The Student Room Group

What option should I choose from

Option 1: do a BTEC in business and go into uni to do LLB law

Option 2: resit a few of my GCSE go onto sixth from and do 1 A level and 2 BTECS and then go onto uni. I have been deciding but I don’t know what option to choose from and I don’t know which one will benefit me more as unis prefer A level over BTEC. Any advice. Thanks
Original post by Sasha_123
Option 1: do a BTEC in business and go into uni to do LLB law

Option 2: resit a few of my GCSE go onto sixth from and do 1 A level and 2 BTECS and then go onto uni. I have been deciding but I don’t know what option to choose from and I don’t know which one will benefit me more as unis prefer A level over BTEC. Any advice. Thanks

Pick some unis which you might be interested in applying to and check their entry requirements. Would they'd accept a BTEC Extended Diploma in Business (which I assume is what option 1 is), or would they prefer 2 BTEC Extended Certificates and an A level (which I assume is what option 2 is)?

I just did a quick search and found that for LLB Law at The University of Manchester they say here that "The School accepts Pearson BTEC Level 3 qualifications for entry as long as it is in a relevant subject and taken alongside A-levels." So that rules out option 1. They go on to say, "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate - accepted with grade D in combination with two A-levels at grades A*A in different subject areas to the diploma.", which rules out option 2 too.

This contrasts with Brunel university, which says here that they'd be happy with "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma DDM in Business, Applied Law or Public Services" (i.e. option 1). They don't list any option that I can see that covered two BTEC Extended Certificates plus an A level.

Have you got as far as thinking about individual unis yet? It might be worth you doing so, in order to establish which of your two options would suit them best.
Original post by DataVenia
Pick some unis which you might be interested in applying to and check their entry requirements. Would they'd accept a BTEC Extended Diploma in Business (which I assume is what option 1 is), or would they prefer 2 BTEC Extended Certificates and an A level (which I assume is what option 2 is)?

I just did a quick search and found that for LLB Law at The University of Manchester they say here that "The School accepts Pearson BTEC Level 3 qualifications for entry as long as it is in a relevant subject and taken alongside A-levels." So that rules out option 1. They go on to say, "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate - accepted with grade D in combination with two A-levels at grades A*A in different subject areas to the diploma.", which rules out option 2 too.

This contrasts with Brunel university, which says here that they'd be happy with "BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma DDM in Business, Applied Law or Public Services" (i.e. option 1). They don't list any option that I can see that covered two BTEC Extended Certificates plus an A level.

Have you got as far as thinking about individual unis yet? It might be worth you doing so, in order to establish which of your two options would suit them best.

The unis I have chosen are Durham, Lancaster, Bristol, Manchester, and queens Mary

I have picked out theses unis but I don’t know what will benefit me for now and the future. I have decided what GCSEs I need to resit what are Maths, combined science and History. If I pass all of these I will have sixth GCSE
The unis I have chosen are Durham, Lancaster, Bristol, Manchester, and queens Mary

I have picked out theses unis but I don’t know what will benefit me for now and the future. I have decided what GCSEs I need to resit what are Maths, combined science and History. If I pass all of these I will have sixth GCSE

Durham say here that they want either three A levels or a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma. There's no mention I can see of BTEC National Extended Certificates, so they'll only be happy with your option 1.

Lancaster say here that they want "A Level AAB" or "BTEC Distinction, Distinction, Distinction", but point out that "We welcome applications from students with a range of alternative UK and international qualifications, including combinations of qualifications." If we double-check that here we can see that "We accept the following BTEC Level 3 qualifications for the majority of our degree programmes", where that list includes both "BTEC National Extended Diploma / BTEC Extended Diploma (equivalent to 3 A levels)" and "BTEC National Extended Certificate / BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (equivalent to 1 A level)". They seem sufficiently flexible that your option 1 or 2 should be fine.

Bristol say here that they'd want "D*DD in any Applied General BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma". However, they also say here that "BTEC Extended Certificates must be accompanied by at least one A-level (or equivalent academic qualification)". So they're happy with your option 1 or 2.

Manchester say here that "The School accepts Pearson BTEC Level 3 qualifications for entry as long as it is in a relevant subject and taken alongside A-levels." Note the plural there. For "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate - accepted with grade D in combination with two A-levels at grades A*A in different subject areas to the diploma." So that would appear to rule out your options 1 and 2.

Queen Mary is a bit more vague. If you check their BTEC page here you'll see that for the Law LLB course they say, "All BTEC subjects are considered on a case by case basis". So we don't know what they'd actually accept.

Overall, a single BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (your option 1) would seem a slight better approach, as Durham clearly state they'd be happy with it - but don't say so for your BTEC / A level split (option 2). Manchester is out, and Queen Mary is a maybe, for both options 1 and 2.

Note that I've ignored any GCSE requirements at each uni as you haven't actually said what GCSEs you have (subjects and grades).
Durham say here that they want either three A levels or a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma. There's no mention I can see of BTEC National Extended Certificates, so they'll only be happy with your option 1.

Lancaster say here that they want "A Level AAB" or "BTEC Distinction, Distinction, Distinction", but point out that "We welcome applications from students with a range of alternative UK and international qualifications, including combinations of qualifications." If we double-check that here we can see that "We accept the following BTEC Level 3 qualifications for the majority of our degree programmes", where that list includes both "BTEC National Extended Diploma / BTEC Extended Diploma (equivalent to 3 A levels)" and "BTEC National Extended Certificate / BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (equivalent to 1 A level)". They seem sufficiently flexible that your option 1 or 2 should be fine.

Bristol say here that they'd want "D*DD in any Applied General BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma". However, they also say here that "BTEC Extended Certificates must be accompanied by at least one A-level (or equivalent academic qualification)". So they're happy with your option 1 or 2.

Manchester say here that "The School accepts Pearson BTEC Level 3 qualifications for entry as long as it is in a relevant subject and taken alongside A-levels." Note the plural there. For "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate - accepted with grade D in combination with two A-levels at grades A*A in different subject areas to the diploma." So that would appear to rule out your options 1 and 2.

Queen Mary is a bit more vague. If you check their BTEC page here you'll see that for the Law LLB course they say, "All BTEC subjects are considered on a case by case basis". So we don't know what they'd actually accept.

Overall, a single BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (your option 1) would seem a slight better approach, as Durham clearly state they'd be happy with it - but don't say so for your BTEC / A level split (option 2). Manchester is out, and Queen Mary is a maybe, for both options 1 and 2.

Note that I've ignored any GCSE requirements at each uni as you haven't actually said what GCSEs you have (subjects and grades).

Thank you. I think the D in the BTEC is equivalent to an A at A level.
Thank you. I think the D in the BTEC is equivalent to an A at A level.

Yup, if we're talking about an Extended Certificate.

D* = A*
D = A
M = C
P = E

See here.

Quick Reply

Latest