The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Spelling Mistake

Argh! I looked over my personal statement so many times but it's only when I sent it off that I noticed a typo I had made :frown: ! I wrote 'experienced' instead of 'experiences'. I'm honestly devastated, can someone please tell me if this is going to stop me from getting offers? I have applied to Liverpool, Manchester, Keele, Hull and Surrey.
Most likely it will not impact the offer at all. Most personal statements are skimmed through anyway due to the large amounts of applicants.
It won't effect your chances at all.Chill.
Hello,

If your personal statement does reflect and justify the reason for choosing the course, I think it should be alright. You can reach out to the university and tell them about this minor error or you can resubmit the PS.

Hope this works.
Best wishes,
Abdul
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Original post by tsruserrrr
Argh! I looked over my personal statement so many times but it's only when I sent it off that I noticed a typo I had made :frown: ! I wrote 'experienced' instead of 'experiences'. I'm honestly devastated, can someone please tell me if this is going to stop me from getting offers? I have applied to Liverpool, Manchester, Keele, Hull and Surrey.
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

If your personal statement does reflect and justify the reason for choosing the course, I think it should be alright. You can reach out to the university and tell them about this minor error or you can resubmit the PS.

Hope this works.
Best wishes,
Abdul
Coventry University Student Ambassador

@PQ is this correct advice?Many thanks
There’s no point contacting the uni’s over such a small typo. It almost certainly won’t be noticed, and even if it was, it won’t make any difference to the application outcome.
Original post by Admit-One
There’s no point contacting the uni’s over such a small typo. It almost certainly won’t be noticed, and even if it was, it won’t make any difference to the application outcome.

But are you allowed to resubmit a personal statement after deadline?I think that info is incorrect.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Scotney
But are you allowed to resubmit a personal statement after deadline?I think that info is incorrect.

There’s no formal way to do this, no.

You can email a Uni directly and ask them if they might accept one emailed directly to them, but it’s at their discretion and they’re not going to thank you for doing so to fix a typo.
There’s no formal way to do this, no.

You can email a Uni directly and ask them if they might accept one emailed directly to them, but it’s at their discretion and they’re not going to thank you for doing so to fix a typo.

Thanks yes totally agree.Thanks for clearing that up.
Hi there!

It's lovely to see that you are interested in studying at Surrey! Concerning your personal statement, please do not worry. I've worked alongside the admission team at Surrey and I can guarantee that you won't be the only person to make a typo and it really won't be noticed. Admissions teams will not penalise you or reject your application over such a small error.

If you have any questions about Surrey or university life, please do get in touch!

Best wishes,
Alice
Final Year Modern Languages Student

Original post by tsruserrrr
It will make precisely no difference. You'd be surprised by the kind of nonsense people write in their statements and still receive offers from top universities and competitive courses. It is only one part of your application and a (usually) small part at that.
Original post by ByronicHero
It will make precisely no difference. You'd be surprised by the kind of nonsense people write in their statements and still receive offers from top universities and competitive courses. It is only one part of your application and a (usually) small part at that.

Not at all related to this thread, but just wanted to thank you for the Transfer FAQ. It’s been an invaluable resource and saved various forum helpers loads of time.
Not at all related to this thread, but just wanted to thank you for the Transfer FAQ. It’s been an invaluable resource and saved various forum helpers loads of time.

You're most welcome. That has to be over a decade old now, so I am glad it has proven useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending