The Student Room Group

how to study a level ocr religious studies

i’m self teaching and am learning with oxbridge home learning doing 3 a levels (psychology, sociology and rs). psychology and sociology are going really well but for some reason in the ‘my revision notes religious studies textbook’ i can’t seem to understand that much. i can understand some parts but most of it isn’t sinking in and i’m really worried. i do enjoy christianity so i will enjoy that unit but the philosophy is really confusing me.
whoever has done a level religious studies, please advise me
should i watch some videos?
does anyone think this a level is really hard or is it just me?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by alevelstudent090
i’m self teaching and am learning with oxbridge home learning doing 3 a levels (psychology, sociology and rs). psychology and sociology are going really well but for some reason in the ‘my revision notes religious studies textbook’ i can’t seem to understand that much. i can understand some parts but most of it isn’t sinking in and i’m really worried. i do enjoy christianity so i will enjoy that unit but the philosophy is really confusing me.
whoever has done a level religious studies, please advise me
should i watch some videos?
does anyone think this a level is really hard or is it just me?

I'm doing my mocks at the moment so am currently revising RS. The youtube channel 'I think therefore I teach' is really helpful for going over topics and she has powerpoints as well to take notes from, Ben Wardle also has some videos for OCR RS on youtube. The website 'philosophy cat' is also really good, it has a section for every topic with videos, quotes, powerpoints, notes, and evaluation. From that I then like to make big summary sheets for each topic so that all the information is in one place, and essay plans are also really good for practice for the 40 mark questions. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Kiera.Smith
I'm doing my mocks at the moment so am currently revising RS. The youtube channel 'I think therefore I teach' is really helpful for going over topics and she has powerpoints as well to take notes from, Ben Wardle also has some videos for OCR RS on youtube. The website 'philosophy cat' is also really good, it has a section for every topic with videos, quotes, powerpoints, notes, and evaluation. From that I then like to make big summary sheets for each topic so that all the information is in one place, and essay plans are also really good for practice for the 40 mark questions. Hope this helps! :smile:

are you in yr 12 or 13? good luck btw!! do u enjoy it too?
thanks sooooo much! i will definitely have a look. can’t believe there’s 3 40 mark questions per paper in RS it’s crazy!!!!
but at least we only have to practice one exam writing technique for 40 markers. just soo much writing ahh, but we’ll be okay 🤣🤣🤣
are you in yr 12 or 13? good luck btw!! do u enjoy it too?
thanks sooooo much! i will definitely have a look. can’t believe there’s 3 40 mark questions per paper in RS it’s crazy!!!!
but at least we only have to practice one exam writing technique for 40 markers. just soo much writing ahh, but we’ll be okay 🤣🤣🤣

I'm in y13, and yes I love the subject!! I know, it's so strange to think that the whole A Level comes down to 9 questions, but you get used to the writing eventually I promise :smile:
I'm in y13, and yes I love the subject!! I know, it's so strange to think that the whole A Level comes down to 9 questions, but you get used to the writing eventually I promise :smile:

i love some parts but it's just soooo much info! yes 9 questions and im pretty sure u have 4 questions per paper but only answer 3 of your choice which is actually really good. i don't find it easy whatsoever apart from the christianity but do you think it can be possible to achieve a B(preferably)/C?
i hope your exams go well this year :smile: what are your plans afterwards? uni?
i love some parts but it's just soooo much info! yes 9 questions and im pretty sure u have 4 questions per paper but only answer 3 of your choice which is actually really good. i don't find it easy whatsoever apart from the christianity but do you think it can be possible to achieve a B(preferably)/C?
i hope your exams go well this year :smile: what are your plans afterwards? uni?

I would say with practice it's definitely achievable to get a B, it's usually around 27 marks per question I think. Just make sure to focus on evaluation not just knowledge since that's what is worth more marks, and keep a line of argument. I always go with whatever is easiest to argue since you don't get extra marks for it being what you actually believe

Yeah I'm planning on going to uni next year to study politics and languages at Warwick, what other A Levels do you do?
I would say with practice it's definitely achievable to get a B, it's usually around 27 marks per question I think. Just make sure to focus on evaluation not just knowledge since that's what is worth more marks, and keep a line of argument. I always go with whatever is easiest to argue since you don't get extra marks for it being what you actually believe

Yeah I'm planning on going to uni next year to study politics and languages at Warwick, what other A Levels do you do?

ahhhh that’s great! 27 marks isn’t too bad but a lot of practice to do in order to get that!! ahh!!
ahh, that’s soon isn’t it. are you excited about going?
politics and languages sounds interesting:smile:. i’m sure everything will go really well. i am doing psychology and sociology too. weirdly enough they’re much easier than RS but i thought RS would be easier for some reason. what other a levels do u do?
ahhhh that’s great! 27 marks isn’t too bad but a lot of practice to do in order to get that!! ahh!!
ahh, that’s soon isn’t it. are you excited about going?
politics and languages sounds interesting:smile:. i’m sure everything will go really well. i am doing psychology and sociology too. weirdly enough they’re much easier than RS but i thought RS would be easier for some reason. what other a levels do u do?

Honestly by the time you get to your exams you will be so used to the question style and you will have found the structure and argument style that works for you so not to worry - you've got loads of time to sort it all out
I also do Spanish and History, like you I expected RE to be a bit easier but there is just SO much content but I'm slowly getting there!!
Honestly by the time you get to your exams you will be so used to the question style and you will have found the structure and argument style that works for you so not to worry - you've got loads of time to sort it all out
I also do Spanish and History, like you I expected RE to be a bit easier but there is just SO much content but I'm slowly getting there!!

that's great to know:smile:. oh you also like essay writing a lot like me :smile: you chose a nice variety of subjects. spanish sounds interesting too. exactly but i think the questions in past papers aren't too bad but it's just the content you have to learn... ahhhh!!
boost-
by any chance, does anybody know what the 2023 paper is most likley to be when eliminating old topics that have already been asked ?
Original post by Marebak
boost-
by any chance, does anybody know what the 2023 paper is most likley to be when eliminating old topics that have already been asked ?

I wouldn't try and eliminate topics if I were you. They asked a question on a few of the topics up to 3 times in a row in three years so anything is fair game. Now if you mean topics within a unit, I don't think they've ever asked the exact same question twice, but obviously there's going to be some similarity between questions, and they may ask the same question but worded differently?

Overall, trying to guess what's going to come up is risky.

Quick Reply

Latest