The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE grades

Hello so as you can see from the title I got really bad GCSE grades like really bad Grades the only subject I passed was English language and English literature but the reason they were so bad was that I Didn’t start revising for them early enough and my revision technique was terrible like all I would do was just read over my notes again and again but I have learnt from my mistakes and I am planning on resitting them and I want to go on a do A level do you think i can get a good grades at A levels I would be happy to get an AAB at a level and the subjects I would like to do are Law, Criminology and psychology. Can I get good grades at a level if I revise early and revise better
Original post by Student room1234
Hello so as you can see from the title I got really bad GCSE grades like really bad Grades the only subject I passed was English language and English literature but the reason they were so bad was that I Didn’t start revising for them early enough and my revision technique was terrible like all I would do was just read over my notes again and again but I have learnt from my mistakes and I am planning on resitting them and I want to go on a do A level do you think i can get a good grades at A levels I would be happy to get an AAB at a level and the subjects I would like to do are Law, Criminology and psychology. Can I get good grades at a level if I revise early and revise better

Hi,

So when i completed my gcse's last year i struggled alot with the revision tactics but i would say that the best revision tactics would be revision cards. Also, the earlier the better as you can then add along the way and this can really help. There is this app where you put a load of questions of your subjects in. Then it will set a time, then beep your phone when you need to answer a question and if you get it correct then it leaves it longer to see if you can remeber it for longer. This should help. I think the app is called N-back memory training. Hope this helps. Thanks. Sean
Original post by Chapelauto
Hi,

So when i completed my gcse's last year i struggled alot with the revision tactics but i would say that the best revision tactics would be revision cards. Also, the earlier the better as you can then add along the way and this can really help. There is this app where you put a load of questions of your subjects in. Then it will set a time, then beep your phone when you need to answer a question and if you get it correct then it leaves it longer to see if you can remeber it for longer. This should help. I think the app is called N-back memory training. Hope this helps. Thanks. Sean

May I know what grades you got and when did you start revising for them
May I know what grades you got and when did you start revising for them

So I started revision in Nov 2021 and I only did 5 GCSEs and got four 5's and one 4
Original post by Chapelauto
So I started revision in Nov 2021 and I only did 5 GCSEs and got four 5's and one 4

Did you do resits
Did you do resits

No I didn't I had the option to appeal because I was 1 mark off a 5 for the 4 but I didn't appeal because I can lose marks
hi, i’m doing a-levels and i only got fours in english lang, maths, film and pass in btec health and social care. i did take a year out after school because of my mental health and then did a level 2 health and social care course for a year at a college and got a merit and then i did go into level 3 health and social but realised i wanted to be at home to study and do a levels so i have been studying since the start of January.
anything is possible. buy textbooks! i do sociology, psychology, religious studies
for psychology i recommend getting the aqa textbook and the maths textbook that they do specifically for aqa a level psychology (if ur board is aqa only) so that way you can revise some maths for your a level psychology.
i also recommend getting flash cards too. personally, psychology is my favourite subject so far and it’s really interesting which also helps you learn and remember things.
if you stick to a strict routine, you can do it. how old are you and would u be at a college or sixth form or study at home?
i do recommend getting a tutor or sign up to an online learning site. i study with oxbridge home learning and so far its going great.
if not, im always happy to help. just message me on private messages.
i have completed unit 1 in social influence so far. im now getting onto unit 2 ‘memory’.
i would advise going in order of units because the papers go in order of the units.
hope this helps:smile:
also alevel.psychology (on insta), they help with revision and notes

i would also advise retaking maths at least:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by username6069914

Hey, I currently do a-level psych and sociology which is similar to criminology- ofc u can get high at a-level as long as you put the effort in!! I didn't do that well in gcse mostly 4s-5s two 6s but im now i'm getting A*- if u need any help with revising these subjects lmk!!!
Original post by darceyspiderman
Hey, I currently do a-level psych and sociology which is similar to criminology- ofc u can get high at a-level as long as you put the effort in!! I didn't do that well in gcse mostly 4s-5s two 6s but im now i'm getting A*- if u need any help with revising these subjects lmk!!!

hi im doing psych and sociology too. are u doing aqa? you did well in gcse’s!!
and wow you’re doing so well in your a levels!!! psych and socio is going ok 😭😭it’s just the religious studies for me. im aiming for Bs- Cs for psych and socio but would be a dream to get an A in sociology at least.
which one do you find more interesting and which one do u find easier?
also what do you wanna do after?
for psych and socio are u doing aqa? i am.
Original post by alevelstudent090
hi im doing psych and sociology too. are u doing aqa? you did well in gcse’s!!
and wow you’re doing so well in your a levels!!! psych and socio is going ok 😭😭it’s just the religious studies for me. im aiming for Bs- Cs for psych and socio but would be a dream to get an A in sociology at least.
which one do you find more interesting and which one do u find easier?
also what do you wanna do after?
for psych and socio are u doing aqa? i am.

Did okay in GCSE wld of defo failed if i actually had to do the exams tho lol. Are you in year 13? is that philosphy and ethics? heard that is really hard ik quite a few ppl who repeated year 12 too change subjects because they cldnt do it but that was philosphy and ethics so might be different with RE. What made u pick RE? Find psych most interesting but find sociology easier wbu?. Psych is a lot more content but the memorising for both and all my a-levels is such a drag- but saying that the grade boundaries are alot lower for psych so almost find that easier as of recently wbu?. I've applied to do psychology at uni wbu?? I do sociology eduqas but psych AQA.
Did okay in GCSE wld of defo failed if i actually had to do the exams tho lol. Are you in year 13? is that philosphy and ethics? heard that is really hard ik quite a few ppl who repeated year 12 too change subjects because they cldnt do it but that was philosphy and ethics so might be different with RE. What made u pick RE? Find psych most interesting but find sociology easier wbu?. Psych is a lot more content but the memorising for both and all my a-levels is such a drag- but saying that the grade boundaries are alot lower for psych so almost find that easier as of recently wbu?. I've applied to do psychology at uni wbu?? I do sociology eduqas but psych AQA.

but you must be proud still. you're doing ever so well in your a levels so you did deserve your gcse grades. i'm in year 12 but started studying at the start of Jan (im a private candidate) and sitting them next year. yes philosophy and ethics is actually involved sadly. i picked it because i like the christianity part so im excited to do that as im a catholic and know most of it so its just the philosophy and ethics, aha oh well. ahhh, i agree psych is defo more interesting and sociology is easier. it is a drag i must say and thats good that the psych grade boundaries r lower. oh wow that's interesting!! hope u enjoy your degree in psychology when you go to uni :smile: im gonna apply next year to mental health nursing (if i get the grades lol).
I found that the most important thing was to be consistent with your revision. I started around late Feb - start of March time and revised 4 hours daily consistently. I did not revise in the Easter holidays to give myself a break, but I did continue straight after. I would assume there are people who revised in the Easter holidays and did just as well though, but depending on how confident you feel, you might not need to.

Compared to A Level, there isn't that much content. I revised in different ways for different subjects, mainly:
- Seneca, past papers & CGP flashcards for Biology / Chemistry / Physics
- Flashcards and past papers for History

..and the rest were mainly past papers solely. I found that it's quite hard to revise subjects once you know the content, and if you paid attention in lessons and did the homework, you were usually solid on the content. Plus, you can use past papers to iron out gaps in the content that you missed.

Together, this got me 5 Grade 9s and 5 Grade 8s, with the 9s being Eng Lit, Computer Science, Business, French and Physics (8s: Maths, History, Eng Lang, Bio, Chem). Hope this helps!
but you must be proud still. you're doing ever so well in your a levels so you did deserve your gcse grades. i'm in year 12 but started studying at the start of Jan (im a private candidate) and sitting them next year. yes philosophy and ethics is actually involved sadly. i picked it because i like the christianity part so im excited to do that as im a catholic and know most of it so its just the philosophy and ethics, aha oh well. ahhh, i agree psych is defo more interesting and sociology is easier. it is a drag i must say and thats good that the psych grade boundaries r lower. oh wow that's interesting!! hope u enjoy your degree in psychology when you go to uni :smile: im gonna apply next year to mental health nursing (if i get the grades lol).

How is it as a private candidate? lowkey wish I did that. Oh wow so you've only just started. I'm sure you'll do great! Thank youu, and i looked into mental health nursing was about to do that, I hope u enjoy that and you'll defo get the grades :wink:. Do u sit the exams at any sixth form and do u have to pay to sit them?, do u teach yourself or is it an online thing?
How is it as a private candidate? lowkey wish I did that. Oh wow so you've only just started. I'm sure you'll do great! Thank youu, and i looked into mental health nursing was about to do that, I hope u enjoy that and you'll defo get the grades :wink:. Do u sit the exams at any sixth form and do u have to pay to sit them?, do u teach yourself or is it an online thing?

it is a lot because i overthink a lot but i’ll be ok🤣. thank you so much!! i have to pay to sit them sadly as im 18 and turning 19 this year. i teach myself from textbooks and i also have online tutors and powerpoints and videos they put up and assignments to predict grades but most of it i have to learn myself. so you’re going to university this year, right? what unis have you applied for? are you excited??? how are u feeling about it?
it is a lot because i overthink a lot but i’ll be ok🤣. thank you so much!! i have to pay to sit them sadly as im 18 and turning 19 this year. i teach myself from textbooks and i also have online tutors and powerpoints and videos they put up and assignments to predict grades but most of it i have to learn myself. so you’re going to university this year, right? what unis have you applied for? are you excited??? how are u feeling about it?

overthinking is the worst i'm defo a culprit of that🤣. Oh well its defo worth paying for. Ah that must be hard. Yep think i'm going this year I mean i've applied and got some offers from where I want to go with the BBB predicted I have. But if I get a lot better like AAA then ill take a gap year and go to Thailand 2 of my friends are going there and it looks amazing. Got an offer from Sussex (basically Brighton) which is where I wanna go have to get ABB if I firm it. Got an offer from UWE Bristol, bornemoth and still waiting on Liverpool john moors. I kinda wanna retake until I get an A in all my subjects.. so i can go to a russel group. BUt really not sure eeek I think i'll just go to Sussex if i get the grades i mean it beats some Russel groups for psych tbf and , and I could always do a post grad in a russel group im rly not sure I kinda just wanna go to uni but laods of ppl around me are going to russel groups but yh idk i'm excited either way tbf but ovbs have to get the grades first :frown: .Chose uni's kinda last minute cuz thought there's no point going to uni if i wasn't going to a russel group which was dumb then overthought psychology cuz watched loads of yt vids of oxford students not being able to get jobs lol.. and how its the most popular course etc... which defo demotivated me so I hardly revised in year 12 but i rly like psyc thinking of doing a masters in neuroscinece but who knows. Have u looked into unis? alsois it really expensive is to sit the exams encase i re-sit, like as a private candidate or is it not too bad?

how come ur doing a-levels at 18?
overthinking is the worst i'm defo a culprit of that🤣. Oh well its defo worth paying for. Ah that must be hard. Yep think i'm going this year I mean i've applied and got some offers from where I want to go with the BBB predicted I have. But if I get a lot better like AAA then ill take a gap year and go to Thailand 2 of my friends are going there and it looks amazing. Got an offer from Sussex (basically Brighton) which is where I wanna go have to get ABB if I firm it. Got an offer from UWE Bristol, bornemoth and still waiting on Liverpool john moors. I kinda wanna retake until I get an A in all my subjects.. so i can go to a russel group. BUt really not sure eeek I think i'll just go to Sussex if i get the grades i mean it beats some Russel groups for psych tbf and , and I could always do a post grad in a russel group im rly not sure I kinda just wanna go to uni but laods of ppl around me are going to russel groups but yh idk i'm excited either way tbf but ovbs have to get the grades first :frown: .Chose uni's kinda last minute cuz thought there's no point going to uni if i wasn't going to a russel group which was dumb then overthought psychology cuz watched loads of yt vids of oxford students not being able to get jobs lol.. and how its the most popular course etc... which defo demotivated me so I hardly revised in year 12 but i rly like psyc thinking of doing a masters in neuroscinece but who knows. Have u looked into unis? alsois it really expensive is to sit the exams encase i re-sit, like as a private candidate or is it not too bad?

omg honestly and the anxiety it causes. it’s actually so bad. they sound like really good offers but honestly do whatever you feel is best for you, even if it means taking a gap year then do so. or if you’re happy with Sussex, go there. maybe go for an open day if you haven’t already and perhaps see if it gives you a good feel to it. if you take a gap year, maybe go travelling like you said to Thailand and it does look pretty and maybe also get some work experience and that will also give you something nice to add to your personal statement. it’s really nice that you have some ideas and options. honestly, if this is something you really really want trust me, it will work out how you want it to work out. i believe in you! you can do it. neuroscience sounds interesting tbh actually and there’s a lot of choices you can do for masters after you complete psychology. how long do masters take to complete?
i have yes, not the best unis because my GCSE’s are ever so poor from my mental health issues and bullying i had going on and i wish i could go back but i need to look to the future and do what i can. my first choice is ARU in cambridge… i do also like canterbury christ church, university of herts but that’s all i have that i am interested in so far. we will see. i don’t think i’ll get accepted tho😭😭 . yes its like £400 per subject or something like that not sure what the exact figure is but when i book it in spring/summer time , i will find out🥲 .
how come ur doing a-levels at 18?

it sounds so bad but i took a year out after gcse’s because i wasn’t well (mentally) but i did go into level 2 animal management for about 2 weeks which is completely embarrassing but i have got better since then. i did get a job instead and tbat really helped my confidence. a year later i went to college to study level 2 health and social care and that went well actually and it was exam based no coursework. then i went up to level 3 but decided that i wanted to study from home because it was an 1hr and 30 min drive there and a 1hr 30 min drive home as i live in the middle of nowhere and the bus times were every 2 hours. i also have work so it was easier just to stay at home and i also prefer it being exam based. it is much harder tho but worth it.
just want to help people hence why i want to be a mental health nurse but i feel like a drop out idk😭😭
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by username6069914

Heya!
it is possible but you need to really relook at your revision and make sure you do continuous revision throughout a-levels rather than starting doing them only 2 months before. Create a revision timetable and at the beginning, make sure you dedicate around 3hrs after school and more time one weekend for going over the material and doing practice questions by topic. Make sure you practice by doing past paper questions (by topic when you cover them) - this is essential to get better grades! Make sure to go over the mark scheme as well and note down how you can improve your answer for next time :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest