The Student Room Group

I've been on TSR half my life, and today I have finished training!

My training journey has been longer than most current applicants have been alive, but this morning I have finished my last night shift as a trainee. It feels weird after such a long time - no big send-off, most people would barely have noticed if I hadn't told them, until a few months later they thought "Oh, I haven't seen Helenia for a while," but such is the life of a junior doctor. I'm having a bit of time off and then will be starting my new job as a consultant in one place for potentially the rest of my career.

For those of you still in the early stages, I thought I'd share my timeline of how I've got to this point:

2001: Apply for medicine (deferred entry).
2003: Start at Clare College, Cambridge. Join TSR (UK Learning at the time) in my first term, stumbled upon while looking for anatomy revision tips.
2007: Meet the future Mr Helenia at a TSR meet.
2009: Graduate, start FY1 in South Thames.
2011: Don't get into anaesthetics training the first time, take an "F3" year (though that wasn't really a thing back then) as a junior fellow in cardiac ICU. Get married to Mr Helenia. Several TSRians at the wedding.
2012: Start anaesthetics core training in South London.
2013: Pass Primary FRCA
2014: Move to Oxford deanery for ST3.
2015: Pass Final FRCA
2016: Mini-Helenia #1 born after I complete ST4, off on mat leave for 9 months.
2017: Return to work 60% LTFT. Plod through ST5.
2019: Mini-Helenia #2 born shortly after starting ST6. Off on mat leave for 11 months.
2020: Return to work in April in the middle of the first wave pandemic. Not ideal! Keep on trundling through LTFT training
2022: Consultant job applications. Scary.
2023: Complete training, pay GMC ££, and breathe.

As you can see, it's a marathon, not a sprint! I'm not a career high-flyer but I've done everything that's needed at each stage. I'm fortunate that I still love what I do and mostly work with awesome people. TSR has been a part of almost all my career, even though I'm not around so much these days! Good luck to all of you just getting started with it all, when it goes well, it's fantastic. :smile:
Original post by Helenia
My training journey has been longer than most current applicants have been alive, but this morning I have finished my last night shift as a trainee. It feels weird after such a long time - no big send-off, most people would barely have noticed if I hadn't told them, until a few months later they thought "Oh, I haven't seen Helenia for a while," but such is the life of a junior doctor. I'm having a bit of time off and then will be starting my new job as a consultant in one place for potentially the rest of my career.

For those of you still in the early stages, I thought I'd share my timeline of how I've got to this point:

2003: Start at Clare College, Cambridge. Join TSR (UK Learning at the time) in my first term, stumbled upon while looking for anatomy revision tips.
2011: Don't get into anaesthetics training the first time, take an "F3" year (though that wasn't really a thing back then) as a junior fellow in cardiac ICU. Get married to Mr Helenia. Several TSRians at the wedding.
2019: Mini-Helenia #2 born shortly after starting ST6. Off on mat leave for 11 months.
2020: Return to work in April in the middle of the first wave pandemic. Not ideal! Keep on trundling through LTFT training

As you can see, it's a marathon, not a sprint! I'm not a career high-flyer but I've done everything that's needed at each stage. I'm fortunate that I still love what I do and mostly work with awesome people. TSR has been a part of almost all my career, even though I'm not around so much these days! Good luck to all of you just getting started with it all, when it goes well, it's fantastic. :smile:

This was so lovely to read!

Thank you for sharing :heart:

All the best with your training :h:
Blimey! Well done you Helen! Good to hear from you :biggrin:
Original post by Helenia

This is some really amazing advice, we've been lucky to have you :smile:
How wonderful to read and congratulations :heart: What a journey - so glad that The Student Room has been a part of it. So inspiring for students just starting their journey to read this, thank you for sharing.
Your journey is so inspiring and I'm so happy for you!
Reply 6
Original post by ChrisN
Blimey! Well done you Helen! Good to hear from you :biggrin:

Thanks CN! It's been a long time since those old mod meets! I still remember the paintball bruises.
Original post by Helenia
Thanks CN! It's been a long time since those old mod meets! I still remember the paintball bruises.

A strange collection of hazy and often bizarre memories!
Congratulations!
Congrats! :bumps: All the best with the boss job :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia

Congratulations on the new job. You will smash it I am sure.

Thanks also for sharing your long journey, it shows it is absolutely possible to get to Consultant and have a family / life balance. Inspiring.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 11
Amazing! Lovely, heart-warming journey! Thank you for sharing!
Original post by Helenia
My training journey has been longer than most current applicants have been alive, <snip>

Congratulations on making it past the finishing post !

Quick Reply

Latest