The Student Room Group

Struggling to balance work with study

I started a new job and I’m struggling to balance it with my study, should I quit or could it get better?
Hi I have started a job about 2 months ago and I know it can be hard to balance What I would do is ask your boss to decrease your hours and then find a decent amount of hours that you can work while focusing on school and being able to provide for yourself I do not know what you're like but with me, school is first then work
Original post by Anonymous
I started a new job and I’m struggling to balance it with my study, should I quit or could it get better?

Hi there!
Sorry to hear you're struggling to find a balance between them both. I understand it's hard living at uni and earning enough to live comfortably whilst also getting your work done. My advice on this is to think long-term about how much money you're spending on university. You've got to get the most out of it to make sure you're getting your money's worth. Unfortunately sometimes that means prioritising uni over part-time work. Have you tried asking your boss for reduced hours? I'm sure they'd understand. Especially when deadlines are due you'll find it more-so difficult to find a good balance and you'll end up burning yourself out.

Hope this helps!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Your studies should be your priority, but that doesn't not mean that you have to quit your job!

It may be an idea to think about the hours you are doing and if you could do less, or if you should move your hours to alternative days.

For example, it may be easier to do your part-time job when you have a long day at uni and know that you have no plans to study later. You could then keep the day that you have off university to study.

If you are taking the bus/train to work, then you could make some revision cards to go over.

Or at work, if gets quiet, you could mentally be thinking about stuff you need to memorise or seeing if there is any inspiration you can gain from your surroundings.

You may have to be more creative with your time.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 2nd year podiatry student– University of Huddersfield

Hi anon!

It can be really tricky to balance study with a part-time job and having a social life! I would definitely agree with what the other reps have said, sometimes you need to prioritise uni work over part-time work, however, i would say you shouldn't quit your job! Maybe ask your boss if they can reduce your hours or be more flexible when you are required to work to give you more time during the week for your studies.

After a few weeks you may feel like you get into a routine and you can balance your study time and work life. Its all about time management which can be tricky with deadlines approaching!

Remember to take time for yourself and try not to run yourself into the ground doing too much part-time work and study as ultimately you do not want to burn yourself out just like the Hallam student rep has mentioned.

I hope it gets better for you soon!

Carly :smile:

Hi there,
It can be easy to get the wrong balance when you are working and studying. If you are feeling like you might be working too much maybe you could consider working less and explaining to your work why you want to do this. You might decide later on that you are able to take on a few more hours, but you don't want to be burning yourself out. It can also take time to build time management skills and decide what works best for you.

I hope this helps you,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

Hi there,

- Panic no more! Here are top tips to help combat stress as a working student.

Create a Plan
Your education needs full concentration and so, prioritizing and organizing your time early is the best bet against deadlines catching up with you. Get a personal journal (or use that nice sticky note of yours to decorate a portion of your room), write the task(s) for the week and make effort to be on track with them. Struggling to solve an essay that is due is not a situation you wish to see yourself in,

Update Your Employer
As you have decided to work during studies, you should always in honesty communicate with your employer about your study in order to get a flexible working schedule. Your working hours should not clash with your study hours. There should be a perfect balance between them to avoid missing out on either of them and rendering the attention that each of them deserves.

Eat Properly
Juggling with work and study can be really draining health wise and not feeding on good meals will lead to body break down. Remaining healthy is the key! Avoid eating junk always and eat nutritious food throughout the day to keep up with the energy demanded of. Also taking enough fruits in its season will be of more benefit to your health.

Know Your Pace
Understanding yourself and knowing what works best for you is a good deal. You should know the best time to study after class and know when to rest from the day’s activities. You should also know how fast you are in understanding what you have been taught and start reading early to meet up.

Get Enough Rest
Remaining healthy both physically and mentally is the best. Going through work stress and school stress without rest is detrimental to the health. Know when you have reached your limit in carrying out task(s) and rest. Getting enough rest daily adds to productivity. You should sleep a minimum of 7 to 8 hours in a day.

Communicate
Speaking to people can go a long way mentally. When overwhelmed as a result of the stress that comes with the race, it is best you speak to your loved one(s), colleagues or a professional to help ease off. Bottling up your emotions will not be beneficial to your mental health and so, I urge you to speak at any slightest inconvenience you encounter.

Hope this helps!

Chuks- Alumni Rep University of Bradford

Quick Reply

Latest