The Student Room Group

Need advice on selecting my firm

I’ve received 5/5 offers (yay!) but I need some guidance on what universitiy to choose as my firm and insurance. I applied to Loughborough, UoBristol, Durham, UoNottingham and UoBirmimgham with the intention of firming Durham and making Uni of Bham my insurance but now I’m torn.

For context, I’m from Birmingham and my ideal uni situation would be living at home and helping my parents out while also being able to work and study at the same time. It would make sense for me to attend university in my city if it’d be better for me financially but uni of Birmingham isn’t the best institution for my course. I applied for economics and while none of my uni choices are particularly well known for the subject some are “better” that others. If I wasn’t to go to UoB, UoN would be my first choice seeing as it’s arguably better for econ and is very well respected/recognised - also love the campus and city lol.

I know that Birmingham is a well respected RG uni too and maybe I’m overthinking but I’m just worried that maybe it’d limit my opportunities in comparison to Nottingham, Durham, etc. I’d be perfectly fine with going to UoB but some reassurance would help a lot!!!

Also considered commuting from Brum to Notts but I’ve only heard bad things about commuting and the trip is close to 2 hours both ways… :frown:

TL;DR Essentially I’m torn between going to a RG uni that’s well respected and would allow me to live at home & save money BUT it’s not as good for my degree subject, or choosing to go to another (probably even more so) respected RG uni that’s arguably better for my degree but would “force” me to move out when I don’t want to.
(edited 1 year ago)
What is your subject?
Original post by melancollege
What is your subject?

The original posts says, " I applied for economics..."
Original post by DataVenia
The original posts says, " I applied for economics..."

Whoops, I didn't see that
Original post by iamconfusionnn
I’ve received 5/5 offers (yay!) but I need some guidance on what universitiy to choose as my firm and insurance. I applied to Loughborough, UoBristol, Durham, UoNottingham and UoBirmimgham with the intention of firming Durham and making Uni of Bham my insurance but now I’m torn.

For context, I’m from Birmingham and my ideal uni situation would be living at home and helping my parents out while also being able to work and study at the same time. It would make sense for me to attend university in my city if it’d be better for me financially but uni of Birmingham isn’t the best institution for my course. I applied for economics and while none of my uni choices are particularly well known for the subject some are “better” that others. If I wasn’t to go to UoB, UoN would be my first choice seeing as it’s arguably better for econ and is very well respected/recognised - also love the campus and city lol.

I know that Birmingham is a well respected RG uni too and maybe I’m overthinking but I’m just worried that maybe it’d limit my opportunities in comparison to Nottingham, Durham, etc. I’d be perfectly fine with going to UoB but some reassurance would help a lot!!!

Also considered commuting from Brum to Notts but I’ve only heard bad things about commuting and the trip is close to 2 hours both ways… :frown:

TL;DR Essentially I’m torn between going to a RG uni that’s well respected and would allow me to live at home & save money BUT it’s not as good for my degree subject, or choosing to go to another (probably even more so) respected RG uni that’s arguably better for my degree but would “force” me to move out when I don’t want to.

Firstly ignore RG it is meaningless. All these are broadly equivalent . The big questions to ask are whether you will have the to#ime to work many hours and what you will miss by studying from home socially..

Hi there,

We recently put out a video from our recent podcast episode on choosing your university and weighing up your options.

It's a difficult choice to make with so much to consider but hopefully you can get some useful tips from the video, there might be something you hadn't considered originally.

Best of luck,

Tom
The decision ultimately comes down to you. Uni life is much more than the subject you study. Accommodation and travel also play a major role in the decision you make. I would recommend you make a list and weigh the pros and cons of attending each uni.

Also note that the deadline for you to declare your firm and insurance choice is 8 June. There's no need to rush a decision as complex as this. Take your time and work through it slowly.

All the best! :smile:

Hi @iamconfusionnn,

First of all congrats on getting five offers from your chosen Universities, that really is a great outcome!

In terms of deciding on where to firm and insure, there really is no right answer. I struggled over my decision for some while and eventually came to it after getting a feel for all the campuses, and weighing up the respective pros/cons of each Uni and course.

If you have the opportunity to, I would really recommend going to an offer holder day for at least the top 2-3 unis you're considering. You'll get to have a more in depth look at the course and facilities, and see if you can picture yourself living there for the next 3-4 years.

Some other things to consider when making your choices might be
- accommodation cost, availability and application process
- public transport options and costs from home to each Uni (and how long will this take)
- opportunities for study abroad or work placements
- the surrounding areas or city nearest to the universities, do you like spending time here, would it suit your interests and hobbies?

Remember, you have until June to select your firm/insurance choices, so make sure to take your time and think about which Uni and course would work the best for you and your life :smile:

I hope this helps but if you have any questions please get in touch! - Molly :smile:

Hi @iamconfusionnn

Well done on getting 5 offers that's really great! I'm currently in my first year at Loughborough and thought I might be able to offer some advice as I was in the same position as you not too long ago!

Choosing a uni can be such a hard decision - especially when you have lots of options. I think the most important thing is to choose somewhere where you can see yourself fitting in and wanting to live and study. I would recommend visiting your top 2 or 3 choices to get an idea of the feel of the uni and what it would be like to study there. It helps to visit more than one uni as you can then compare them more easily as before I'd visited my first uni I had nothing I could compare it to!

I think attending offer holder days is a really good opportunity to learn more about the course you want to do and what you'll actually study and what the unis really like. I found it really helpful to speak to the students on the offer holder days as they were able to give you a good idea about the uni and what it's like to go there.

At the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right for you. Each uni offers something unique so I would suggest looking at what you want from a uni and comparing it to what the uni can offer. This can help narrow down your choices and help you make a decision.

I hope this helped and if you have any other questions feel free to get in contact :smile:

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending