The Student Room Group

Short film idea, would like some thoughts

I have an idea for a comedy for an assignment, but I am stuck with some areas.
Basically, the idea is that cupid is a drunk and he is doing bad matches. Then he comes across this woman (the Protagonist) and she is living as an independent woman and he becomes focused on finding her a match, I have to think of at least 3 really bad matches for her, so 3 bad meetings, and preferably have them be funny as well
Hi! I have a Filmmaking & Screenwriting degree and worked in film before changing field in my mid-20s. :smile:

Your concept sounds great! I would first advise making a list of qualities you think an independent and self-sufficient woman would find undesirable in a partner. For example, a woman like that is not going to respond well to a man who expects a woman to clean-up after them, or who thinks that a woman should leave her career behind upon marriage (if she even wants to be married).

After completing your list, think about how you would visually show those characteristics on-screen - and how they best translate in comedy. Think about how she will interact with those men and how you can show the incompatibility through dialogue and body language.
Reply 2
Original post by 1582
Hi! I have a Filmmaking & Screenwriting degree and worked in film before changing field in my mid-20s. :smile:

Your concept sounds great! I would first advise making a list of qualities you think an independent and self-sufficient woman would find undesirable in a partner. For example, a woman like that is not going to respond well to a man who expects a woman to clean-up after them, or who thinks that a woman should leave her career behind upon marriage (if she even wants to be married).

After completing your list, think about how you would visually show those characteristics on-screen - and how they best translate in comedy. Think about how she will interact with those men and how you can show the incompatibility through dialogue and body language.

Do you think that a short story would need a climax? I thought I would go straight from the "bad" dates to the resolution but wondering if I am going to need a climax. The resolution was going to tie in with the start/set-up. Set-up: she is in a rush in an elevator of a corporate building and chatting on her mobile possibly about not having time for a family function and an elderly lady cries out to have her hold the elevator, but instead she pushes the close button, then the resolution would be she is at a cross walk and makes a decision to put her phone away and assist an older gentleman across the road, this shows that she has had a life changing experience from the "conflict"/bad dates. I feel like there needs to be something in there that teaches her to not be so focused on her career. The big ending is that cupid shoots the older gentleman and the audience is led to believe that this is going to be another bad date but instead the second arrow goes to the same older lady from the elevator at the start , who is waiting to cross on the other side, she may drop something and the older gentleman picks it up for her and hands it to her and they look into each others eyes, the protagonist gets back on her phone, walks off and continues her life. Cupid is the one that is fully changed, he has found his passion for his assignment again (he unconsciously puts his drink down while attempting to have the protagonist fall in love , throughout the film and becomes sober by the end)

Quick Reply

Latest