The Student Room Group

Does any one have any tips for revising History and English Literature

I revise 3 hours a week for each :smile:
what do you use for revising?
Original post by yoshinoya
what do you use for revising?

Mind maps, flash cards and past questions for english lit
Mind maps and past questions for history

P.s are their any useful online resources for any of the 2?
Reply 3
Original post by propergoodman
Mind maps, flash cards and past questions for english lit
Mind maps and past questions for history

P.s are their any useful online resources for any of the 2?

hiya! I imagine your looking on your exam boards website for past exam papers right? If not that's usually a good online resource lol

For mind maps, if you'd like to have digital ones that you can have all in one space rather than in a notebook/sheets of paper, an app called Effie is a good one! Im pretty sure you just get it on the app store/Microsoft store on pc (or download from their website) - it can be used for free, but there is also a subscription to get some other features too! You can get your mind maps on different devices too, so say you create them on pc and you want to do work at school you could get them up on your phone for example.

For flash cards, quizlet is always recommended by every single teacher i have ever had and is pretty popular, you've probably already heard of it. But its basically just digital flashcards you can create, and other people share their flashcards they've created too most of the time so you may not even have to create your own!

For english, a website called LitCharts is great! as an Alevel english lit student it is a life-saver. It has analysis of poems, plays, novels etc and is so so easy to navigate and has a great layout (for example for most poetry texts its colour coded when you hover over a line to its analysis), it has character descriptions, quotes + explanations for them, themes in the text, all sorts. Again, it is free (to an extent), but there is a subscription you can buy, which is like £8 per month, or something like £60 for a year which is pretty pricey i must admit, but its good and once you've got the subscription you can download pdf's and worksheets (im not sure if these have a time-limit type thing on them however when your subscription ends).

I hope these could be useful for you!
Original post by loulai_
hiya! I imagine your looking on your exam boards website for past exam papers right? If not that's usually a good online resource lol

For mind maps, if you'd like to have digital ones that you can have all in one space rather than in a notebook/sheets of paper, an app called Effie is a good one! Im pretty sure you just get it on the app store/Microsoft store on pc (or download from their website) - it can be used for free, but there is also a subscription to get some other features too! You can get your mind maps on different devices too, so say you create them on pc and you want to do work at school you could get them up on your phone for example.

For flash cards, quizlet is always recommended by every single teacher i have ever had and is pretty popular, you've probably already heard of it. But its basically just digital flashcards you can create, and other people share their flashcards they've created too most of the time so you may not even have to create your own!

For english, a website called LitCharts is great! as an Alevel english lit student it is a life-saver. It has analysis of poems, plays, novels etc and is so so easy to navigate and has a great layout (for example for most poetry texts its colour coded when you hover over a line to its analysis), it has character descriptions, quotes + explanations for them, themes in the text, all sorts. Again, it is free (to an extent), but there is a subscription you can buy, which is like £8 per month, or something like £60 for a year which is pretty pricey i must admit, but its good and once you've got the subscription you can download pdf's and worksheets (im not sure if these have a time-limit type thing on them however when your subscription ends).

I hope these could be useful for you!

Thanks, I really appreciate the time taken :smile:
I achieved a grade 9 in history last summer (119/132 marks).
For history I created lots of mind-maps, I have quite a photographic memory and so I was able to visualise the mind-maps in my head which helped me massively to remember information.
Flashcards can be useful to learn dates and key events, personally I didn't use flashcards but I know people who did and also got an 8 or 9.
Ask your teacher what they think will be on the exam, obviously this isn't always going to work but my history teacher predicted nearly every single question on each paper and so I was able to base my revision on what she predicted.
I achieved a grade 7 in English Literature as well.
Personally I didn't actually revise that much for English Lit but I definitely did something that helped me.
I focused a lot in class when we read the novels/plays so that I took the whole thing in and was able to get enough knowledge and analysis so that I could just learn specific quotes.
Learning specific quotes by categorising quotes into theme and characters so that I was prepared for any question.
Practise annotating quotes and writing responses to them.
I watched tons of videos on Youtube about structure for answers as well.
Original post by propergoodman
I revise 3 hours a week for each :smile:

Heya!
Make sure to do practice questions using past papers :h: I would also recommend knowing how to plan your essay ahead before writing any essay! If it helps, here are articles history and english lit (both linked). They are full of useful tips!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest