The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University: PhD in Environment and Society?

If you have done or you are doing a PhD in Environment and Society at Lancaster University could you tell me what it is like and the specific things you have done in the course?
Hi! I'm a third year BSc Earth and Environmental sciences student, so I can't quite speak to what it's like being a postgrad here at Lancaster, but I can speak for the department as a whole! The Environment Centre (LEC) building has great facilities and study spaces and an overall welcoming atmosphere. As far as I'm aware it is actually the largest department on campus! There's a really positive and collaborative vibe overall, with our LEC atrium in the centre of the building. It's a chilled out space for chilling out, working, meeting friends, etc., and you often see a lot of faculty here as well which makes approaching them a lot less daunting than visiting their offices.

I can't quite speak for the PhD Environment and Society course, and I doubt many people will be able to speak on it as your experiences will probably be very specific to you due to the nature of it being a research-based degree. However, Lancaster are running a Postgraduate Open Day on Saturday 4th February, so if possible you could visit and get a feel for the campus and ask some specific questions about the course!

^Harry (LEC Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi! I'm a third year BSc Earth and Environmental sciences student, so I can't quite speak to what it's like being a postgrad here at Lancaster, but I can speak for the department as a whole! The Environment Centre (LEC) building has great facilities and study spaces and an overall welcoming atmosphere. As far as I'm aware it is actually the largest department on campus! There's a really positive and collaborative vibe overall, with our LEC atrium in the centre of the building. It's a chilled out space for chilling out, working, meeting friends, etc., and you often see a lot of faculty here as well which makes approaching them a lot less daunting than visiting their offices.

I can't quite speak for the PhD Environment and Society course, and I doubt many people will be able to speak on it as your experiences will probably be very specific to you due to the nature of it being a research-based degree. However, Lancaster are running a Postgraduate Open Day on Saturday 4th February, so if possible you could visit and get a feel for the campus and ask some specific questions about the course!

^Harry (LEC Student Ambassador)

Thanks for the response, it has been very helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest