The Student Room Group

Are Lvl 4 apprenticeships available for 16+?

Hi, I've only just seen that Level 4 apprenticeships can be suitable for GCSE leavers, but I wanted to check that it was true, and if it is, may I ask how rare is it to get a Level 4 apprenticeship if you don't have much experience outside of GCSEs and your own passion?

Also, if one does a level 4 apprenticeship are you still applicable for higher apprenticeships like Level 6 degree apprenticeships? I note that they're considered equal to a year of undergraduate study, but I note that degree apprenticeships don't allow you to already have a degree. Would a level 4 apprenticeship be accepted instead of a levels, or would it block you off?

Thanks!
How rare is it to get a Level 4 apprenticeship if you don't have much experience outside of GCSEs and your own passion?
You need a level 3 qualification, subject to the employers specific requirements (grades/subjects). This could be A-levels, a college diploma, or a level 3 advanced apprenticeship.

Also, if one does a level 4 apprenticeship are you still applicable for higher apprenticeships like Level 6 degree apprenticeships? I
A lot of level 6 degree apprenticeships are 5 years and include everything you’d do in a higher apprenticeship.
If you did a level 4 higher apprenticeship, around 3 years, you could do a 2-year top up instead of doing the full 5 years.

Note that degree apprenticeships don't allow you to already have a degree.
You can’t do an apprenticeship that includes study/courses you’ve already done. You can do a second degree as an apprentice if the subjects aren’t related.

Would a level 4 apprenticeship be accepted instead of a levels, or would it block you off?
A level 3 apprenticeship is equivalent to A levels. A level 4 is equivalent to a HNC/HND or foundation degree.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chris2892
How rare is it to get a Level 4 apprenticeship if you don't have much experience outside of GCSEs and your own passion?
You need a level 3 qualification, subject to the employers specific requirements (grades/subjects). This could be A-levels, a college diploma, or a level 3 advanced apprenticeship.

Also, if one does a level 4 apprenticeship are you still applicable for higher apprenticeships like Level 6 degree apprenticeships? I
A lot of level 6 degree apprenticeships are 5 years and include everything you’d do in a higher apprenticeship.
If you did a level 4 higher apprenticeship, around 3 years, you could do a 2-year top up instead of doing the full 5 years.

Note that degree apprenticeships don't allow you to already have a degree.
You can’t do an apprenticeship that includes study/courses you’ve already done. You can do a second degree as an apprentice if the subjects aren’t related.

Would a level 4 apprenticeship be accepted instead of a levels, or would it block you off?
A level 3 apprenticeship is equivalent to A levels. A level 4 is equivalent to a HNC/HND or foundation degree.

Yes, I understand your point and thank you, however I have seen Level 4 apprenticeships accepting GCSEs? I am uncertain as to how this aligns, thanks
I’ve completed levels 2, 3, 4, and 6 apprenticeships.

Level 4 is higher education, or university level. You need A levels or their equivalent. If level 4 asks for GCSE’s it’s likely an additional grade requirement to level 3 studies.
If a level 4 apprenticeship asks for GCSE’s it’s likely an additional requirement to sufficient level 3 studies. Maybe the university wants 9s for GCSE as well as 3 As for A-level. Each employer and university can ask for different things, but you will always need the prior level of education.

You do need at least a level 6 or above in GCSE math, English, and IT for any apprenticeship. Though if you don’t have this, they just have you sit a 1-2 day course during your apprenticeship.
(edited 1 year ago)
if it says a level 4 apprenticeship is available to school leavers there is a chance that by that they are stating that the apprentice will still be sent on day release to do the level 3 course first. the wording may just state that that is the level they are willing to train some one to rather then the starting point.

level 4 is quite difficult, and a large step up from level 3 the gap between lvl 3 and lvl 4 is larger then the gap between lvl 4 and lvl 5 in terms of new formulae and subjects to be learnt.
Original post by {Moss}
Hi, I've only just seen that Level 4 apprenticeships can be suitable for GCSE leavers, but I wanted to check that it was true, and if it is, may I ask how rare is it to get a Level 4 apprenticeship if you don't have much experience outside of GCSEs and your own passion?

Also, if one does a level 4 apprenticeship are you still applicable for higher apprenticeships like Level 6 degree apprenticeships? I note that they're considered equal to a year of undergraduate study, but I note that degree apprenticeships don't allow you to already have a degree. Would a level 4 apprenticeship be accepted instead of a levels, or would it block you off?

Thanks!

i forgot to mention if you do a level 4 apprenticeship you can still do the lvl 5 or 6 afterwards. not sure if lvl 6 can be done as an apentiship scheme.
lvl 3 used to be called the ONC
lvl 4 is the HNC
lvl 5 is the HND (the lvl 3,4,5 can all be studdied on day release normally)
lvl 6 is a bachelors degree (you may be able to work along side this but unlike the others listed above it requires more time then day release)

Quick Reply

Latest