The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

durham colleges

Hi this question is for those who are studying at durham. which colleges would you say are the best and which one is the closest to the law faculty? are the catering accommodations better than the self catered ones? thanks :smile:
Original post by sakura414
Hi this question is for those who are studying at durham. which colleges would you say are the best and which one is the closest to the law faculty? are the catering accommodations better than the self catered ones? thanks :smile:

Hi there

As you can see from multiple discussions throughout this forum, there's really no 'best' college but there can be one that suits your needs the most. The closest colleges to where the law lectures are held are St. Marys and Grey and both of them are catered. In terms of the room size, they are all pretty similar irrespective of catered or self-catered and usually have 3/4 size beds (although there are exceptions). The only major difference when it comes to catered and self-catered accommodation is that catered ones only have a small kitchenette (with a toaster, fridge and a few shelves for storage) while the self-catered ones obviously come with a bigger kitchen for cooking.

Hope that helps!

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I think everyone will say their college is the best college. My son is in Trevelyan, which is close to Mary's and Grey's, and he loves it. It is catered and gowned and known as the friendly college. My son enjoys the food there. You can get loads of information on the colleges from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, as well on the durham uni pages and each college has a jcr page run by students, which are really informative

I would recommend catered colleges because all the self-catered colleges are 25 min walk away from Tesco and any food store. Bailey colleges are ideal as they are only 10-15 mins away from the science site (where most of your first-year law lectures will be) and only 5 mins away from the city centre. The Bailey colleges are Hatfield (the best), Castle (wouldn't recommend it as it is overly subscribed too and has scattered accommodation all over the city), St.Chads (nice but small), St. John (small), St. Cuths (pretty good). All of these colleges are catered, although St.Cuths also has a self-catered site, but I think most people there are catered to as well.
Hi, i have been given an offer for history, I have no idea what college to put as my first of preference or what to rank higher up in my list in all honesty. Ideally I would like one that is 'good for history', I like the idea of an old Bailey College, do you have any recommendations at all?
Original post by jai-L205
Hi, i have been given an offer for history, I have no idea what college to put as my first of preference or what to rank higher up in my list in all honesty. Ideally I would like one that is 'good for history', I like the idea of an old Bailey College, do you have any recommendations at all?

Well, there is no particular college that is "good for history" because you don't have lectures/seminars in the college (unlike Oxbridge). All the Bailey colleges are old with deep history, Castle being the oldest and Hatfield being the 2nd oldest. If you want bailey colleges rank them higher on the list, as all of them are typically over-subscribed too.
Original post by Anonymous
I would recommend catered colleges because all the self-catered colleges are 25 min walk away from Tesco and any food store. Bailey colleges are ideal as they are only 10-15 mins away from the science site (where most of your first-year law lectures will be) and only 5 mins away from the city centre. The Bailey colleges are Hatfield (the best), Castle (wouldn't recommend it as it is overly subscribed too and has scattered accommodation all over the city), St.Chads (nice but small), St. John (small), St. Cuths (pretty good). All of these colleges are catered, although St.Cuths also has a self-catered site, but I think most people there are catered to as well.

thank you for such a comprehensive review, you are very knowledgeable. Which colleges would you recommend for Spanish+Arabic student? I am thinking of catered option for the firs year. than you
Original post by Anonymous
thank you for such a comprehensive review, you are very knowledgeable. Which colleges would you recommend for Spanish+Arabic student? I am thinking of catered option for the firs year. than you

Any bailey college would be ideal as the languages department is a 5-minute walk from the bailey colleges compared to a 20/25 min walk from the hill colleges.
Any recommendations location-wise for catered colleges for computer science? Thank you!
Original post by Blobfish12345
Any recommendations location-wise for catered colleges for computer science? Thank you!

Both bailey colleges and hill colleges are approx the same distance from the science site, so choose whichever college you prefer based on other factors. The best location, in general, has to be the bailey colleges because of its proximity to the city center.
Reply 10
should i rank my colleges now to maximise my chance of getting the college i want? or does it not matter?
should i rank my colleges now to maximise my chance of getting the college i want? or does it not matter?

It doesn't matter how early you do it, but defo get it done before the deadline

Quick Reply

Latest