The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Hatfield Accommodation

Hi guys,
So I got an unconditional offer from Durham last month and I'm beginning to think about finalising my college preferences now since it looks like I may be headed to Durham this autumn. I'm inclined towards Hatfield (I really like the college site, the location etc) and I'm seriously considering putting it as my first choice. However, I've got two questions:

1. How likely is it that I'll end up sharing a room? I really want to avoid it (not least of all bcs as a Muslim it's kinda awk waking up in the middle of the night and/or dawn to pray and what not) but I've heard you can kinda specify that room sharing is a dealbreaker and they'll be likely to give you a separate room. Would that be smth that happens irl?

2. Ensuite accommodation is kinda a big deal for me so whats the situation w Hatfield ensuite accommodation? I see they've got around 90 ensuites, but are those singles or is the catch that they're mostly shared?

Would really appreciate any help
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _shehryar_
Hi guys,
So I got an unconditional offer from Durham last month and I'm beginning to think about finalising my college preferences now since it looks like I may be headed to Durham this autumn. I'm inclined towards Hatfield (I really like the college site, the location etc) and I'm seriously considering putting it as my first choice. However, I've got two questions:

1. How likely is it that I'll end up sharing a room? I really want to avoid it (not least of all bcs as a Muslim it's kinda awk waking up in the middle of the night and/or dawn to pray and what not) but I've heard you can kinda specify that room sharing is a dealbreaker and they'll be likely to give you a separate room. Would that be smth that happens irl?

2. Ensuite accommodation is kinda a big deal for me so whats the situation w Hatfield ensuite accommodation? I see they've got around 90 ensuites, but are those singles or is the catch that they're mostly shared?

Hi, Durham Student here.
If this sharing a room is gonna be a problem I would definitely recommend a college like John Snow (my college) or South because they are all en-suite and NOT shared meaning that you will get your own space to pray. John Snow and South also have a faith/prayer room in the big facility hub which is really good cos not many colleges have that. Also, I believe some of the en suite rooms in Hatfield are shared, they're not all singles.
i hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi guys,

Hi mate, I'm a first-year at Hatfield and absolutely love it. It is an amazing college and extremely well-rounded in terms of academics, sports, and music etc, and is super close to town and pretty close to the science site (where most of the first year lectures are). You are only likely to get an ensuite if you have some sort of disability, otherwise, it is highly unlikely. Honestly, I think it is unlikely there are 90 single ensuite rooms at Hatfield, although most (not all) share rooms have an ensuite. I understand you don't want a shared room, but then you might have to forgo the ensuite. However, there are a couple of single rooms around college which are ideal (without ensuites), meaning that you might have to share with only 2/3 other people. I would defo recommend choosing a bailey college just because of convenience, and from my experience sharing a bathroom is honestly not bad at all and in many cases over-exaggerated. When you fill out the college preference form in August/September make sure to state you defo want a single room, and then you are likely to get one. There are also a couple of shared rooms which are kind of singles, as there is a wall and a door separating them, but the 2 people in that room share the same bathroom.
I will also add that if you want Hatfield make sure to have it as your first choice as it is generally over-subscribed (alongside other bailey colleges + St.Marys.).

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have other questions!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi mate, I'm a first-year at Hatfield and absolutely love it. It is an amazing college and extremely well-rounded in terms of academics, sports, and music etc, and is super close to town and pretty close to the science site (where most of the first year lectures are). You are only likely to get an ensuite if you have some sort of disability, otherwise, it is highly unlikely. Honestly, I think it is unlikely there are 90 single ensuite rooms at Hatfield, although most (not all) share rooms have an ensuite. I understand you don't want a shared room, but then you might have to forgo the ensuite. However, there are a couple of single rooms around college which are ideal (without ensuites), meaning that you might have to share with only 2/3 other people. I would defo recommend choosing a bailey college just because of convenience, and from my experience sharing a bathroom is honestly not bad at all and in many cases over-exaggerated. When you fill out the college preference form in August/September make sure to state you defo want a single room, and then you are likely to get one. There are also a couple of shared rooms which are kind of singles, as there is a wall and a door separating them, but the 2 people in that room share the same bathroom.
I will also add that if you want Hatfield make sure to have it as your first choice as it is generally over-subscribed (alongside other bailey colleges + St.Marys.).

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have other questions!

Hiya! Great to see a Hatfielder here. Thank u sm for the detailed ans. Since we're on the topic, I might as well also ask what's the situation like w Hatfield hate etc? I'm not really too pushed by it (I'm pretty chill w inter-college banter and whatnot) but I was wondering whether the stereotypes of Hatfielders being terrible ppl (all rahs and rugby lads etc) is really just an overexaggerated joke or does it have some truth to it?

Also, how have u found the college overall in terms of accommodation, food, atmosphere etc? There aren't many reviews on the standard of food or whether the accommodation in general is tatty or comfortable etc so could u share ur opinion on that side of things? I'm really set on having Hatfield as my first choice and hoping to send the preference form next week asap, but just wanna make sure I'm making the right decision choosing Hatfield over Cuths and Marys (my other choices)

Thanks again and really appreciate the insight

Original post by evakesiax
Hi, Durham Student here.
If this sharing a room is gonna be a problem I would definitely recommend a college like John Snow (my college) or South because they are all en-suite and NOT shared meaning that you will get your own space to pray. John Snow and South also have a faith/prayer room in the big facility hub which is really good cos not many colleges have that. Also, I believe some of the en suite rooms in Hatfield are shared, they're not all singles.
i hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions

Hii, thanks for the help. I'll def look into John Snow and South now when ranking the colleges, cheers!
Hiya! Great to see a Hatfielder here. Thank u sm for the detailed ans. Since we're on the topic, I might as well also ask what's the situation like w Hatfield hate etc? I'm not really too pushed by it (I'm pretty chill w inter-college banter and whatnot) but I was wondering whether the stereotypes of Hatfielders being terrible ppl (all rahs and rugby lads etc) is really just an overexaggerated joke or does it have some truth to it?

Also, how have u found the college overall in terms of accommodation, food, atmosphere etc? There aren't many reviews on the standard of food or whether the accommodation in general is tatty or comfortable etc so could u share ur opinion on that side of things? I'm really set on having Hatfield as my first choice and hoping to send the preference form next week asap, but just wanna make sure I'm making the right decision choosing Hatfield over Cuths and Marys (my other choices)

Thanks again and really appreciate the insight

Hii, thanks for the help. I'll def look into John Snow and South now when ranking the colleges, cheers!

Hey,

So yes the Hatfield hate is defo real, but it is always just a bit of banter (except sometimes when its 3 clock at night a few drunk blokes are screaming 'Tw*tfield' outside our gates - usually not an issue as the porters get rid of them asap). The way most of us at Hatfield and I think about is they hate us cause they can't be us, and it generally unites us and makes us closer as a college, I feel like if you're at Hatfield most of your mates will probs also be Hatfield. There is defo some truth in the fact that Hatfield can be quite rowdy and I would say 70+% of people at Hatfield are private-schooled (the guys do play rugby or cricket and the girls are just generally quite posh), but honestly, no one is rude (sure there are a few overly clique people but honestly that's in every college at Durham).

Rooms are generally decent and have a good size, there have been a couple of problems with mold, etc, but it is generally quickly cleaned or you can ask to be moved and people generally do get to. Food is not bad (you will get the same food at all catered colleges as they are centrally catered - apart from Chads and Johns as they are private colleges). Cuths is a nice college imo as it is generally quite unproblematic, but I am biased towards Hatfield. Mary's looks amazing from the outside probs the best college in terms of outside looks, but inside its probs the worst, literally feels like haunted 80s girls boarding school from the inside.
Hey,

So yes the Hatfield hate is defo real, but it is always just a bit of banter (except sometimes when its 3 clock at night a few drunk blokes are screaming 'Tw*tfield' outside our gates - usually not an issue as the porters get rid of them asap). The way most of us at Hatfield and I think about is they hate us cause they can't be us, and it generally unites us and makes us closer as a college, I feel like if you're at Hatfield most of your mates will probs also be Hatfield. There is defo some truth in the fact that Hatfield can be quite rowdy and I would say 70+% of people at Hatfield are private-schooled (the guys do play rugby or cricket and the girls are just generally quite posh), but honestly, no one is rude (sure there are a few overly clique people but honestly that's in every college at Durham).

Rooms are generally decent and have a good size, there have been a couple of problems with mold, etc, but it is generally quickly cleaned or you can ask to be moved and people generally do get to. Food is not bad (you will get the same food at all catered colleges as they are centrally catered - apart from Chads and Johns as they are private colleges). Cuths is a nice college imo as it is generally quite unproblematic, but I am biased towards Hatfield. Mary's looks amazing from the outside probs the best college in terms of outside looks, but inside its probs the worst, literally feels like haunted 80s girls boarding school from the inside.

Thanks again for the really detailed response, it pretty much answers all my questions. Just one final one; how far is most of the accommodation from the other facilities like dining hall, gym etc? Afaik some colleges have pretty spaced out accommodation, so was wondering whether Hatfield's is closer to the main facilities (i.e., if I go to the gym in the morning on a winters day, will I have to freeze my balls off on the way with a long walk?)

Thanks again for the really detailed response, it pretty much answers all my questions. Just one final one; how far is most of the accommodation from the other facilities like dining hall, gym etc? Afaik some colleges have pretty spaced out accommodation, so was wondering whether Hatfield's is closer to the main facilities (i.e., if I go to the gym in the morning on a winters day, will I have to freeze my balls off on the way with a long walk?)

I think Castle is the only one which is extremely spaced out, and cuths which has one self-catered sight 15 mins away. 75% of undergrads at Hatfield stay within college gates or Bailey house which is literally opposite to the gate (2 steps away). The other 25% stay in Palmers Garth, where I am right now. Palmers Garth is literally a 3-4 min walk to Hatfield and just across a bridge, it is slightly more modern as well. I would have preferred to be within college gates but honestly, palmers garth isn't too bad and quite close to college and even a little bit closer to the science site. When you get your room preference choice in August if you say you defo don't want Palmers Garth they probs won't give it to you anyways. So everything's in Hatfield except Palmers Garth which is a 3-4 min walk away.

For the gym, Hatfield has its own gym (inside college gates) which is decently equipped, unless you play DU Rugby 1st team and need a massive setup then you would have to go to Maiden Castle where the sports site is. All the colleges are the same distance from Maiden Castle, and Hatfield's Palmers Garth site is probs the closest to it from any other college anyways!
I think Castle is the only one which is extremely spaced out, and cuths which has one self-catered sight 15 mins away. 75% of undergrads at Hatfield stay within college gates or Bailey house which is literally opposite to the gate (2 steps away). The other 25% stay in Palmers Garth, where I am right now. Palmers Garth is literally a 3-4 min walk to Hatfield and just across a bridge, it is slightly more modern as well. I would have preferred to be within college gates but honestly, palmers garth isn't too bad and quite close to college and even a little bit closer to the science site. When you get your room preference choice in August if you say you defo don't want Palmers Garth they probs won't give it to you anyways. So everything's in Hatfield except Palmers Garth which is a 3-4 min walk away.

For the gym, Hatfield has its own gym (inside college gates) which is decently equipped, unless you play DU Rugby 1st team and need a massive setup then you would have to go to Maiden Castle where the sports site is. All the colleges are the same distance from Maiden Castle, and Hatfield's Palmers Garth site is probs the closest to it from any other college anyways!

Perfect. The Hatfield gym should be more than enough, not a rugby bone in my body Iโ€™m afraid. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I think that answers all the questions I have. Cheers, and hope to see you around this autumn!
Perfect. The Hatfield gym should be more than enough, not a rugby bone in my body Iโ€™m afraid. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ I think that answers all the questions I have. Cheers, and hope to see you around this autumn!

all the best!

Quick Reply