The Student Room Group

essay competitions

Hi, does anyone know of any essay competitions that allow students in Year 13 to enter? Specifically for English Literature
I've been looking at Oxford/Cambridge ones but a lot of them are just for Year 12 students so wondering if anyone knows any others
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by lhq20054
Hi, does anyone know of any essay competitions that allow students in Year 13 to enter? Specifically for English Literature
I've been looking at Oxford/Cambridge ones but a lot of them are just for Year 12 students so wondering if anyone knows any others
Thank you

Hello, have you thought about doing the EPQ? It's stated to be an extended essay of about 5,000 words or creating a product with an accompanying shorter essay of about 1,000 words. The source is from Google and I read that there is no set time limit for it. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
My school doesn't let you start one in Year 13 unfortunately, and I decided in Year 12 not to do it then
I might look into doing it externally from September if I take a gap year
Thank you :smile:
Original post by jdede5
Hello, have you thought about doing the EPQ? It's stated to be an extended essay of about 5,000 words or creating a product with an accompanying shorter essay of about 1,000 words. The source is from Google and I read that there is no set time limit for it. Hope this helps.
Reply 3
My school doesn't let you start one in Year 13 unfortunately, and I decided in Year 12 not to do it then
I might look into doing it externally from September if I take a gap year
Thank you :smile:

You are welcome but that's unfortunate :/
Reply 4
This is a humanities based essay competition- John Locke https://www.johnlockeinstitute.com/essay-competition
I don't think they do English Literature but have a look to see if there is anything that interests you!

Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Ashirs
This is a humanities based essay competition- John Locke https://www.johnlockeinstitute.com/essay-competition
I don't think they do English Literature but have a look to see if there is anything that interests you!

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply