The Student Room Group

Nottingham V Leeds V Durham

Hi! Im a international student of Canada, I've received offers for LLB at these 3 uni's, Im having trouble deciding because I've heard wonderful things about all of them. My parents are leading towards Durham because as far as we know of the three thats the most "prestigious" but I've sadly heard there is a bit of a classism, racism and homophobia issue, which for me who's gown up in a white suburb isn't a huge issue but I just dont know. Whats the general consensus on which of these unis is best for a law? I've seen some good stuff on Nottingham as well!
Reply 1
Congratulations on your offers! I also applied to Durham and Nottingham for law. I know that a large proportion of those that go to Durham are from private schools in comparison to other unis here which concerns me however when I visited the uni on an open day I felt all the people there were lovely. It felt like a welcoming environment but that’s my personal experience. Also, Durham is definitely up there in terms of prestige out of the three but all three are great Russell group universities.
Is there specific factors you’re prioritising when it comes to looking at universities? That may help you to find which one to go with
It depends what you are looking for.

In terms of prestige, rankings and employment, Durham does perform the best out of those three. However, they are all really good law schools, though I would say Durham and Nottingham are the best two (not too big of a difference though).

More important are factors such as location. Durham is a very, very small city more akin to a town. Leeds is a big city and Nottingham a medium(ish - on the larger side) city. Durham also has a collegiate system, whereas Nottingham and Leeds do not. Durham also has quite a few traditions, like a lot of colleges having gowned formals. These are the factors which will dictate your experiences, not the rankings of the university. I recommend looking more at these things and what you prefer.

I tend to think those issues about Durham are overstated. After all, you don’t hear the “noise” of the overwhelming positive experiences people have there, just the bad stuff. Most people I have spoken to have really enjoyed their experiences there. You will find ********s at all universities, just as you will find those who become “your people” no matter where you go.

If you choose Durham, you will probably see me as I also have an offer for the LLB. Hope this helped. :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ru123
Congratulations on your offers! I also applied to Durham and Nottingham for law. I know that a large proportion of those that go to Durham are from private schools in comparison to other unis here which concerns me however when I visited the uni on an open day I felt all the people there were lovely. It felt like a welcoming environment but that’s my personal experience. Also, Durham is definitely up there in terms of prestige out of the three but all three are great Russell group universities.
Is there specific factors you’re prioritising when it comes to looking at universities? That may help you to find which one to go with

ah, Im glad to hear you had a good open day! I got so jealous when I got the emails for it because, obviously, I couldn't go. All my info on the campus is gleaned from photos! I guess my priorities lie in whichever can help me truly become well-learned in the law, but again, all the unis seem to have a pretty good track record with student satisfaction!
Reply 4
Original post by fec1864
It depends what you are looking for.

In terms of prestige, rankings and employment, Durham does perform the best out of those three. However, they are all really good law schools, though I would say Durham and Nottingham are the best two (not too big of a difference though).

More important are factors such as location. Durham is a very, very small city more akin to a town. Leeds is a big city and Nottingham a medium(ish - on the larger side) city. Durham also has a collegiate system, whereas Nottingham and Leeds do not. Durham also has quite a few traditions, like a lot of colleges having gowned formals. These are the factors which will dictate your experiences, not the rankings of the university. I recommend looking more at these things and what you prefer.

I tend to think those issues about Durham are overstated. After all, you don’t hear the “noise” of the overwhelming positive experiences people have there, just the bad stuff. Most people I have spoken to have really enjoyed their experiences there. You will find ********s at all universities, just as you will find those who become “your people” no matter where you go.

If you choose Durham, you will probably see me as I also have an offer for the LLB. Hope this helped. :biggrin:

Durham's social systems, like the formals and collages, and super appealing to me. I'm a very extroverted high energy person, and one of my bigger fears is about being an international student is befriending new people. I feel like the college system is a way to have a sort of built-in school team which I have 0 objections too honestly. I also grew up in a suburb so a small town kinda just seems like home to me!
Original post by V Ash
Durham's social systems, like the formals and collages, and super appealing to me. I'm a very extroverted high energy person, and one of my bigger fears is about being an international student is befriending new people. I feel like the college system is a way to have a sort of built-in school team which I have 0 objections too honestly. I also grew up in a suburb so a small town kinda just seems like home to me!

In that case Durham is your best option. I call it "the Harry Potter version of Oxbridge"; and that's meant to be a compliment! There is a feeling of stepping back in time to a gentler, quieter era. Standards are high but the workload is less intense than at Oxbridge as there is no tutorial system and students are usually taught in departmental buildings rather than colleges, which function as social and residential communities.

To get the full Durham experience I would recommend listing Bailey colleges such as University (the Castle), Hatfield or St Chad's as your preferences. Check them out on the Website. They are located on the peninsula, grouped around Durham Cathedral. The area is a World Heritage site. When you graduate, the ceremony will take place in the Cathedral, which dates from the late 11th century and is wonderfully atmospheric if you have an appreciation of history.

Best wishes for your future studies.
Original post by V Ash

In that case, I would definitely go for Durham then! :smile:
Hey, I am a student at the university of Nottingham studying Law if you have any question about the city or the course please feel free to ask.

Quick Reply