Schott
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
This is just a general interest post so people please don't attack me lol!

Just wondered if there was one College that generally stood out as being (rightly or wrongly) more prestigious than any others. At Cambridge it seems to be relatively clear that it's Trinity, probably with John's as a close second (though depends on your criteria, obviously).

But for Oxford I've heard its a bit more contentious, with names such as University, Christ Church, Magdalen and Balliol bounded around.

Is there any consensus at all on which one generally ranks highest in terms of being most prestigious then? A lot seem to say Christ Church, but they also joke about hating people there too lol.
faber niger
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Balliol, probably. Not that prestige is necessarily a positive. It's apparently the most applied to college, also, if that has any relevance.
01zaporozhets
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Needless to say you'll get rinsed for starting this thread, it's an impossible question to answer blah blah blah.

But if anything, pretty much the ones you mentioned, plus St John's and Merton are good too.
rotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most people I know would say christ church.
probably not
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
all souls by some distance
Schott
Rep:
?
Cool. I didn't really want it to turn into a 'which is best' thread or anything too serious. Just curious to see the counterpart to Trinity Cambridge. Is there not one that is generally cited most often?

Also is it true you need to get incredibly high grades to get into All Souls for postgrad study?
pendragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Overall Balliol.

Academically Balliol and Merton.

Socially Balliol, Ch Ch and Magdalen.

St Johns is an also ran.
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Magdalen has a deer park, if that counts for anything. >_>
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's quite clearly Magdalen and Christ Church for Oxford.

Although it's a funny thing. John's (Cambridge) is rich with nice buildings, but always does mediocrely academically.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
Oh please, it's still Oxford at the end of the day, regardless of which college you studied at. :rolleyes:
Schott
Rep:
?
LOL ok thanks (though any others keep it coming). I quite liked the look of Christ Church when I was having a look around at xmas. Then again I also find St Antony's appealing and that seems the opposite (anyone know how it has such old buildings at the front considering it was founded in 1950???).
pendragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tony_ron)
LOL ok thanks (though any others keep it coming). I quite liked the look of Christ Church when I was having a look around at xmas. Then again I also find St Antony's appealing and that seems the opposite (anyone know how it has such old buildings at the front considering it was founded in 1950???).
St Antony's is a popular graduate college, Ch Ch is popular for undergrad but considered a bit rah, most of the grads I know who were there as undergrads decided to switch from Ch Ch saying it wouldn't be the best place to be a grad.
kuka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think Balliol, Christ Church and Merton are quite prestigious - but anyway, it's the same university
Schott
Rep:
?
Aha. Interested in doing graduate studies in Oxford, with St Antony's, Ch Ch and Magd being all quite attractive choices. Worried if I put two popular ones down as my choices that I might not get either. Wondering if it's a better idea to put a popular one AND a less popular one on the form to ensure that you at least get to sort of decide where you go (assuming u get into the less popular of the two) rather than taking a risk. All Souls was appealing but have been warned off it as being far to competitive.
Dionysia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All Souls for postgrads.

I'd say ChCh, in general.

(Original post by MSB)
Trinity.

Definitely.

Yeah.
=P Well, if you're there...
Turdburger
Report 10 years ago
Balliol is odd in that its not very old or exceptionally pretty (well the buildings arent) or very rich but still very popular and "prestigious".

I would say Merton, Magdalen and Balliol. Then Johns Ch Ch Univ, Brasenose, Trinity.
Icy_Mikki
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
+1 for All Souls. It is by far the most prestigious college.
kuka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Turdburger)
Balliol is odd in that its not very old or exceptionally pretty (well the buildings arent) or very rich but still very popular and "prestigious".

I would say Merton, Magdalen and Balliol. Then Johns Ch Ch Univ, Brasenose, Trinity.
Seems reasonable. I would agree with that
pendragon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tony_ron)
Aha. Interested in doing graduate studies in Oxford, with St Antony's, Ch Ch and Magd being all quite attractive choices. Worried if I put two popular ones down as my choices that I might not get either. Wondering if it's a better idea to put a popular one AND a less popular one on the form to ensure that you at least get to sort of decide where you go (assuming u get into the less popular of the two) rather than taking a risk. All Souls was appealing but have been warned off it as being far to competitive.
That is what I did when I applied to Camb. Seems a good idea. But the key thing in my experience is which gathered field you apply in, the later you apply the more of the popular colleges are full for grads. Any grad college is likely to take you, but St Ants is a favourite of many from amongst them. Teddy is another non-grad insurance you could put as it has a big MCR and is fun.
Turdburger
Report 10 years ago
Just wondered if there was one College that generally stood out as being (rightly or wrongly) more prestigious than any others. At Cambridge it seems to be relatively clear that it's Trinity
I was under the impression that Kings was "the one" at Cambridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (15)
17.05%
Labour (35)
39.77%
Liberal Democrats (16)
18.18%
Green Party (4)
4.55%
Brexit Party (3)
3.41%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (2)
2.27%
Plaid Cymru (2)
2.27%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)