The Student Room Group

Most Prestigious Oxford College?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Aha so apply as early as possible basically? Thinking Ch Ch and St Antony's.

So you think even St Antony's is unlikely to reject someone who puts them as their first or second choice?
Reply 21
Turdburger
I was under the impression that Kings was "the one" at Cambridge.

King's is known architecturally for its chapel, but isn't generally considered to be at the top of the 'prestige' tables, not that it matters greatly. King's is still prestigious but probably more 'cool' than Trinity or John's which are a bit more rah-posh.
I nearlly applied to Peterhouse back in the day. Then I saw the light
Reply 23
LOL I always thought Peterhouse was quite nice. Prestigious but too small and out of the way to be that known about really I think.
pendragon
Academically Balliol and Merton.

Isn't it Merton followed by Johns in the latest Norrington table?
Reply 25
tony_ron
LOL ok thanks (though any others keep it coming). I quite liked the look of Christ Church when I was having a look around at xmas. Then again I also find St Antony's appealing and that seems the opposite (anyone know how it has such old buildings at the front considering it was founded in 1950???).

christ church looks absolutely mind-boggling, its just soooooo damn beautiful and some shots from harry potter were filmed there too - is that why it's cited so often, or is it just really really prestigious?
i applied to exeter college - medium-sized, warm and welcoming - my ultimate dream!
Reply 26
tony_ron
King's is known architecturally for its chapel, but isn't generally considered to be at the top of the 'prestige' tables, not that it matters greatly. King's is still prestigious but probably more 'cool' than Trinity or John's which are a bit more rah-posh.

king's ranks near the bottom of the table actually (20 something out of 30ish colleges)
I think the ChCh is just big tbh...

Merton for the prettiest college. Still dont go there.
ADREAM
christ church looks absolutely mind-boggling, its just soooooo damn beautiful and some shots from harry potter were filmed there too - is that why it's cited so often, or is it just really really prestigious?
i applied to exeter college - medium-sized, warm and welcoming - my ultimate dream!

Exeter is lovely :smile:

As others have said probably Christchurch & Magdalen.. the queues of tourists outside Chch!
Mansfield, duh.
Is Wadham at Oxford not 'prestigious'?
Reply 31
southernlight
Exeter is lovely :smile:

As others have said probably Christchurch & Magdalen.. the queues of tourists outside Chch!

wow, you're at exeter?!? i am sooooooooo jealous - you should be so proud of yourself! i just pray that i will meet you next year (that's if i ever get in, of course)! :smile:
ADREAM
wow, you're at exeter?!? i am sooooooooo jealous - you should be so proud of yourself! i just pray that i will meet you next year (that's if i ever get in, of course)! :smile:

Haha I am indeed :smile: I love it here!

What are you applying for? Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 33
southernlight
Haha I am indeed :smile: I love it here!

What are you applying for? Good luck with your application :smile:

Thanks for the good luck - much appreciated :smile:. i'm applying forr medicine, risky i know, but i'm so unbelievably passionate about it! was exeter your first choice college - which other one were you allocated for interview?

Btw, may I ask what the social life is like at exeter, or oxford in general. i know they say that it's really quite fun, but i'm just curious - is it really all they make it out to be?
Reply 34
tony_ron
Aha. Interested in doing graduate studies in Oxford, with St Antony's, Ch Ch and Magd being all quite attractive choices. Worried if I put two popular ones down as my choices that I might not get either. Wondering if it's a better idea to put a popular one AND a less popular one on the form to ensure that you at least get to sort of decide where you go (assuming u get into the less popular of the two) rather than taking a risk. All Souls was appealing but have been warned off it as being far to competitive.

You can't actually apply to All Souls for a postgraduate degree (or an undergraduate degree, for that matter).
ADREAM
Thanks for the good luck - much appreciated :smile:. i'm applying forr medicine, risky i know, but i'm so unbelievably passionate about it! was exeter your first choice college - which other one were you allocated for interview?

Btw, may I ask what the social life is like at exeter, or oxford in general. i know they say that it's really quite fun, but i'm just curious - is it really all they make it out to be?

I was allocated to Teddy Hall. Hehe, good luck with that - 2 of my closest friends here are both medics at Exeter :smile:

Don't worry about social life - you will always find someone in college doing something, whether it be a night out clubbing, night in the bar.... pretty much anything. And as you said, Exeter is a very friendly college, pretty much everyone gets on with each other :smile: Personally I'm not much of a clubber, but my friends who are seem to enjoy it!
Reply 36
Turdburger
Balliol is odd in that its not very old or exceptionally pretty (well the buildings arent) or very rich but still very popular and "prestigious".

I would say Merton, Magdalen and Balliol. Then Johns Ch Ch Univ, Brasenose, Trinity.

I think our front quad is very pretty - especially on a sunny summer's day, when the stone just glows... :love:

Garden quad has got a monstrosity or two, but for sheer leafy expansiveness, it's awesome.
TheMeister
Is Wadham at Oxford not 'prestigious'?

It seems like a great college to me. It's simply that it is quite a 'progressive' college, and has a reputation as being generally quite left-wing. It's very pretty though -- so traditional in one sense but not in another (i.e. architecture vs. typical student).
Reply 38
Christ Church and Jesus are most well known from Oxford, as far as I know anyway. :biggrin: That almost equates to prestige, as Oxford and Cambridge are the unis known of globally, and they're prestigous. :p: :smile:
Reply 39
St. Toff's is easily the most prestigious.

Also you can't apply to All Souls as a student so there's not much point mentioning it here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending