The Student Room Group

Is Uni of West London good for Law?

I applied to UWL for my final choice to study for an LLB as a wildcard, I wanted my last option to be a London uni without requirement for an LNAT so I chose UWL. UWL's entry requirement's are quite low, although they seem to rank well in most uni rankings which is the main reason I chose it. Is it good for studying law and if so, why do you think the entry requirements are so low? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

No. There is a reason the entry requirements are low.

I am unsure what you mean by a 'wildcard' also. I hope your other universities don't have the same entry requirements as UWL.
Reply 2
Original post by LawStudent456
No. There is a reason the entry requirements are low.

I am unsure what you mean by a 'wildcard' also. I hope your other universities don't have the same entry requirements as UWL.

I'm predicted AAA, 3 of my other options are AAA unis and one is AAB. Also do you mind going into a bit of detail as to why you think their not good?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AMomen88
I'm predicted AAA, 3 of my other options are AAA unis and one is AAB.

If you're predicted AAA, then you really don't need to go somewhere as shite as the university of West London! What are your other options?
Reply 4
The entry requirements for West London are low but the university ranks relatively highly for Law on the various league tables, perhaps the bad reputation is earned from other subjects? The choice for my final option was between City or West London. SOAS, Warwick, Nottingham, Leicester.
(edited 1 year ago)
The entry requirements for West London are low but the university ranks relatively highly for Law on the various league tables,

umm, I don't think so. The Complete University Guide ranks it as 106 out of 106 for law - literally the worst university for law in the country.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 22.08.31.png
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
umm, I don't think so. The Complete University Guide ranks it as 106 out of 106 for law - literally the worst university for law in the country.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 22.08.31.png

The Guardian ranks it 15th.
The Guardian ranks it 15th.

And the complete university guide ranks it dead last. If that isn't a sign of how bad it is then I don't know what is.

Guardian ranks are a joke. Everyone on here will agree with that.

Anyhow this is a pointless discussion as surely you are not stupid enough to choose UWL over Warwick or Notts just because you want to live in London. I am going to assume that is a no, you are not that stupid.
The entry requirements for West London are low but the university ranks relatively highly for Law on the various league tables, perhaps the bad reputation is earned from other subjects? The choice for my final option was between City or West London. SOAS, Warwick, Nottingham, Leicester.

Man chose UWL over Notts and Warwick LMAO.

What are your actual UCAS choices then?
I think this is a prime example of why you should never take a university ranking at face value.
Original post by Labradoodle1
I think this is a prime example of why you should never take a university ranking at face value.

Quite.
Reply 12
Reply 13
Original post by LawStudent456
Man chose UWL over Notts and Warwick LMAO.

What are your actual UCAS choices then?

You didn't read my comment properly, I DID choose Warwick and Nottingham.
Reply 14
Quite.

So would you I'm better off changing with City or Royal Holloway? I also considered Liverpool but its quite far from home.
So would you I'm better off changing with City or Royal Holloway? I also considered Liverpool but its quite far from home.

No, out of the options you've provided I'd go for either Warwick (first choice) or Nottingham. Are you planning on living at home then - is that why the distance from home is a consideration for you?
Check their rankings for law specifically, its ranked 15th

I did. The link I provided shows 55th for law for 2023. What are you seeing?
Check their rankings for law specifically, its ranked 15th

I'm doing it and it's not coming up as 15th. Even if the guardian did rank it 15th, it still wouldn't be worth picking. League tables are nonsense. Honestly if you do end up with UWL as the only university you get an offer from, I'd 100% suggest finding somewhere better in clearing.
Reply 18
No, out of the options you've provided I'd go for either Warwick (first choice) or Nottingham. Are you planning on living at home then - is that why the distance from home is a consideration for you?

Here are my five options:
SOAS
Warwick
Nottingham
Leicester
The last option was going to be West London but in light of this discussion I may change it. I can change an option within 2 weeks of receiving a 'welcome email' from UCAS. Instead of West London I am considering City London, Royal Holloway, London Met and Goldsmiths. All these are unis which meet my personal stipulations of being London unis which do not require an LNAT (although I guess RH isn't entirely a London uni).
Here are my five options:
SOAS
Warwick
Nottingham
Leicester
The last option was going to be West London but in light of this discussion I may change it. I can change an option within 2 weeks of receiving a 'welcome email' from UCAS. Instead of West London I am considering City London, Royal Holloway, London Met and Goldsmiths. All these are unis which meet my personal stipulations of being London unis which do not require an LNAT (although I guess RH isn't entirely a London uni).

All these unis will be in clearing anyway. Wasted choice. Apply another good uni

Quick Reply

Latest