The Student Room Group

Religion, Philosophy and Ethics OCR

Hi, is anyone here doing Religion, Philosophy and Ethics OCR as an A Level, and how is it? Would you recommend it? What do you mostly learn about?

I'm in Y11 and thinking about taking it since my chosen sixth form doesn't do Philosophy on its own, and that's what I'm mainly looking to learn. Thank you!
I took A level Philosophy on its own - if you’re looking to do a lot of philosophy in Religion ethics and philosophy, you won’t do as much as you hope to, but you will cover some interesting philosophy topics. My friend took the OCR course that you’re talking about, and he enjoyed it. I guess it depends on whether you like religion academically or not. The ethics and philosophy modules are interesting, but i can’t comment on the religion modules.

hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by KhaoticCarnage
I took A level Philosophy on its own - if you’re looking to do a lot of philosophy in Religion ethics and philosophy, you won’t do as much as you hope to, but you will cover some interesting philosophy topics. My friend took the OCR course that you’re talking about, and he enjoyed it. I guess it depends on whether you like religion academically or not. The ethics and philosophy modules are interesting, but i can’t comment on the religion modules.

hope this helps

Ty!!
i do ocr religious studies and have only been studying it for a couple weeks as a private candidate. i personally think it's harder than psychology and sociology (my 2 other subjects) and it is taking me a while to understand unlike the other subjects. the philosophy part is the tricky part for me but religion is all fine for me. if you are really interested in philosophy, you will enjoy it a lot. most people say RS is easy but it really isn't it includes a lot of content and a lot of things to understand. for some reason some things don't make sense to me with the philosophers but for you, that may be different and especially if you're interested in it. i'm interested in religion and didn't expect this amount of philosophy :frown:.
overall, i think it's a good subject, as long as you study hard you will do really well and the fact that there are four questions per paper but you only answer three as you are able to choose which i find pretty nice.
what other subjects are you thinking of choosing?
perhaps i can help you once you get into yr 12 :smile:
Original post by alevelstudent090
i do ocr religious studies and have only been studying it for a couple weeks as a private candidate. i personally think it's harder than psychology and sociology (my 2 other subjects) and it is taking me a while to understand unlike the other subjects. the philosophy part is the tricky part for me but religion is all fine for me. if you are really interested in philosophy, you will enjoy it a lot. most people say RS is easy but it really isn't it includes a lot of content and a lot of things to understand. for some reason some things don't make sense to me with the philosophers but for you, that may be different and especially if you're interested in it. i'm interested in religion and didn't expect this amount of philosophy :frown:.
overall, i think it's a good subject, as long as you study hard you will do really well and the fact that there are four questions per paper but you only answer three as you are able to choose which i find pretty nice.
what other subjects are you thinking of choosing?
perhaps i can help you once you get into yr 12 :smile:

philosophy is very tricky, and i do think it is definitively easier for some than others - as i took philosophy on its own, i don’t mind helping you understand the concepts (i am currently doing a philosophy degree with law).

philosophy is tied close to religion (and a lot of other subjects) hence why it is taught as a part of religion in most cases.

it can be difficult but it’s also very rewarding in that respect.

Quick Reply

Latest