The Student Room Group

i don't know anything about any universities

obviously i'm not gonna ask someone here to tell me all the stereotypes of every uni but does anyone know a good place to find out? i dont live in the uk so dont really know the general feel of each county let alone the uni's in them thanks x
Original post by atarisroses
obviously i'm not gonna ask someone here to tell me all the stereotypes of every uni but does anyone know a good place to find out? i dont live in the uk so dont really know the general feel of each county let alone the uni's in them thanks x

You can start from the subject you want to study, and maybe look at how unis rank for that subject (but bear in mind that rankings are not the be-all and end-all, and aren't important for every subject). Also see how unis offering your subject rank for factors like student satisfaction, graduate employment etc. Consider where you might prefer to live and study: would you like to be in a big city like London? Maybe a campus just outside the city? Or a more rural campus like Keele? Would you like to be by the coast? Would you want to be within a certain distance of home/be able to travel to/from home reasonably easily? Once you have an idea of what towns/unis you might want, you can have a look at their websites to see what the accommodation is like, what sports/social clubs they offer, what the course content is like, etc to get a feel for them. You can also use TSR to try and reach out to current students at that uni to ask questions about their experience. Best of luck!
I think the above is a great reply and all I would add is that you might want to be considering any hobbies you might have - if you love going to the theatre or visiting museum exhibitions then you might need to be within easy reach of a larger city, but if you're into hiking or rock climbing then that might rule out a lot of the south of England!

As the reply above suggested, once you've got a slightly narrowed down list of potential unis/ places then you can start speaking with students who've lived and studied there.

Best of luck!

Hi there,

I would say a lot of the time university stereotypes just aren't true. Due to universities having many different available courses they natraully attract students from a variety of different backgrounds which normally flaws that idea of a particular university stereotype.

I'd personally recommend looking at the university table rankings and at particular university websites as they provide a better outlook on different universities specific strengths that you may be looking for when wanting to apply for university.

It may also be worth thinking about the sort of setting you would want to live in as it varies with different universities as some university campuses are located in the heart of major cities whilst others are in a much more rural location.

I really hope this advice helps - Kyle Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador :smile:

Hi,
You can find all of the rankings for the course you want to study online, the best thing to do after that is to think about what kind of lifestyle you want, is it nightlife, beach, shopping etc. That will help to inform your choices.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Digital Ambassador
Uni of Sunderland
Hey!

The Uni Guide is a great website to start your research on, alongside here as well :smile:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/

Good luck :biggrin:

Hi atarisoses,
Like some of the other posters have said, it's often not entirely accurate to base a decision on university stereotypes and the best thing to do is to make a decision based on your priorities and what you think is important to your university experience. Definitely start by thinking about what course you'd like to do, and check out rankings and websites like https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/.

Once you've narrowed down your selection, you can start looking at each university city or town in turn. Ask yourself questions like "do I want to live in a big city with lots of nightlife and culture?" or "would I prefer a quiet university town?". A quick google should give you an idea but it's also worth delving deeper into subforums on TSR or checking out blogs. We've done quite a few on different uni cites/towns where we host accommodation. For example, you can check out one we've done recently on Chester here: https://bit.ly/3Gj1Zd7.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi there,
I would recommend looking online for virtual tours or contacting he uni if you're looking for that kind of insight. There are also lots of websites online that students use to rate their university.

I hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest