The Student Room Group

Med A Level Subjects

I'm hoping to study med in Oxbridge/a medical school back home. My A Level subjects have been narrowed down to (naturally) Bio, Math and Chem. For my final subject, I can't decide between psychology and german. I really enjoy german, but psychology seems like a more favourable option (it just looks much better). Opinions?
You only need 3 A levels
Reply 2
Original post by sweather
I'm hoping to study med in Oxbridge/a medical school back home. My A Level subjects have been narrowed down to (naturally) Bio, Math and Chem. For my final subject, I can't decide between psychology and german. I really enjoy german, but psychology seems like a more favourable option (it just looks much better). Opinions?

you have bcm so you'll be fine if you take german!
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
You only need 3 A levels

some schools require you to take four
Do you want to do 4 A levels? That’s very difficult, maybe do 3 and get better grades in them instead.
Original post by mymelo
some schools require you to take four

Really?
Reply 6
our school needs us to do four!
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Really?

in most cases i know of they let you drop one after a year, but a lot of selective schools make you do 4
Original post by mymelo
in most cases i know of they let you drop one after a year, but a lot of selective schools make you do 4

In that case, you should argue that four A levels confer no benefit to a UCAS application, and actually risk you doing superbly in the three A levels on your university offer will be based. For the vast majority of candidates, there is really no benefit or justification for taking four A levels.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
In that case, you should argue that four A levels confer no benefit to a UCAS application, and actually risk you doing superbly in the three A levels on your university offer will be based. For the vast majority of candidates, there is really no benefit or justification for taking four A levels.

i agree with you entirely but in my experience schools are very firm with this. every year students bring it up and ask them to change it but they absolutely will not (unless an individual has particular circumstances) its stupid but it is what it is
Original post by sweather

Heya!
You only need 3 alvls and A*A*A* is better than A*AAA, especially with medical unis which are super competitive. You could pick 4th one and drop it later. I did German but had to drop it because the workload was getting overwhelming but it was a nice subject to do! If you enjoy essays then psychology would be good for you :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest