The Student Room Group

How can I get an A in higher chemistry?

Hi, currently stressing over higher chemistry.

Last year I sat N5 chemistry, I really enjoyed the course and I did very good throughout the year so I thought it would be a great idea to take higher, as I enjoyed N5 so much. However, higher has not been the same. I am struggling with keeping up on revision and gerally understanding the courses content, even though I found N5 easy. Please can someone give me advice on how to keep up with the work and understand it better, I'm finding it extremely overwhelming.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cal251006

Last year I sat N5 chemistry, I really enjoyed the course and I did very good throughout the year so I thought it would be a great idea to take higher, as I enjoyed N5 so much. However, higher has not been the same. I am struggling with keeping up on revision and gerally understanding the courses content, even though I found N5 easy. Please can someone give me advice on how to keep up with the work and understand it better, I'm finding it extremely overwhelming.

Hi there. I'm also sitting higher chem this year, and like you said i'm finding it to be a big step up from last year. However, I just sat the prelim last week, and I got a result that I'm very pleased with. The main thing that I think helped me out was a website called scholar. I'm not sure if it's available to all students, but It's run by Heriot-Watt and you can access it through glow. It has a mixture of quizzes, flashcards, activities, and information slides, which are all very helpful. You can use it for most other subjects, but I've found that the chemistry course is one of the best ones. I hope this is useful, an good luck for the final exam :biggrin:
Original post by cal251006

Hi, I did higher last year and I definitely understand where you're coming from. At first I was also struggling with the workload, however what I did was break down information into manageable chunks and focused on my weakest areas first. I recommend searching up "Miss Adams Chemistry" on YouTube and watching her videos, as she explains topics really well. I also made use of online study support sessions that were run by e-Sgoil - where you get live lessons from chemistry teachers around Scotland and they were very helpful too.

Please don't stress yourself out, remember to take things little by little and everything will come together in the end. Good luck with the rest of your studies! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by eturbyne52
Hi there. I'm also sitting higher chem this year, and like you said i'm finding it to be a big step up from last year. However, I just sat the prelim last week, and I got a result that I'm very pleased with. The main thing that I think helped me out was a website called scholar. I'm not sure if it's available to all students, but It's run by Heriot-Watt and you can access it through glow. It has a mixture of quizzes, flashcards, activities, and information slides, which are all very helpful. You can use it for most other subjects, but I've found that the chemistry course is one of the best ones. I hope this is useful, an good luck for the final exam

Thank you for your response, congratulations on your good prelim result! I have access to scholar and use it frequently for my higher biology, will definitely give the higher chemistry section ago, thanks again and also good luck for your final exam when it comes! :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by d1anasaur
Hi, I did higher last year and I definitely understand where you're coming from. At first I was also struggling with the workload, however what I did was break down information into manageable chunks and focused on my weakest areas first. I recommend searching up "Miss Adams Chemistry" on YouTube and watching her videos, as she explains topics really well. I also made use of online study support sessions that were run by e-Sgoil - where you get live lessons from chemistry teachers around Scotland and they were very helpful too.

Please don't stress yourself out, remember to take things little by little and everything will come together in the end. Good luck with the rest of your studies! :smile:

Hey, thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to check out the youtube channel you suggested, I have previously tried e-sgoil for another subject and found it not very useful but will definitely give the higher chemistry one a shot as you have said they are very useful! :smile: Thank you again and good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest