Universities with the best feeling of "community"? Watch

This discussion is closed.
W.A.S Hewins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by allisandro)
i'm going to sussex - i loved the friendly atmosphere the first time i visited (and got hte same impression when i went back too, which is always good!) it seemed that it did have a real community feel because of being on a fairly small campus - people showing me round said sometimes you have to think of an excuse to go into town because otherwise you can go for weeks without leaving campus! you live on campus in the first year then in the town after that, so it's good because there's a big city where you can go out, plus the beach, yet still have eveyrthing close by in the first year when you're finding your feet. sussex all the way!
SUSSEX DESERVES ITS OWN SUBFORUM.
RieLouise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
SUSSEX DESERVES ITS OWN SUBFORUM.
This uni subforum sh*t seems a tad arbitrary, if you folk don't mind my saying so.
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crazydaveuk)
I'm going to Sussex this September... (having being pooled & rejected from Cam).

I really liked the close campus thing, it really came across when I visited.
There's a little shop for groceries in the middle, a bank, and a bar or two.
All 1st-years live on site (which means you make friends quickly!) then you usually share a place in Brighton for years 2 & 3. They do a direct bus service every 20 mins, so it's easy as pie really. So in my eyes you get the best of both worlds - an initial secure community, but the option to go into town whenever you want, with all it's music and nightlife! In that department, pretty much all tastes catered for I'm told.

I'm a big music fan, so this is something Cambridge'd never have had. :rolleyes:
Some of us want more than just the odd musty Pub.
'The odd musty pub'? As in more pubs per square mile than any other city in England.
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by feelthefiya)
I will not be able to visit any of the universities I have offers from before making my decision as I am overseas, so I was wondering if somebody could please give me a bit of information as to the set up of the following universities: Bristol, Sussex, Durham, Edinburgh, and York. From what I understand Bristol and Sussex have a strong student community because the campus is very central, while I've heard that the Eduninburgh campus and flats are dispersed throughout the city? Any clarification would be much appreciated.
Ever read Wasted by Mikki Goffin - semi autobiographical novel set in Sussex Uni. The author herself attended Warwick but the research she conducted into Sussex was pretty thorough. (Unfortunate title though.)
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
organic is the term I'd use....growing in random directions depending on traffic and who has a say in which uni's get subforumised at the time.

If it had been planned I'm sure it would be more geographically focussed rather than a subforum per uni (a lot of which are pretty much deserted)
Yes, that is probably a better term. I'm surprised Essex isn't there though.
crazydaveuk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
Bristol has a great live music scene. My friend here who's from Brighton says its much better here in Bristol in comparison.
Yeah, for Hip Hop especially Bristol & Brighton are the top two cities. B-boy central.
I can't make a direct comparison, but Bristol (rather randomly) rejected me, so that's that sorted! :p:

Of course there's London, but that has a lot more of the UKG /grime sound.
Naturally the capital has the most variety, but the place has plenty of down-sides too.

(Original post by bratcat)
'The odd musty pub'? As in more pubs per square mile than any other city in England.
Well yeah, whatever.
My point was not that there are only a few, in particular, but that I don't like pubs in general.
I don't drink much, I dislike smokey places, and many of them are filled with mindless lads/yobs.

And everywhere has a pub, even in remote rural villages, so its clubs & venues I'm after.
feelthefiya
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by bratcat)
Ever read Wasted by Mikki Goffin - semi autobiographical novel set in Sussex Uni. The author herself attended Warwick but the research she conducted into Sussex was pretty thorough. (Unfortunate title though.)
So does it put Sussex in a positive or negative light?
feelthefiya
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by elpollodiablouk)
Bristol has a great live music scene. My friend here who's from Brighton says its much better here in Bristol in comparison.
This decision is becoming tougher and tougher - but contrary to what my last post said, I'm pretty sure I am going to pick Bristol firm and Sussex insurance. Although I'm still awaiting Durham's decision, I think location wise Bristol and Sussex are best.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads