The Student Room Group

Best A-Levels for Accounting and Finance degree?

This is my first post here so sorry if I get something wrong!

I am hoping to study an Accounting and Finance degree at university, and I am currently taking A-Level Maths, Geography, Chemistry and Biology and also starting an EPQ. At the moment I am currently hating geography, and am thinking to drop, but I don't know whether that will be detrimental for my chance at securing a place at a top uni. I am predicted A*s and As for all of my subjects, but I just don't know which to drop! No unis require geography, but do you think that the combo of Maths, Biology and Chemistry isn't broad enough?? Should I even do a degree in Accounting and Finance? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance :smile:
Why do you want to study accounting and finance?

Maths, Chem and Bio is absolutely fine. Its pretty common as a combination in A+F degrees in fact. A+F isn't a hugely competitive course to get into so figuring out which A levels might give some hidden benefit isn't really of value. Its possible that some courses might prefer a humanities type subject so its worth thinking about universities that interest you and checking their requirements.
Original post by ajj2000

Maths, Chem and Bio is absolutely fine. Its pretty common as a combination in A+F degrees in fact. A+F isn't a hugely competitive course to get into so figuring out which A levels might give some hidden benefit isn't really of value. Its possible that some courses might prefer a humanities type subject so its worth thinking about universities that interest you and checking their requirements.

Thank you so much for responding! At first I wanted to study biology, and then possibly go into finance after my degree, since I love maths and excel, but now I think it will just be more beneficial to go straight into finance. I think I am pretty set on accounting and finance, and I am hoping to learn more about it when I do my EPQ, as I want to to base my topic around it.

Thank you for confirming that Maths, Bio and Chem were ok, I am still undecided whether to drop Geo or not, but this has helped me with my decision!

Also, does anyone have any recommendations of what to put on personal statements? Eg any good books on accounting or finance to read or online courses to take?
Original post by SweetieTree
Thank you so much for responding! At first I wanted to study biology, and then possibly go into finance after my degree, since I love maths and excel, but now I think it will just be more beneficial to go straight into finance. I think I am pretty set on accounting and finance, and I am hoping to learn more about it when I do my EPQ, as I want to to base my topic around it.

Thank you for confirming that Maths, Bio and Chem were ok, I am still undecided whether to drop Geo or not, but this has helped me with my decision!

Also, does anyone have any recommendations of what to put on personal statements? Eg any good books on accounting or finance to read or online courses to take?

As a query - how much do you love maths? Enough to do a mathematical degree? That could leave you with broader options on graduation.

For a personal statement - I would look to read about business. Perhaps read the Economist magazine, and some textbook about business studies so you can reflect on why you want to work within businesses.
Original post by ajj2000
As a query - how much do you love maths? Enough to do a mathematical degree? That could leave you with broader options on graduation.

For a personal statement - I would look to read about business. Perhaps read the Economist magazine, and some textbook about business studies so you can reflect on why you want to work within businesses.

Thank you for the personal statement help, I'll look up the Economist now!

I do like maths but to an extent. I don't do further maths A-Level, and so most mathematical degrees are not options for me, something I regret now. Do you know of any mathematical degrees which do not require further maths? Thanks!
Original post by SweetieTree
Thank you for the personal statement help, I'll look up the Economist now!

I do like maths but to an extent. I don't do further maths A-Level, and so most mathematical degrees are not options for me, something I regret now. Do you know of any mathematical degrees which do not require further maths? Thanks!

See if there are any good discounts available for the Economist. If not a lot of school libraries have it and I'm sure your local and town libraries do.

Maths degrees are not one of my areas of expertise but I think that most don't require further maths. The very top ones tend to.

Exeter have a course in maths with accounting which looks good and I'm sure they don't need FM. Data Science type degrees might be a good option and are certainly worth looking into. Any particular universities you are interested in?
Original post by ajj2000
See if there are any good discounts available for the Economist. If not a lot of school libraries have it and I'm sure your local and town libraries do.

Maths degrees are not one of my areas of expertise but I think that most don't require further maths. The very top ones tend to.

Exeter have a course in maths with accounting which looks good and I'm sure they don't need FM. Data Science type degrees might be a good option and are certainly worth looking into. Any particular universities you are interested in?

Ah thank you! Would you say that degrees like data science are more broad than an Accounting and Finance degree then? My top two universities I'd love to go to are LSE and Warwick, but I'd be happy to go to places like Bristol, Aston or Swansea. And I'll check with my school about the Economist!
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000

Curious - why do you think A&F isn't hugely competitive ?

Most RG universities are still looking for AAA or A*AA for it, and having reviewed some of their application/offer stats, it seems it's very popular with international students
Original post by dunnott
Curious - why do you think A&F isn't hugely competitive ?

Most RG universities are still looking for AAA or A*AA for it, and having reviewed some of their application/offer stats, it seems it's very popular with international students

I guess I would consider the hugely competitive courses to be subjects like computer science and economics. I guess you could add medicine and allied medical courses but they have some of their own processes.

With economics/ CS applications there is a pretty real chance that a strong candidate with good grades at GCSE and strong predictions or actuals for A level will face a number of rejections from their chosen universities. This is a real issue for someone looking at Oxbridge + LSE/ Imperial. People do spend time considering which A levels to chose in the hope of improving their chances, and wondering what their chances of offers are as part of deciding where to apply in addition to pondering whether they will meet the grades. At least in recent years (even pre Covid) dropping a grade might well lose the offer.

In addition to the risk of not getting many offers there tend to be few if any places in clearing for stronger candidates who had valid applications to competitive universities.

Courses like accounting are not tough to get into in that way. Pretty much if you have the grades you get an offer. LSE is probably an exception to this. KCL was last year when the popularity of the course boomed, and Bristol may be a risk. However if you pick pretty much anywhere else and meet the requirements you can be pretty confident of getting offers. Likewise, there is a decent chance (outside of covid years) of getting in with lower grades on results day and there are unusually choices in clearing.
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
I guess I would consider the hugely competitive courses to be subjects like computer science and economics. I guess you could add medicine and allied medical courses but they have some of their own processes.

With economics/ CS applications there is a pretty real chance that a strong candidate with good grades at GCSE and strong predictions or actuals for A level will face a number of rejections from their chosen universities. This is a real issue for someone looking at Oxbridge + LSE/ Imperial. People do spend time considering which A levels to chose in the hope of improving their chances, and wondering what their chances of offers are as part of deciding where to apply in addition to pondering whether they will meet the grades. At least in recent years (even pre Covid) dropping a grade might well lose the offer.

In addition to the risk of not getting many offers there tend to be few if any places in clearing for stronger candidates who had valid applications to competitive universities.

Courses like accounting are not tough to get into in that way. Pretty much if you have the grades you get an offer. LSE is probably an exception to this. KCL was last year when the popularity of the course boomed, and Bristol may be a risk. However if you pick pretty much anywhere else and meet the requirements you can be pretty confident of getting offers. Likewise, there is a decent chance (outside of covid years) of getting in with lower grades on results day and there are unusually choices in clearing.

Thank you very much for your considered and informed response. I appreciate/understand your point of view now.
Original post by dunnott
Thank you very much for your considered and informed response. I appreciate/understand your point of view now.

I don't think the differences between applications for different courses are discussed enough. It can make a huge difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending