The Student Room Group

Work experience for engineering

What work experience is needed for engineering to put on my personal statement? Specifically chemical engineering.
Original post by Sha2006
What work experience is needed for engineering to put on my personal statement? Specifically chemical engineering.

No work experience is required. What is required is good enough grades. You can make enquiries to local companies to see if they can offer any work experience, but it won't make a difference to your university application.
Original post by Sha2006

Hi @Sha2006

For chemical engineering it's not necessary to have work experience.

This because we recognise that it's quite difficult to find work experience, especially when you're under 18 or even if you've only completed 1 year of a chemical engineering degree.

What universities are really looking for is the passion that you have for the degree and what areas you may be interested in - include this in your personal statement!

Of course, if you can secure any work experience and then draw from that experience - go for it !

Hope this has helped.
From Orla Wilson - 3rd Year Chemical Engineering Student.
Original post by Sha2006

Hello @Sha2006,

Aaron here, a third-year BEng Mechatronic Engineering student with Lancaster University.

Just to echo what the others have said here, work experience is not "needed" for entry to Lancaster University either. The purpose of the work experience is to show that you have taken some initiative to discover a career in engineering, thereby showcasing your thoughtfulness in your degree choice. This is simply to encourage you to find better security in whatever you choose to do.

With that being said, there are many ways you can demonstrate thoughtfulness and passion. Including your thoughts on certain technologies, and why they fascinate you would go a long way. Having home projects and using gadgets like utilising basic CAD for 3D-printing may also help to show genuine interest in the subject matter. Perhaps a time you attended an engineering conference gave you newfound awe for the subject? Talk about it!

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Aaron Chin
Student Ambassador @ Lancaster University
(edited 1 year ago)
Add others have said work experience is not needed for you ps, although if you are considering any engineering discipline I would recommend getting some exposure through work experience (if possible), courses, webinars etc to give you confidence you have picked the right one

I was going to apply for civil engineering, but after a course, some work experience at at construction company, some hands on mechanics experience, further reading and webinars it changed my interest to mechanical which I am now studying.

Quick Reply

Latest