The Student Room Group

Offered a different course to law at my first choice

Will I have a good chance of becoming a solicitor with a different degree just at a better university or shall I stick to law at a not bad but less respected uni?

Hi, I have applied to law at Sussex, Kent, reading (all offered me a place) and Nottingham (which I wanted so so badly) have offered me a place this morning so just waiting on Bristol.

Problem is Nottingham have changed my law application and offered me a criminology placement. I have always wanted to become a Solicitor and was wondering, although I will wait to hear back from Bristol before making decisions, say I do not get into Bristol do I accept the offer from Nottingham?

Will I have a good chance of becoming a solicitor with a different degree just at a better university or shall I stick to law at a not bad but less respected uni?
Law at reading/Sussex or kent is a better preparation for becoming a solicitor than criminology at notts.
Nottingham have done this in previous years also.

If you are worried about your unis reputation affecting your chances of securing a TC, if law firms do have a preference of universities, then they will also have a preferred course. Criminology is not exactly the most respected of degrees, nor is it the most academically challenging.

You should probably have applied for at least one more good uni (I would say apply 4 good unis if you meet the predicted grades) then you wouldn't be reliant on one uni giving you an offer. Nothing you can do now though and it is not your fault, and know schools tell you to do this.

Ultimately, you applied for law and not criminology. I wouldn't advice you study a course you do not want to study.
Original post by LawStudent456
Nottingham have done this in previous years also.

If you are worried about your unis reputation affecting your chances of securing a TC, if law firms do have a preference of universities, then they will also have a preferred course. Criminology is not exactly the most respected of degrees, nor is it the most academically challenging.

You should probably have applied for at least one more good uni (I would say apply 4 good unis if you meet the predicted grades) then you wouldn't be reliant on one uni giving you an offer. Nothing you can do now though and it is not your fault, and know schools tell you to do this.

Ultimately, you applied for law and not criminology. I wouldn't advice you study a course you do not want to study.

Thanks I did also apply to Bristol which I consider good and I’m currently on hold (so will wait to see) and if not I think I’ll go for Kent as that was my middle choice as Sussex and reading we’re both backups really
Original post by myleene_asibey
Thanks I did also apply to Bristol which I consider good and I’m currently on hold (so will wait to see) and if not I think I’ll go for Kent as that was my middle choice as Sussex and reading we’re both backups really

Yes Bristol is the obvious choice. I believe they keep everyone on hold and take months after UCAS deadline to reply, so don't worry if they keep you waiting. Good luck on your offer.
Original post by myleene_asibey

Hi, I have applied to law at Sussex, Kent, reading (all offered me a place) and Nottingham (which I wanted so so badly) have offered me a place this morning so just waiting on Bristol.

Problem is Nottingham have changed my law application and offered me a criminology placement. I have always wanted to become a Solicitor and was wondering, although I will wait to hear back from Bristol before making decisions, say I do not get into Bristol do I accept the offer from Nottingham?

I got the same because my predicted grades were AAA. Ended up getting A*A*A which kinda ****ed me off that they rejected me probably on the basis of poor teacher predicted grades

Latest

Trending

Trending