolition of Section 21 Notices) have actually be successful (that is, if the Government ever follows through on its promise to abolish s.21 Notices - watch this space).

I hope this response has gone some way to address your question.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by megster1
HI there, in theory, any charity/organisation can scrutinise government policy and recommend reform. Whether the Government chooses to take any notice though is a different matter altogether lol.

Certainly NGOs have done a lot of campaigning on various issues. Take Shelter, for example, they have done so much work on tenancy reform and some of their campaigns (e.g. advocating for the abolition of Section 21 Notices) have actually be successful (that is, if the Government ever follows through on its promise to abolish s.21 Notices - watch this space).

I hope this response has gone some way to address your question.

That's fine. I was asking as I presumed that they were a thing and I had to write a report a legal advisor and wrote from the perspective that I was a commission. So hopefully I should be fine.
Original post by burberry_butter
That's fine. I was asking as I presumed that they were a thing and I had to write a report a legal advisor and wrote from the perspective that I was a commission. So hopefully I should be fine.

Sounds good. Yeah I'm sure it will be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest