The Student Room Group

finding uni house/accomodation for year 2

I'm a bit worried about finding accommodation next year and also a bit confused? I have friends at uni but not any I think I would end up sharing a house with. are you supposed to gather a group of people first and then go house hunting or do you find spare rooms in houses?

also if I want to stay in a private accommodation instead of a house should I be looking now? same for the house as well ig cuz my uni advice website said I should of found something by Christmas! I don't mind sharing a house with people it's just I haven't found a big group of friends that I could do that with.
Reply 1
There are several ways you can go about sorting out your accommodation for next year. Yes, you can move into private accommodation with a group of your friends, in which case you should be getting set up now. If you don’t see yourself living with other people there are always privately owned studio flats available, but the budget is normally quite a bit more expensive. If not you will always find on FB and other web sites people with a spare room in their house to rent. These are available all year round when students decide to give up their course, do an Erasmus or equivalent sandwich year or fail exams. However, if you do this, you might be the outsider in the group so may well have to make a little effort at the beginning to find your place. And finally there are non student rents with spare rooms, but you’ll have to sort out declaring your student status to avoid paying council tax.
Although I wouldn’t panic, you should start thinking about it now. It obviously varies from uni to uni and depends on the housing pool available, but my DD signed her contract for next years accommodation 2 weeks ago. There were fifteen groups looking around it, and it was first come, first to depose a completed application with the financial guarantees to get it.
Reply 2
Some unis let you stay in halls throughout the degree if they have enough accommodation available.
Original post by Spelunker
I'm a bit worried about finding accommodation next year and also a bit confused? I have friends at uni but not any I think I would end up sharing a house with. are you supposed to gather a group of people first and then go house hunting or do you find spare rooms in houses?

also if I want to stay in a private accommodation instead of a house should I be looking now? same for the house as well ig cuz my uni advice website said I should of found something by Christmas! I don't mind sharing a house with people it's just I haven't found a big group of friends that I could do that with.

Hey there!
I can only speak from personal experience with this as I felt the same at the end of first year and decided to go back into student accommodation for second year. If you feel unsure about next year that's probably your best bet. Accommodations usually tell you what year your flatmates are when you book so you could even aim for sharing with other second years if you'd like. Finding a flat-share is also an option if you'd prefer to be in a house or flat for next year. You can usually find those either in Facebook groups or on housing sites like RightMove and sometimes you'll find these to be a lot cheaper. From going back into student halls for second year, I've now found a group that I would want to live with for final year which is a bonus so I don't think it would be a bad idea. There's always the myth floating around that you should have everything done and sorted by Christmas and luckily that just isn't the case. If you're booking back into student halls I'd definitely recommend the sooner the better but normal student rentals keep getting added until the end of the year, it just depends if a particular flat really peaks your interest.

Have you tried going to any viewings?
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Finding accommodation can be a challenge, especially if you're unfamiliar with the area and don't have a solid plan in place. Here are a few options that you can consider:

Student housing: Many universities offer student housing on campus or nearby, which is a great option if you're looking for a convenient and secure place to live. You can apply for student housing through the university's housing office.

Private rental: You can also look for private rental properties, such as apartments, studios, or houses, either individually or with a group of friends. You can search for properties online on websites such as Zillow, Craigslist, or Rent.com.

Room in a shared house: If you're looking to save money, you can consider finding a spare room in a shared house. You can find these opportunities by searching online, through local classifieds, or by asking friends and acquaintances for recommendations.

House-hunting with friends: You can also gather a group of friends and start house-hunting together. This way, you can split the rent and household expenses, and have the comfort of living with people you know and trust.

Regardless of the option you choose, it's always best to start your search early, research thoroughly, and compare prices and amenities to find the best accommodation that meets your needs and budget.

Finding accommodation can be a challenge, especially if you're unfamiliar with the area and don't have a solid plan in place. Here are a few options that you can consider:

Student housing: Many universities offer student housing on campus or nearby, which is a great option if you're looking for a convenient and secure place to live. You can apply for student housing through the university's housing office.

Private rental: You can also look for private rental properties, such as apartments, studios, or houses, either individually or with a group of friends. You can search for properties online on websites such as Zillow, Craigslist, or Rent.com.

Room in a shared house: If you're looking to save money, you can consider finding a spare room in a shared house. You can find these opportunities by searching online, through local classifieds, or by asking friends and acquaintances for recommendations.

House-hunting with friends: You can also gather a group of friends and start house-hunting together. This way, you can split the rent and household expenses, and have the comfort of living with people you know and trust.

Regardless of the option you choose, it's always best to start your search early, research thoroughly, and compare prices and amenities to find the best accommodation that meets your needs and budget.

Hi Spelunker,
There's so many different ways that you can approach sorting your accommodation for the next academic year. Some students do find a group of people first or look at spare rooms but there are many other alternatives. In terms of private accommodation, you can often book as a group but it's also possible to apply on your own, and be allocated into a flat/apartment by the accommodation team. You can often input preferences but it depends on availability if these can be met and are subject to change (e.g. if somebody in the flat drops out and the room needs to be filled). Alternatively, you could apply for a room in a small flat with fewer people or even a studio, if you're nervous about living with people you don't know.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi there :smile:

Finding second and third year accommodation can be extremely stressful, especially when you've never done it before. As mentioned above, there are numerous approaches that you can take when sorting out your housing situation next year. Firstly I want to clear up the 'finding a house before Christmas' because this was something I heard when I was in first year and it really stressed me out. I spent the whole of the Christmas break worrying about not having a place to live next year for no reason. The most ideal situation is to get your housing sorted by then for two main reasons 1) Thats when you can find the cheaper deals on properties 2)Thats when the stupidly big houses are available. For big groups wanting to live together e.g. 6+ it might be necessary to go house hunting fairly early on as there is little guarantee that those bigger properties will be available throughout the whole year.
That being said, there will always be an option on where you can live. I have known friends to get housing sorted the summer before they move in to second year and other who sorted it out straight away in first term or first year and ended up falling out with their friends before the end of the year.

In terms of what you can do, here are some options:

- Find a person/people you want to live with, agree to move in together, start looking for available properties online
-Look at a private shared accommodation (some unis have student villages or private halls which is like living in your current uni flat but somewhere off campus). You can either rent a room in a shared property or rent out a studio flat
- Consider reapplying to live in halls. I did this for my second year and it was the best decision for me. I was really close to my second year flatmates and it was a very positive experience as our whole block consisted of only second and third years. This meant that it was a lot quieter than first year and I could actually get work done

Regardless of what you choose to do, I would suggest looking early on as the process can take a long time. I hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there!
I can only speak from personal experience with this as I felt the same at the end of first year and decided to go back into student accommodation for second year. If you feel unsure about next year that's probably your best bet. Accommodations usually tell you what year your flatmates are when you book so you could even aim for sharing with other second years if you'd like. Finding a flat-share is also an option if you'd prefer to be in a house or flat for next year. You can usually find those either in Facebook groups or on housing sites like RightMove and sometimes you'll find these to be a lot cheaper. From going back into student halls for second year, I've now found a group that I would want to live with for final year which is a bonus so I don't think it would be a bad idea. There's always the myth floating around that you should have everything done and sorted by Christmas and luckily that just isn't the case. If you're booking back into student halls I'd definitely recommend the sooner the better but normal student rentals keep getting added until the end of the year, it just depends if a particular flat really peaks your interest.

Have you tried going to any viewings?
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

yes i have been to some viewings now, and I have found a room that I'm interested in with some people in my year!
Reply 9
yes i have been to some viewings now, and I have found a room that I'm interested in with some people in my year!

Really pleased for you !!

Quick Reply