The Student Room Group

Vitamin c vs niacinamide

I'm a 19 year old man and I'm not very good with skincare my current routine suggested by someone is cleanser niacinamide then my duac cream and moisturiser for both morning and night. I have combination skin I think although I'm a bit more on the oily side. My skin is very acne prone and sensitive so can someone please suggest a good niacinamide or vitamin c serum and tell me which one I should use vitamin c or niacinamide or both because Im not sure what they do and whether I should be using it. Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a 19 year old man and I'm not very good with skincare my current routine suggested by someone is cleanser niacinamide then my duac cream and moisturiser for both morning and night. I have combination skin I think although I'm a bit more on the oily side. My skin is very acne prone and sensitive so can someone please suggest a good niacinamide or vitamin c serum and tell me which one I should use vitamin c or niacinamide or both because Im not sure what they do and whether I should be using it. Thanks

Hi! I have oily skin one day and dry the next (def combination) and personally, my pores (around nose area & chin) are stupidly large; niacinamide (by The Ordinary) is like magic in terms of tightening pores and making my skin look more 'fluid' or smooth
Original post by Chaeli-Jade
Hi! I have oily skin one day and dry the next (def combination) and personally, my pores (around nose area & chin) are stupidly large; niacinamide (by The Ordinary) is like magic in terms of tightening pores and making my skin look more 'fluid' or smooth

Hi, what website would you recommend to buy skincare products like ordinary?
Hi, what website would you recommend to buy skincare products like ordinary?

Boots - usually has offers on them every couple of months. Also I’d recommend to take it with a pinch of salt - niaminicide had a lot of good reviews however some do react badly do it. Although rare jt can make people breakout instead (like a lot of products have good and bad just depending on your skin) so I’d recommend to try it out for a couple of weeks and if your skin still breaks out after the purging period it might not be for you.
(Hahah also yes I am that rare person who’s skin just can’t take niaminicide)

This is the correct order for a skincare routine:
Cleanser
Toner
Serum
(Eye cream)
Spot Treatment
Moisturiser
(Face oil)
Sunscreen

Note that I have included eye cream and face oil in brackets. This is because based on what you’ve said, it would simply be a waste of money. Eye creams might not work depending on how your eye area currently is (wrinkles/eye bags/darkness). Since your skin is more on the oily side, I wouldn’t recommend using a face oil. Personally, I put my spot treatment straight after toner because I find it doesn’t work as effectively after serum.

What is your food diet like? Do you find certain foods break you out? Maybe try removing them from your diet and see what happens.

Vitamin C
https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/vitamin-c-serum-benefits

Niacinamide
https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/niacinamide

Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are two ingredients that are effective at controlling acne.

Remember, different products work for different people. Therefore, what works for someone might not necessarily work for you. Unfortunately, it is somewhat of a guessing game. Try different products every few months and see which works better. What products are you currently using?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
Cleanser
Toner
Serum
(Eye cream)
Spot Treatment
Moisturiser
(Face oil)
Sunscreen

Note that I have included eye cream and face oil in brackets. This is because based on what you’ve said, it would simply be a waste of money. Eye creams might not work depending on how your eye area currently is (wrinkles/eye bags/darkness). Since your skin is more on the oily side, I wouldn’t recommend using a face oil. Personally, I put my spot treatment straight after toner because I find it doesn’t work as effectively after serum.

What is your food diet like? Do you find certain foods break you out? Maybe try removing them from your diet and see what happens.

Vitamin C

Niacinamide

Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are two ingredients that are effective at controlling acne.

Remember, different products work for different people. Therefore, what works for someone might not necessarily work for you. Unfortunately, it is somewhat of a guessing game. Try different products every few months and see which works better. What products are you currently using?

Hi so currently I use benzoyl peroxide with climacydin for my acne which was prescribed for me and works. I mainly get breakouts when I eat lots of chocolate or if something oily touches my skin. In terms of cleanser I use whatever my sister has and then I apply my inkey niacinamide serum wait a few mins then apply my acne medicine then wait 10-15 mins and apply the revolution ceramides moisturizer and that's my routine right now and I missing anything also can I add vitamin c after niacinamide because I hear it makes Ur skin look brighter? Also I noticed niacinamide is making my skin look a little better my pores look smaller but apart from that not much difference should I continue using it?
What does toner do btw and do I need it?
Hi so currently I use benzoyl peroxide with climacydin for my acne which was prescribed for me and works. I mainly get breakouts when I eat lots of chocolate or if something oily touches my skin. In terms of cleanser I use whatever my sister has and then I apply my inkey niacinamide serum wait a few mins then apply my acne medicine then wait 10-15 mins and apply the revolution ceramides moisturizer and that's my routine right now and I missing anything also can I add vitamin c after niacinamide because I hear it makes Ur skin look brighter? Also I noticed niacinamide is making my skin look a little better my pores look smaller but apart from that not much difference should I continue using it?

I’m glad that the benzoyl peroxide/climacydin is working for you. Clearly chocolate should be avoided!

There isn’t anything wrong with your routine, but I’ve noticed that you are not using sunscreen.

You can definitely try vitamin C, but I’m sure a lot of the products that you are already using contain it. Continue using niacinamide if you feel it is working.
What does toner do btw and do I need it?

https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/what-does-toner-do#takeaway
Original post by 5hyl33n
I’m glad that the benzoyl peroxide/climacydin is working for you. Clearly chocolate should be avoided!

There isn’t anything wrong with your routine, but I’ve noticed that you are not using sunscreen.

You can definitely try vitamin C, but I’m sure a lot of the products that you are already using contain it. Continue using niacinamide if you feel it is working.

can u please recommend a good sunscreen for me thats not la roche because they charge a kidney for a tiny product lol :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n

hi can u also recommend a good vitamin c serum plz and thanks a lot for ur help and support its much appreciated :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n

also is effaclar duo a moisturiser can it be used after my serums?
can u please recommend a good sunscreen for me thats not la roche because they charge a kidney for a tiny product lol :smile:

Haha, you are absolutely right about that. What sort of price range are you looking at?
hi can u also recommend a good vitamin c serum plz and thanks a lot for ur help and support its much appreciated :smile:

Again, what sort of price range are you looking at?
also is effaclar duo a moisturiser can it be used after my serums?

Are you talking about this?

https://www.laroche-posay.co.uk/en_GB/effaclar-duo-plus/LRPUK-021.html

It says moisturiser, so yes, it can be used as a moisturiser. It depends on how thick the moisturising cream is, to be honest. If it is very thick then it should be one of the last things. If not, then one of the first things. If it is thick and you put it on first, then your other products (which are thinner) will find it difficult to penetrate through the skin and work effectively.
Serums are usually thinner than moisturisers, so put your serum first.

Just to add, I’m not a skincare expert. I just have an avid interest for it, so do take my advice with a pinch of salt.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Haha, you are absolutely right about that. What sort of price range are you looking at?

Again, what sort of price range are you looking at?

Are you talking about this?

https://www.laroche-posay.co.uk/en_GB/effaclar-duo-plus/LRPUK-021.html

It says moisturiser, so yes, it can be used as a moisturiser. It depends on how thick the moisturising cream is, to be honest. If it is very thick then it should be one of the last things. If not, then onhie of the first things. If it is thick and you put it on first, then your other products (which are thinner) will find it difficult to penetrate through the skin and work effectively.
Serums are usually thinner than moisturisers, so put your serum first.

Just to add, I’m not a skincare expert. I just have an avid interest for it, so do take my advice with a pinch of salt.

hi im willing to spend £10-15 for a good moisturiser/spf and £10 max for a serum
Original post by 5hyl33n
Cleanser
Toner
Serum
(Eye cream)
Spot Treatment
Moisturiser
(Face oil)
Sunscreen

Vitamin C

Niacinamide

Also just came across a vid from Dr v they said spot treatment before serum? I've been doing it the other way around
Also just came across a vid from Dr v they said spot treatment before serum? I've been doing it the other way around

As I said in my earlier post, I recommend spot treatment before serum as well. This is because serum tends to be thicker than spot treatment and so the spot treatment won’t be able to penetrate as easily through your skin if you put it after serum.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest