The Student Room Group

How many pages do you read on average a week for Uni?

In year 2 2nd Semester at EWdinburgh university, and last semester I thought there was quite a lot of reading, maybe 100 pages total a week. but it was manegable (This isn't including tutorials)

But this semester, I've got one class that has an absolute ton of reading. Like 300 pages a week for two lectures (also not including tutorials)
Is a history/modern history course, but it just seems like an absolute ton.

I've got ADHD and its quite hard to concentrate a lot, especially for this many pages. And this is just one class btw. Thankfully the other classes are far more manegable (with one being a Logic class so its maybe 5-10 pages a week.

Is this normal?
Original post by HermitIsFat
In year 2 2nd Semester at EWdinburgh university, and last semester I thought there was quite a lot of reading, maybe 100 pages total a week. but it was manegable (This isn't including tutorials)

But this semester, I've got one class that has an absolute ton of reading. Like 300 pages a week for two lectures (also not including tutorials)

I've got ADHD and its quite hard to concentrate a lot, especially for this many pages. And this is just one class btw. Thankfully the other classes are far more manegable (with one being a Logic class so its maybe 5-10 pages a week.

Is this normal?

This is actually normal and you need to worry much about that. However if things don't work as you need they work am a tutor for the last five years majorly on History I know what it takes to excel in history. If you need any guidance do not hesitate to reach to me am open to help you all through you course kindly send a private message if you feel it is necessary

Is this normal?

You do 'read' for a degree. You don't say what course you're on, but if I think back to doing law, the starred readings for each week would easily approach this, plus churning out several essays each week. It sounds normal for a good course at an academically strong university.
Reply 3
300 pages a week was run of the mill for my degree (philosophy). That's not to say everybody actually did it (including me, sometimes).
Hey there,

That sounds about right. I study psychology and we are recommended to read roughly 4 chapters a week of textbooks, which doesn't sound like much but I swear some textbooks are are gigantic! Alongside that they also suggest further readings to strengthen our knowledge on modules. So lots and lots of reading to get through, it is certainly difficult to stay focused. I try to do 30 minutes of reading and then take a 5 minute break to stay focused, and then write a short paragraph about what you have read. Getting an old school reading long has really helped me to keep track of everything i've read :biggrin:

If you feel like you're struggling to keep up with everything it may be worth talking to your personal tutor/lecturers to get a bit of advice/support too :smile:

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep
Hi,
It really does depend on your course. I study Cybersecurity, but some of my modules require more reading than others. I would think that your amount was quite average and normal, but I don't know which course you are on. Short answer is that there is no correct amount really, and it is based on your degree requirements :smile:.

Jessica - University of Sunderland Ambassador

Is this normal?

Hey there @HermitIsFat !
Unfortunately this is pretty normal for university. Lecturers expect to give you taught material for the week and then you're supposed to expand on the knowledge outside of the timetabled sessions. Some lecturers say the reason they set it all during the module every week is to aid your knowledge for the assessment so you don't have to do it all in the couple of weeks during it. If you're finding it difficult to decide what works for you, try reading over the abstract to see if it would help. if you feel like it isn't going to help your overall grade, read the first sentence of every paragraph as it's usually a topic sentence of what content is in that section. Just pick out the bits you need, usually reading the whole thing will go in one ear and out the other.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest